7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 13, 2011 2:47 PM by john h hall

After Effects Question

john h hall

My name is John and I want to create a series of shorts ranging in length from 2 - 4 minutes similar to the style of these three videos created here:

1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l01murqKzjo&feature=relmfu

2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGQYHOzLMUk&feature=plcp&context=C27f9fUDOEgsToPDskJDj1DpEx 6u1A9_KIcQETuG

3. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlnWKmkJQwA&feature=relmfu

I have a few hurdles that I have to cross and I would be grateful if you could help me think through the most efficient way of proceeding given my goals and circumstances... I currently have adobe premiere and photoshop cs3... I am not a master at either of these... however, I can get around the software enough to put things together to my liking.... I naturally have a good eye for putting together shorts on a topic... I just want an efficient software that will allow me to put my elements together (i.e. stills, voice overs, music, typography, etc. I won't be using much live footage if any at this time) in away that I can efficiently and quickly put together shorts after I have written my script and without having to go through alot of a learning curve to learn the softeware because I am lacking on time right now...

Here is what I would like to know...

1. How much time would it take me to come up to speed with how to become efficient in the use after effects in your opinion?

2. These short clips will be primarily for youtube... I am not trying to be perfect... I do want to put out alot of them out on my topic of interest though one afer the other in a series... How much time should it take me to be able to create 1 video like one of three above in your opinion?

3. I am a teacher and I found a version that I could by from the academic superstore for $346.00 and I do not have this money right now... do you know of anywhere where I can find trial versions of the software to use?

Thanks for your time...

John

• 1. Re: After Effects Question
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

john h hall wrote:

1. How much time would it take me to come up to speed with how to become efficient in the use after effects in your opinion?

2. These short clips will be primarily for youtube... I am not trying to be perfect... I do want to put out alot of them out on my topic of interest though one afer the other in a series... How much time should it take me to be able to create 1 video like one of three above in your opinion?

3. I am a teacher and I found a version that I could by from the academic superstore for $346.00 and I do not have this money right now... do you know of anywhere where I can find trial versions of the software to use?

Thanks for your time...

John

The basics can be learned in a few days by spending a concentrated effort on "basics" for a couple of hours each day. I'd suggest looking through the Getting Started materials and following the links to tutorials that are there.

The animated stills project can be thrown together in a few hours by a beginner. The pencil animations will take much longer and have a long learning curve.

Adobe has Demo versions of the Master Collection. There are a few features that are locked in demo versions because of licensing restrictions, but you can use the latest and greatest, providing you system is up to the task, for free for 30 days. I'd download one of the suites.

• 2. Re: After Effects Question
            john h hall Level 1

Thanks for your response Rick

What are the system spec's and where can I look in my system to verify that mine are adequate... where can I find a link to the demo version that you suggest....

Thanks

John

• 3. Re: After Effects Question
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

adobe.com. Just click the Adobe icon at the top of the screen and go to Products>Creative Suite.

There's a buy and try option.

• 4. Re: After Effects Question
                john h hall Level 1

Got it thanks Rick...

J-

• 5. Re: After Effects Question
                  john h hall Level 1

Here is another question which I would like to understand...

I have learned that it is called kinetic typography when you are using words... is there a term for a combination of words with stillls, and voice over like in these examples below? Also, do you know of a tutorial that focuses specifically on creating these styles of shorts listed below... rather than going through tutorials that give me pieces of the elements in these shorts... I am looking for a tutorial which concentrates on putting together the shorts in this style in a focused way.... thanks....

1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l01murqKzjo&feature=relmfu

2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGQYHOzLMUk&feature=plcp&context=C27f9f UDOEgsToPDskJDj1DpEx6u1A9_KIcQETuG

3. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlnWKmkJQwA&feature=relmfu

Thanks,

J

• 6. Re: After Effects Question
                    Dave LaRonde Level 6

john h hall wrote:

... I am looking for a tutorial which concentrates on putting together the shorts in this style in a focused way....

That's a tall order. 

Those links are original works, and they use a wide variety of techniques.  AE tutorials tend to show you how to use various aspects of the application, and there are a lot of them.  A tutorial may only focus on one thing, and they may not be the things you specifically want to know. 

I'm afraid you'll be looking a long, long time, and you may not ever find one all-encompassing, "here's only the stuff John Hall wants to know" tutorial.

• 7. Re: After Effects Question
                      john h hall Level 1

Well how about this..... I am going to start taking some tutorials for after effects.... and my goal at the end of  it all will be to able to make shorts in the same type of style done in the three clips that I posted....

I'd be grateful if someone can take a look at the clips and advise me so that when I go looking for tutorials I will have the names of the specific techniques that I would want to make sure that I master so that i will make the most effiecient use of my time and learn those techniques which will allow me to accomplish the goal that I am shooting for....

J