22 Replies Latest reply on Dec 17, 2011 7:03 PM by Tom Cat 1953

Hardware required to play AVCHD DVD from PE 10

dmsketchup

Just downloaded PE10.  Nice to see fast and flawless (so far :-)) support for .m2ts files from my Sony HDR SR7.

I've seen the tutorial on sharing high quality AVCHD to a normal (non-blueray) DVD.  This sounds great.

What specification DVD player would then be required to play the DVD to an HD TV?.  I have a DVD player that is probably 5 years old.  It was before there was alot of HD stuff around, and while I don't really know what "upscaling" etc is regarding new DVD players I see in the stores, I'm pretty sure my DVD player has none of that. 

Or is it that I need to buy a blueray player to play these types of AVCHD/non-blueray dvds created by PE10?

Thanks for any help.

Dave

• 1. Re: Hardware required to play AVCHD DVD from PE 10
          dmsketchup Level 1

OK, probably a dumb question.  I'll need a Blueray DVD player.

Dave

• 2. Re: Hardware required to play AVCHD DVD from PE 10
            Tom Cat 1953

Comment:  If you have to have a Blue Ray to play the disk, why burn on a DVD?  To save disk cost, or because you do not have a Blue Ray burner?  I am just learning Premier so this is a good question for all of us newbies!!

• 3. Re: Hardware required to play AVCHD DVD from PE 10
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

DVDs are standard definition. BluRays are high-definition video.

There's no such thing as a hi-def DVD. Even if you start with AVCHD or hi-def video. Once you output as a DVD it is 720x480.

Fortunately, most new BluRay players will upscale a standard DVD's video so that it will look almost as good as BluRay on an HDTV.

• 4. Re: Hardware required to play AVCHD DVD from PE 10
                dmsketchup Level 1

Hmmm.

The following Adobe tutorial seems to be the source of some confusion then:

http://tv.adobe.com/watch/learn-premiere-elements-10/get-hd-quality-on-standard-dvds-/

Certainly the implication is that you will get a "higher quality" (standard) DVD result if you use the new and exciting option in PE10 to burn AVCHD to a standard DVD.  I am already assuming that you once you create such a dvd, you will play it on a Blue Ray player.

Is the video just hype?

Steve, are you saying that if you follow the instructions (not much to it really) in this tutorial that you will still end up with just a 720x480 result?  If so, will it at least look better than if one had chosen to burn "DVD" rather than "AVCHD" (from the Share Tab in PE10)?  Otherwise, what truly is the point?

Tom Cat 1953: I guess the reason this is interesting is to save the expense of buying blank BlueRay DVD's.  I am expecting (sort of hoping) that standard DVD's burned with the AVCHD will not hold as many minutes of max bitrate video.  I say hoping, because I am hoping the quality will be so terrific that one is happy to pay the price in terms of larger file sizes regarding the image burned to the DVD. 

Looking forward to understanding this.

Thanks.

• 5. Re: Hardware required to play AVCHD DVD from PE 10

AVCHD is a codec option for BluRays -- not DVDs. And it may give you a slightly higher quality picture.

But even that can only be played on BluRay players that are specially equipped to play AVCHD discs.

• 6. Re: Hardware required to play AVCHD DVD from PE 10
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Steve,

From what I have observed, the only time that an AVCHD BD will show any quality gain (marginal at best) over conventional BD, will be where one burns camera (unedited) AVCHD to BD, as that save one Transcoding level. Otherwise, the examples of edited AVCHD BD's is almost identical to conventional BD's, at least in the demos, that I have seen.

Hunt

• 7. Re: Hardware required to play AVCHD DVD from PE 10
                      dmsketchup Level 1

Sorry, don't want to be too dense here (probably too late), and not up on all the acronyms yet, but does BD stand for Blueray Disk? 

If so, Bill: Given HD content (1440 x 1080 .m2ts files for example) on the timeline, are you saying that choosing Share / Disk / AVCHD and burning to a standard 4.7 Gb run of the mill blank DVD can give results as good as (or even better) than if one chooses Share / Disk / Blueray and burns to a more expensive Blueray blank?  Or are you talking about comparing the quality of two methods of burning, both of which burn to expensive Blueray blanks?

I originally just wanted to confirm that Share / Disk / AVCHD to standard DVD will, in general, be better than Share / Disk / DVD to standard DVD.  I'll be overjoyed if the result turns out to be close to Blueray to Blueray disk.

Thanks again, and sorry to run on...

Dave

• 8. Re: Hardware required to play AVCHD DVD from PE 10
                        John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>choosing Share / Disk / AVCHD and burning to a standard 4.7 Gb run of the mill blank DVD

As far as I know, you may not do this DIRECTLY since the share to any HD format requires a BD (BluRay) disc

Again as far as I know, what you MAY do is share a SMALL HiDef project by writing a folder to your hard drive (I think less than 20 minutes worth of HD video) and then using something like Imgburn to write that folder to a DVD... but you still need s BluRay drive to play that HD video

• 9. Re: Hardware required to play AVCHD DVD from PE 10
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Yes, BD = Blu-ray Disc.

