5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 13, 2011 8:22 AM by Rick Gerard

Format constraints...

MrBenner97978

Hi everyone

I've created an After Effects project that is 1080 x 1920 (Pixel Aspect Ratio: Square Pixels).  Rendering it out in Quicktime format is fine, but when I try to render it out as an FLV or MPEG-4, I get this message:

"Warning: Output file will be resized from 1080 x 1920 (1.0 PAR) to 1080 x 1080 (0.91) to meet format constraints."

I tried fixing this by changing the Pixel Aspect Ratio to D1/DV NTSC (0.91).  Images are stretched out a bit horizontally, which, I believe, will go back looking normal on a digital signage screen, but I can't be sure.

If I do render it out with the Pixel Aspect Ratio as Square Pixels, there is extra space added to both sides of the original stage/screen area.

What's the best possible way to have my project rendered out as an FLV or MPEG-4, without any resizing of the screen, or stretching of images.

Thank you very much for taking the time to read this.

- B

• 1. Re: Format constraints...
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

MPEG 4 has very specific frame sizes. Your best option is to work at a comp that matches one of these. I'm not sure why you're getting the warning because I don't see the Ouptut module settings.

Don't change the PAR from what it is. Don't use MPEG 4 output from AE for anything but tests. Use the Adobe Media Encoder for all of this kind of work. That's the best way to get the smallest file size and best image. Make sure you're using multi pass encoding for delivery.

• 2. Re: Format constraints...
            MrBenner97978 Level 1

Thank you, Rick.  By using Adobe Media Encoder, I wasn't able to convert the quicktime file to an FLV in its original size, but I was at least able to encode it in F4V format while maintaining a high quality look (by using multi-pass).  My understanding is that F4V is very close to FLV.

Once again, many thanks!

• 3. Re: Format constraints...
              Dave LaRonde Level 6

1080x1920 is an interesting aspect ratio.  It sounds like someone wants to play back video on an HD monitor rotated 90 degrees. 

If that's the case, you actually need to render 1920x1080 video... but you need to know which way the monitor is being rotated: clockwise or counterclockwise.  You can work in a 1080x1920 comp if you'd like, and when the AE work is done, you nest it in a 1920x1080 comp, rotating the nested comp 90 degrees.  If they're going to rotate the monitor clockwise, you rotate the nested comp clockwise and vice-versa.

If they don't KNOW which way they'll rotate the monitor, they really need to get their act together.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Format constraints...
                MrBenner97978 Level 1

What my client wanted was a motion graphics short to be shown on a vertically-oriented digital-signage display, possibly to be shown in a store setting.  First time I've done anything in that kind of ratio/display.

I'll look more into nesting and rotating comps.  That might come in handy for a future project.

Thanks!

• 5. Re: Format constraints...
                  Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I do this kind of thing all the time. I simply create a sideways comp, usually 1080 X 1920, complete my animation, then drop that comp in a new standard HD comp, rotate it 90º and render. Most of the time we're going to DVD rather than BluRay because most of my client's monitors have built in DVD players. We always hand the displays with the traditional bottom of the set on the right side because that's the side that takes the DVD's.