15 Replies Latest reply on Dec 22, 2011 7:08 PM by the_wine_snob

iPhone 4s

Werve

Which project setting should I use when importing video from my iPhone 4s? I have tried several of the 1080p options, a "Flip" option and even rendered it once, but the video is still is jerky.

Now, I am not a Harvard MBA or anything, but I would think it would behoove Adobe to support this new iPhone thing, seems like it may take off, but maybe the "Flip" camera will come back, what do I know.

• 1. Re: iPhone 4s
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Here is a recent THREAD on the iPhone 4S, and maybe something in it will prove useful.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: iPhone 4s
            Werve Level 1

Thanks Bill.

I looked at that thread but still don't see the answer to my question. I am suprised I am the only one asking it though. I mean they are selling literally millions of iPhones a day, it is the number one camera on Flikr, but yet on the "Premiere" consumer video editing program I don't see any support for it.

I must be missing something.

• 3. Re: iPhone 4s
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>suprised I am the only one asking

Well, the point of what Hunt posted is that you are NOT the only one asking... and nobody, so far, has found a solution

What does Apple provide, with the phone, to edit the video produced by the phone?

What does Apple say about the details of the codec used by the phone?

The problem with a new device is that the software sold by other companies does not always work without updates

I do not work for Adobe, so I have NO idea if Adobe is working on an update

• 4. Re: iPhone 4s
                the_wine_snob Level 9

One problem with new cameras/phones, is that they are released after an NLE (Non Linear Editor) program has been developed and released. Remember, the iPhone 4S was supposed to be the iPhone 5, but was pushed out as the 4S.

This happens often, a program is released, and then a new recording device comes along and does not work so well. Apple is not a friend of Adobe's, so it would not surprise me, that Apple kept everything about the iPhone 4S from Adobe, while PrE 10 and the iPhone 4S were in development. The ultimate goal of Apple is that everyone with an Apple product will ONLY use a Mac and Apple software - no full support for the PC, and no support for programs, from companies, like Adobe.

We see similar with Sony cameras, and Sony Vegas. The new camera comes out, and only Vegas does a really good job with the footage. Well, the development of the two Sony productes are going on together, and all info is shared. Once the release of the camera, and the editor have been done, THEN other companies can get hold of the camera, and work with it, but they are playing "catch up." This is done by design, to sell Vegas, along with the cameras. I think that we have something similar going on here.

The popularity of the 4S will not be lost on Adobe, and they will scurry to catch up. However, with the historic life-span of PrE being on a 12 mo. cycle, development is heavily underway on PrE 11. Will we see an update for PrE 10? Who knows, but I would guess that it will be unlikely.

Wish that I had more for you, and feel certain that there WILL be 4S users, who sort out things with Adobe products. There will likely be a bunch of workarounds, but I doubt that there will be direct response from Adobe. BTW - Adobe and Nokia have formed an alliance, so much phone-camera development has been around the Nokia products, and while some of that might be beneficial with the iPhone, I feel that it will only overlap, where the Nokia phones and iPhones overlap. Also, by the time that PrE 11 comes out, we might actually see that promised iPhone 5, and who knows how much will change between it, and the 4S?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: iPhone 4s
                  Werve Level 1

Thanks Hunt & John, appreciate the help and your detailed replies.

I shot some video with the iMovie ap and the 8mm ap then used the DSLR 1080p30 setting on project settings and that seems to have worked.

Still think Adobe is missing the boat and will end up losing this pissing contest like Kodak, the Betamax, etc etc...

Thanks again for your input...

Mike

• 6. Re: iPhone 4s

You say... Still think Adobe is missing the boat

I said... problem with a new device is that the software sold by other companies does not always work without updates

Adobe has not missed a boat... this particular Apple boat was launched AFTER Premiere Elements 10... so put the blame on Apple for "tweaking" the codec inside their new device, which makes it difficult or impossible to edit with software from a different vendor

The other message thread Hunt linked to had (if I remember correctly) mention that Apple's Quicktime Pro does work... Apple software to edit Apple video

• 7. Re: iPhone 4s
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

If one has no information on the boat, or what time it will sail, then yes, maybe it was missed. I blame that on Apple, for keeping their development under wraps, and away from the "prying eyes" of Adobe. Heck, they kept it under wraps from their marketing department, as they said it would be the iPhone 5, and not the 4S.

Too bad that Adobe does not have a crystal ball, to know what Apple, and many others, might bring out, before the next PrE version, but that is life.

My suggestion would be to get a cheap Mac, with iMovie, or similar, and edit there.

Hunt

• 8. Re: iPhone 4s

>cheap Mac

Isn't that an Oxymoron?

• 9. Re: iPhone 4s
                          Big_Gulp_72

I'm having the same issues from an iPhone 4s. The video is very shaky and out of sync with the audio. If I render the video is better but it seems like the quality has been reduced.

• 10. Re: iPhone 4s
                            Werve Level 1

Hey Big Gulp...

Video I have shot on the iPhone 4s using the iMovie ap or the 8mm ap seems to work fine.

I imported the video using the "DSLR 1080p 30" settings.

Please let me know if this works for you and if you have better results with different settings...

werve

• 11. Re: iPhone 4s
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Good news for many iPhone 4S users, and thank you for sharing.

Hunt

• 12. Re: iPhone 4s
                                Big_Gulp_72 Level 1

Hi Werve,

I tried those settings and it still doesn't work in the "monitor" window ( it's still jerky ). However I have noticed that if I double click on the video and it opens a smaller window where it plays fine. Could it be my video card , or lack of video card ( on board video ) ?

Thanks

• 13. Re: iPhone 4s
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

With the Clip(s) on the Timeline, is there a red line above them? If so, then just hit Enter/Return to Render the Timeline for smoothest playback.

Playback in PrE will not be accelerated by the GPU. The two factors are CPU (especially for H.264 CODEC material), and then the I/O, i.e. your HDD's, their speed, controller type, and how you have them allocated. The GPU is way down the list, and far below RAM.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 14. Re: iPhone 4s
                                    Big_Gulp_72 Level 1

I found if I use those settings and set the playback quality in the monitor window to "automatic" it then seems to work. But this now has caused a different issue with elements. How can I create a project that has video from different sources ? For example I want to create a video that has stuff from my iPhone , stuff from a DV video camera ,etc...?

• 15. Re: iPhone 4s
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

PrE does not do a good job with mixed Source Files. PrPro, with MPE and CUDA support from an nVidia card, does a better job.

In PrE, I strongly recommend doing one Project for each type, then Exporting/Sharing to a common format, or converting odd footage before Import, choosing a common format, CODEC and specs., then Importing those "common" files into a PrE Project.

Good luck,

Hunt