4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 13, 2011 2:50 AM by BITESBITER

How do I get the most of my 24 bit audio?

Cre8whenitsl8

We recently shot a project where all our audio was sent to digital recorders at 24 bit, 48k... when I import the files to Premiere there doesn't seem to be any issues, but I can't find settings when creating a new sequence that allows for 24 bit audio (just 12 and 16 bit). If anyone could help me understand the following I would greatly appreciate it:

1. Are there settings for using 24 bit audio in a sequence? If so, where?

2. If there are no 24 bit settings, does that mean my project refers to the original high quality file even though the sequence is set at 16 bit? Or is my 24 bit audio being modified to 16 bit when I drop it into the sequence?

3. I guess the main question is: is it worth it for me to use 24 bit audio in my Premiere projects?

Thank you for the help.

Avery

• 1. Re: How do I get the most of my 24 bit audio?
          Jim_Simon Level 8

To the best of my knowledge:

1. No

2. Modified.

3. No.

• 2. Re: How do I get the most of my 24 bit audio?
            the_wine_snob Level 9

For the standard PrPro output formats, the Audio will be down-sampled to 16-bit. Now, when you Import, PrPro will Conform those files to 48KHz 32-bit floating point (in CFA format) for editing.

Other than from an audio editor, such as Adobe Audition, I think that the 48KHz 16-bit will be as good as it gets.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: How do I get the most of my 24 bit audio?
              Cre8whenitsl8 Level 1

Thank you both for posting a response. I appreciate the insight Bill - it is good to know that the 24 bit depth is conserved while adding effects. That is good enough reason for me to keep getting the higher quality audio for input. I'm not too concerned about outputing a 16 bit file - that is plenty good for me.

• 4. Re: How do I get the most of my 24 bit audio?
                BITESBITER Level 1

Hi,

When working with *24bits in a *32 bits floating-point internal environment you have *8 extra bits (these are *wordlengths and have nothing to do with the sample frequency as stated above!) and gives you virtually a endless headroom ( even above 0 db on individual channels).

But at the end (after the master and out of your soundcard that is ***16 or 24 bits) the wordlength gets changed (shortened from 32 to 24 or *** 16 bits)  and the sample frequency sampled down eventually as well,  the master output has to stay a *little under 0 db *depending of the type of sound.

To answer your question: "It makes perfect sense to work with larger wordlenghts, because no matter you go down to 16 bits at the end, you have a much better sound quality and bigger headroom during mixing and at the end even when it's downsized  to 16 bits."

***16 bits in Premiere Pro

David