I think that John T. has addressed the HD material to DVD-Video question.

Hunt

• 10. Re: Hardware required to play AVCHD DVD from PE 10
                            Tom Cat 1953 Level 1

I am sorry to keep up on this subject!  But when I started with Premier Elements 10 this being my first Premier, I read all the hype about you could use a reg DVD, and I never say anything about having to have a Blue Ray!  Now here is what I may experiment with and see how it works.  My DSL Nikon 5100 takes HD video.  So after editing video and adding stills, If I put that content back onto a 16 GB memory card, my camera will play the video, and has a HDMI plug, but as of now I do not have the HDMI cable to connect to my HD TV.  Do you think this would work, so I can compare the HD content with the DVD content?  It would not make sense to use a high end camera to use all the time for playing content except while visiting kind to show the content!  Has anyone tried this crazy idea? Also have dish network, with the usb connection, so may try that route also.

• 11. Re: Hardware required to play AVCHD DVD from PE 10
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

But when I started with Premier Elements 10 this being my first Premier, I read all the hype about you could use a reg DVD, and I never say anything about having to have a Blue Ray!

I am sorry, but what exactlty are you talking about here? DVD and BD are two, almost totally different set of specs. The physical discs look about the same, but the specs. are greatly different.

What exactly is it, that you want to do?

What does the Adobe info say, about doing that?

Can you point to a URL that says things that are not correct?

Sorry to be at such a loss, but I must be missing something really big here.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 12. Re: Hardware required to play AVCHD DVD from PE 10
                                VDOSurfer Level 3

With PrE10,

You can burn Standard definition SD (720x480 or 720x576) contents to a DVD disc through Export->Disk->DVD option - Play back on a DVD Player

You can burn High definition HD (1440x1080, 1920x1080) content to Blu Ray disc Export->Disk->Blu ray option - Play back on a Blu Ray Player

You can burn HD content to a DVD disc through Export->Disk->AVCHD option - Play back on a Blu Ray Player

Here's hoping there is no more confusion.

• 13. Re: Hardware required to play AVCHD DVD from PE 10
                                  dmsketchup Level 1

I think that's what we needed :-).  Thanks.

In the next couple days, I hope to compare the quality of VDOSurfer's options:

1) burn Standard definition SD (720x480 or 720x576) contents to a DVD disc through Export->Disk->DVD option - Play back on a DVD Player

against

3) burn HD content to a DVD disc through Export->Disk->AVCHD option - Play back on a Blu Ray Player

For 1), I will use my HD .m2ts files that have been converted to standard 720x576 by a third party program (actually, the Sony utility that came with my Sony HDR-SR7 video camera).  To date, this is all I have been able to do and the quality has been so so.

For 3), I will import those HD .m2ts files directly into APR 10.  I now have a Sony Blueray player.  Anxious to see if the quality is any better.

I'll also try to come up with a Gb / minute number.  I'll use only about 10 minutes of video in hopes that the bitrates remain high.

Thanks for the comments so far everyone.  I'll post results here if all goes well.

Dave

• 14. Re: Hardware required to play AVCHD DVD from PE 10
                                    Tom Cat 1953 Level 1

I understand all the things regarding the Blue Ray, and maybe I got the info wrong about being able to use a DVD to record the content and it would be in HD.  My camera takes video in HD, so I just wanted to be able to check and see just how much better my video and slides would be without going out and buying a Blue Ray player and a burner.  I know the cost is not all that High, but yesterday the car decided it needed to go to the doctor at a cost of $700 bucks.  I see the person who started this post is going to do some tests and will report back as to his findings.  Thanks to all for the information, which has helped me gain more information.  When I have time to do my own tests will post back to this forum, my findings.

• 15. Re: Hardware required to play AVCHD DVD from PE 10

You're not really going to compare the quality of a DVD with a BluRay are you, Dave?

A DVD has less than a quarter of the resolution of a BluRay. It's not really a fair fight!

• 16. Re: Hardware required to play AVCHD DVD from PE 10
                                        timdut

Dave's question prompted us to go out and buy a Sony Blu-ray player and try burning an AVCHD Full HD 1080i video project from PRE10 onto a standard DVD +RW disk for a trial. We burned 2 mins of video plus a menu. The resultant AVCHD file was 451 MB. So should be good to get the best part of 20 minutes footage onto a conventional DVD.

The quality of our footage was brilliant (taken on a Sony HDR-SR11), exactly as good as playing the original footage direct from the camera into a Sony Full HD TV via HDMI cable, but the supposedly HD menu template from PRE 10 left a lot to be desired (text was fuzzy). Need to do some more experimenting with the menus.

Happy so far with PRE10, but have only had it for 2 days

Tim

• 17. Re: Hardware required to play AVCHD DVD from PE 10
                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Tim,

Welcome to the forum.

Being new to PrE, you might find some of the resources listed in this ARTICLE useful in gettting up to speed.

Good luck, and happy editing,

Hunt

• 18. Re: Hardware required to play AVCHD DVD from PE 10
                                            dmsketchup Level 1

Well, we got there in the end!  I am overjoyed.  Thanks to all who have helped.  I can finally take full advantage of my HD video camera and share the footage the way I always wanted to.

