12 Replies Latest reply on Dec 12, 2011 3:46 PM by Jacobus2

ACR extremely slow after upgrade from CS4 to CS5

Jacobus2

After upgrading Photoshop and Bridge from 4.0 to 5.0 I can no longer edit photos in ACR (plugin v 6.3) because it now takes impractically long to refresh the image after most changes. For example, on the Basic pane if I change a setting such as Exposure, Brightness, etc. with a slider it takes about 5 seconds before I see the change to the image. Since CS4 is still on my computer if I load CS4 Bridge, open the same image in Camera Raw (plugin v 5.5) the same operation refreshes the image in about a half second. If I can't solve this problem I'll have to abandon CS5 and go back to CS4, which would be a shame. Any ideas?  Thank you!

• 1. Re: ACR extremely slow after upgrade from CS4 to CS5
          Jeff Schewe Level 5

The current version of AR is 6.5 (with ACR 6.6 offered as an RC). Update to the currentent version and get back to us.

• 2. Re: ACR extremely slow after upgrade from CS4 to CS5
            Level 4

You shouldn't be running version 5.5  of the Camera Raw plug-in in CS4 either.  Update to ACR 5.7 ASAP.

One should ALWAYS run the LATEST release of ACR for your version of Photoshop, no exceptions.  Each new release brings unheralded, unannounced and sometimes even unacknowledged bug fixes and improvements, beyond support for newer cameras.

Staying with an older version just because your camera is already supported by it is a very<euphemism>unwise</euphemism> decision.

• 3. Re: ACR extremely slow after upgrade from CS4 to CS5
              ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

ACR 6.x is doing much more in terms of noise-reduction and lens-corrections if those things are enabled.  ACR 5.5 may not be doing any of those things and ACR 5.7 may do some.  If may be time to upgrade your computer to keep up with the RAW engine capabilities, resources permitting, of course.

• 4. Re: ACR extremely slow after upgrade from CS4 to CS5
                Yammer Level 4

There are quite a few new features in v6 which use quite a bit of computer juice. It might be worth checking that you don't have small amounts of thse enabled by default, if your computer isn't the latest thing.

Make a note of any non-default settings in Basic and Camera Calibration, and, from the ACR fly-out menu (to the right of the tab headings), select Reset Camera Raw Defaults.

I've done tests on my own computer, and the worst two culprits are Luminance noise reduction and Lens Correction. If these are slowing things down too much, it may be worth leaving these off, and only using them on shortlisted images.

• 5. Re: ACR extremely slow after upgrade from CS4 to CS5
                  Noel Carboni Level 7

One other possibility:  Assuming you're using a PC, it's never a bad idea to update your display drivers from the web site of the maker of your video card.

-Noel

• 6. Re: ACR extremely slow after upgrade from CS4 to CS5
                    Jacobus2 Level 1

Thank you, folks. I have found the problem, but not the solution. In Camera Calibration if I reset the Process to 2003 the problem mostly goes away (along with the new sharpening, noise reduction features of course). The refresh time goes from 5 seconds to about 1.5, which is tolerable if not great. I have spent time playing with the new sharpening / noise reduction to see how they would improve my results and concluded that they would help with a small percentage of my images (in which cases I had been, and could continue to use Neat Image to better effect anyway). So...  I would happily disable Process 2010 in order to use Photoshop CS5 (when needed) if I could. So that's my problem now: I can't find a way to disable Process 2010 in CR. Changing to Process 2003 does not get saved when I "Save New Camera Raw Defaults". (Yes, eventually I need a new computer, but mine works fine otherwise and far exceeds the stated system requirements for CS5.) So, is there a way to disable Process 2010 in Camera Raw?  Thanks again for your help.

• 7. Re: ACR extremely slow after upgrade from CS4 to CS5
                      Yammer Level 4

Did you try using Process 2010 with Luminance noise reduction set to 0?

• 8. Re: ACR extremely slow after upgrade from CS4 to CS5
                        Jacobus2 Level 1

>> Did you try using Process 2010 with Luminance noise reduction set to 0?<<

Sorry, my reply was not as detailed as it could have been, I was just trying to "cut to the chase". Yes, specifically the performance "problem" with Process 2010 seems to be the Luminance Reduction. Indeed, when I set that to 0 and leave Process 2010 on I get refresh in 1.5 secs. Unfortunately that does not seem to be a solution for me because I am finding that I really cannot get any benefit from the new sharpening algorithms if I don't throw in some Luminance noise reduction. Thank you, Yammer P, for your interest in this matter.

• 9. Re: ACR extremely slow after upgrade from CS4 to CS5
                          Noel Carboni Level 7

Out of curiosity, what processor(s) do you have in your computer?

-Noel

• 10. Re: ACR extremely slow after upgrade from CS4 to CS5
                            Jacobus2 Level 1

Noel-

Processor is Pentium(R) 4 running at 3.00 ghz with 2.00 gb of RAM. (Windows XP SP 3)

• 11. Re: ACR extremely slow after upgrade from CS4 to CS5
                              Noel Carboni Level 7

I looked up the performance of a Pentium 4 at 3 GHz...

On the PassMark benchmark, it garners a score of 491.  Respectable for its day.

But, by comparison, a modern Core i7-2600K scores 10,060, some 20+ times faster.

By that measure, if you wait 5 seconds for a screen update, a modern processor would put the screen update up in 1/4 second.  And that's about what I see - it just feels like a little lag.  It's almost fully interactive.

That's a world of difference - certainly enough to make what's unacceptable for you a non-issue.

I'm not sure you're going to find a solution to this, other than upgrading the old computer, if you want to run the most modern converter...

-Noel

• 12. Re: ACR extremely slow after upgrade from CS4 to CS5
                                Jacobus2 Level 1

Noel-

Thank you very much for your efforts on my behalf, it makes the situation very clear. It's good to be reassured that when I do upgrade my computer I won't have this performance issue with ACR.

-Rick