3 Replies Latest reply: Dec 12, 2011 7:53 PM by Jerrad Gleim RSS

Why does my After Effects CS5.5 keep crashing on me when I switch to other apps?

Jerrad Gleim

I have Adobe After Effects CS5.5 (v.10.5.1) and it keeps crashing when switching between AE and other programs.  Here's a video so you can see what's happening.

I don't have any special plug-ins loaded except for what came with the program.  OpenGL rendering is turned on and have tried turning it off to see if it make the problem go away and it doesn't make a difference.

Greatly appreciate any assistance I can get on this.

Computer System

• Dell Precision M6600 Laptop
      • Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2920XM CPU @ 2.50GHz
      • 16GB RAM
      • 2GB NVIDIA Quadro 4000M
        • Driver Version 285.62
        • Optimus is turned off so it's just the Quadro 4000M Card - no Intel HD Graphics in the background
      • 413GB Free (687GB Total) Primary HD
      • 200GB Free (250GB Total) D Drive
      • Windows 7 64-bit SP1 Professional
      • Adobe Master Collection CS5.5 (Website Download)
      • After Effects v.10.5.1 Update (Website Download version)
        • 1. Re: Why does my After Effects CS5.5 keep crashing on me when I switch to other apps?
          Mylenium CommunityMVP

No idea, but DynamicLink crashes always mean that it's losing connection to one of the relevant helper services, anything from qtserver32 to dynamiclinkserver itself. Since this happens when switching apps, it could mean that some security setting/ tool is isolating the programs and severing the link whenever they are sent into the background/ hibernation.... As a start, check your system event viewer what actualyl happens when the crashes occur. This might provide a clue....

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Why does my After Effects CS5.5 keep crashing on me when I switch to other apps?
            Jerrad Gleim Community Member

I opened the Event Viewer and it listed the problem as an Application Error. Here is the information that it gave me.  Is the .dll file that it's listing causing my problem?

Log Name:  Application
            Source:    Application Error
            Date:      12/12/2011 9:25:48 PM
            Event ID:  1000

Task Category: (100)

Level:     Error
            Keywords:  Classic
            User:      N/A
            Computer:  adsfa-PC

Description:

Faulting application name: AfterFX.exe, version: 10.5.1.2, time stamp: 0x4dc4fb01

Faulting module name: NtrigInterfacePressure.dll_unloaded, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x4d2dae27

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x0000000037e16090

Faulting process id: 0x161c

Faulting application start time: 0x01ccb946c75ad65a

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe After Effects CS5.5\Support Files\AfterFX.exe

Faulting module path: NtrigInterfacePressure.dll

Report Id: 25e2b81d-253a-11e1-9bd8-90004edb40d6

Event Xml:

<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

<System>

<Provider Name="Application Error" />
            <EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>
            <Level>2</Level>
            <Task>100</Task>
            <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
            <TimeCreated SystemTime="2011-12-13T03:25:48.000000000Z" />
            <EventRecordID>11585</EventRecordID>
            <Channel>Application</Channel>
            <Computer>adfsa-PC</Computer>
            <Security />

</System>

<EventData>

<Data>AfterFX.exe</Data>
            <Data>10.5.1.2</Data>
            <Data>4dc4fb01</Data>
            <Data>NtrigInterfacePressure.dll_unloaded</Data>
            <Data>0.0.0.0</Data>
            <Data>4d2dae27</Data>
            <Data>c0000005</Data>
            <Data>0000000037e16090</Data>
            <Data>161c</Data>
            <Data>01ccb946c75ad65a</Data>
            <Data>C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe After Effects CS5.5\Support Files\AfterFX.exe</Data>
            <Data>NtrigInterfacePressure.dll</Data>
            <Data>25e2b81d-253a-11e1-9bd8-90004edb40d6</Data>

</EventData>

</Event>

Any ideas? 

Thanks - jjgleim

• 3. Re: Why does my After Effects CS5.5 keep crashing on me when I switch to other apps?
              Jerrad Gleim Community Member

Mylenium were right.  I google the NtrigInterfacePressure.dll error and found out the driver for the touchscreen on my laptop was causing the crash.  It's a known issue according to the manufacturer and they are working on an update for the driver. 

Here's the link to the website where I found the info: http://forum.notebookreview.com/dell-latitude-vostro-precision/616825-m6600-touchscreen-af ter-effects-cs5-5-a.html.

The site says, "You can fix this by going to: “Windows\system32” and renaming the “wintab32.dll”

This will disable the pen pressure support for adobe programs (After Effects,Photoshop, etc…) but will fix the crash."

I did this and the problem is gone.  It's not crashing anymore which is nice. 

Thanks Mylenium for guiding me through the process of problem solving this issue.  You were a great help!