At the risk of prolonging this discussion , I'll summarize what I did:

I have a Sony HDR-SR7E HD video camera.  This camera is of the hard disk type (as opposed to mini-DVD or whatever).  The manual says it records HD video in AVCHD format 1440 x 1080/50i and audio in Dolby Digital 5.1 ch.  I live in France, so it is a PAL camera (as opposed to NTSC).

When I use the Sony software to take the recorded movies off the camera, it writes a number of .m2ts files to my computer's hard drive.

Start APE10.  I selected the "PAL - Hard Disk, Flash Memory Camcorders - HD 1080i 25 (50i)" preset.  Yours may differ of course.

I added the .m2ts files to my project by selecting the "Get Media" tab and selecting "Files and Folders").

Once the .m2ts files were in APE, I simply dragged a block of them down onto the timeline in the usual manner.  I did not bother putting any transitions in, but I added a few scene markers for the test.  I used about 10 minutes of video.

For the Disk Menu, I used the "Fun" template.  It is one of four that comes included, and this one happens to say "HD" on it, though not sure if that is meaningful (going to test menu options later).

Then, I put a standard DVD-R  blank disk (non-Blueray) in my standard DVD burner (non-Blueray).

From the "Share" tab, I clicked on the "Disk" option.  I chose the "AVCHD" option and hit Burn.

When the burn was finished, I took the disk into the living room and put it in my new Sony BDP-S480 Blueray player.  This is connected to my Sony Bravia HD TV via HDMI.

I hit play, and was amazed!!!  I believer the quality on the TV is indistinguishable from that seen by playing directly from the camera into the TV via HDMI.

Notes:

The Blueray player was not the bottom of the line Sony, but it was only 129 euros, which probably means less than $100 in the US.  Sony sells one over here for 89 euros, so that must be REALLY cheap in the US!

My tests and the results of others in this forum suggest that you should limit your timeline duration to 25 minutes (about 4Gb) to ensure all goes well when recording to a 4.7Gb blank disk.

Hope this can help someone.  With APE10, I suspect there is going to be a run on Blueray players...

Thanks again everyone.  Lots more to learn, so I'm sure I'll talk to you elsewhere in the forum!

Dave

By the way Steve, I'm enjoying your tutorials at Muvipix.  Looking forward to exploring more of your site.

• 19. Re: Hardware required to play AVCHD DVD from PE 10

Great to hear your success story, Dave!

For what it's worth, BluRay is considered one of the biggest disappointments of the technology age. Retailers have used it as an excuse to charge ridiculously higher prices and video rental shops are nearly doubling the cost of a rental. So, although they offer an excellent picture, people aren't jumping onto the new technology they way they did jumping from tapes to CD or VHS to DVDs. Especially since most new BluRay players have a upstep software that can make a DVD look almost as good.

Not that you asked...

• 20. Re: Hardware required to play AVCHD DVD from PE 10
                                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Looking back on the two previous trends, CD and DVD, one thing that is quite different is the support that existed for the individual creation of CD's, and DVD's. Things were easy, until MS and a couple other companies tried to stem the use of DVD-Videos, that were burned, rather than replicated.

When BD won the format wars, Sony went out of its way to stop individual creation of BD's, and have effectively killed small commercial productions from replication houses. This has even trickled down to the small video producer, such as wedding videographers, and similar. There is almost zero support from above, i.e. Sony.

Now, we do have many more streaming options, than when DVD-Videos came about, so their presence would have to be factored into the mix.

Just some observations, having lived through the Digital Video Disks, CD's, DVD's, and now BD.

Hunt

• 21. Re: Hardware required to play AVCHD DVD from PE 10
                                                  timdut Level 1

Happy to say that PrE 10 ability to burn full HD AVCHD video to a cheap DVD for playback in a cheap (nowadays) Blu-ray player means we have not needed to invest in a Blu-ray burner and won't have to curse at the very high cost of Blu-ray disks either. Also happy to say, Steve, that video rental shops in New Zealand charge the same to hire a Blu-ray disk as the same movie on a DVD

FYI, we have had the HD video camera and been recording in Full HD for over 3 years, but only recently started making HD projects: it has taken that long to catch up on all our SD footage that needed to be processed!

• 22. Re: Hardware required to play AVCHD DVD from PE 10
                                                    Tom Cat 1953 Level 1

I really think this discussion in this thread has been very helpful.  At least it has to me, and I hope to be able to make my video into interesting clips with Premier Elements.  So today with all the information in this thread, I purchased a Panasonic Blue Ray player.  Got a good model with 3d even tho I do not have 3d TV, but may some day.  This unit has a slot for SD card. two usb 2 ports, one H
                                                    DMI, one lan, two sound outs, one video out, and one digital sound out.  Also has wireless connection, and says I can use win 7 to send playback across wireless.  Will connect it up tomorrow.  In all the stores there seems to be lots of Blue Ray players, and I see others buying them too.  So like was mentioned above, maybe a run on them now.