10 Replies Latest reply on Feb 9, 2013 4:30 PM by the_wine_snob

Elements 10 - Unusable slow painful fustrating

DJ Sures Level 1

Firstly, i'd love to say how awesome your featureset is like the all the other posts i've seen regarding this issue; which start off "omg great work at a neat product" - but the fact is, I haven't been able to experience your product... Because it is terribly slow. The solution to disable Aero or Areo or what ever M$ calls it is unacceptable and did not help me. Finding this forum, filtering through your redirections of "buy customer support" is unacceptable also. I shouldn't have to pay to receive an answer regarding how a poorly designed software package passed your QA.

I have an I7 Extreme Processor with 8 GB of ram and a 110 GB solid state drive in x64 Win 7. The absolute _only_ software installed on this computer (From a bare installation I did myself three weeks ago) is visual studio, office, and this pain-in-the-butt Elements 10. There is absolutely no excuse for the performance issue.

Premiere Elements.exe is currently using 889,980K in my task manager, and I have zero videos loaded on my timeline.

I've been fighting with trying to learn the software under unusable sluggish response. I can't tell if I selected something or not becauase it takes 3-5 seconds to update.

Why did you design your own GUI componenets (sliders, buttons, etc)? Have you learned nothing from iTunes and their issues?

There are hundreds of people with computers powerful enough for this or any software with the same issue. Why are you not addressing it? I purchased this product last week, tried to use it twice, and now I want to throw my laptop out the window. I tell myself - it's not the laptop's fault for having to run such poorly written software. So here, I'm contacting you through the only FREE means possible to notify you of your TERRIBLE build.

Fix it.

• 1. Re: Elements 10 - Unusable slow painful fustrating
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

They're not OUR features and WE didn't develop the program. This is a user-to-user forum. If you'd like to contact Adobe, you should click the Contact Adobe button at the bottom of every page on this web site.

Regardless, I can't imagine how you're getting the poor performance you describe. On the other hand, you haven't said a thing about the type of camcorder you got your video from, how you got the video from the camcorder to the computer and which settings you used in your Premiere Elements project to edit this video. Trust me, if you were using it correctly, you'd get brisk and efficient performance.

Not that it matters. You seem much more interested in voicing your bitter opinions than looking for help. So thanks for sharing.

• 2. Re: Elements 10 - Unusable slow painful fustrating
            the_wine_snob Level 9

DJ,

Welcome to the forum.

Is the SSD your only drive?

For efficient video editing, most find that having at least a 2x physical HDD I/O is much better, than a single drive. Also, SSD's are good and fast for reading, but are quite slow at writing, which will be very necessary, as there is a lot of disc writing that takes place wiht video editing.

With the SSD, a good setup would be to use that only as the system drive w/ the OS and program, and then add a separate, physical SATA II/III HDD, for media, Project and Scratch Disks. With the SSD system HDD, you will probably get a performance boost, by adding two physical HDD's, with one for the Project & Scratch DisKs, and the third for media. With HD material, another level of performance can be gained, if that "media disc," is a RAID 0 array, controlled by a dedicated, RAID controller card.

What are the specs. of your Source Files, and what is the Project Preset, chosen at New Project?

Are you running Win7- 64-bit, or 32-bit, and which version of PrE 10 do you have installed?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Elements 10 - Unusable slow painful fustrating
              VDOSurfer Level 3

In addition to answers to Bill's questions, you might also add WHAT is slow. Launch time? Project creation? Clip addition? Editing? Effects window? Capture? Export? Render? InstantMovie? DVD Burn? Blu Ray burn? DVD Templates? Playback? Analysis?

There are solutions to each one of these that this beautiful forum is filled with. You are just in the right place but for us users to help you, you've got to be more specific. For now, this just seems like one of those reviews that even the reviewers later regret on reading.

• 4. Re: Elements 10 - Unusable slow painful fustrating
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Some people really aren't looking for help, I guess. They just like to gas your direction and walk away.

I'll give it another day and then move this to the No Response Needed forum.

• 5. Re: Elements 10 - Unusable slow painful fustrating
                  VGFerenzi

I am having a lot of the same problems as DJ. I am running a Win 7 x64 with a Core i7 processor and 8GB of Ram as well. I have been using my local HDD and importing to disk through flip software then just opening the file from the HDD.

-Many things seem slow. I can "get media" just fine, but then every time I drop a clip into the timeline it lags for a few seconds. This also happens whenever I apply an effect such as color correction or stabilization this occurs as well. The lag is significant, I won't be able to do anything for a moment or two and then the lag seems to catch up, then a moment later the effect actually takes place. Once I apply an effect the video is virtually unwatchable (choppy/out of synch) until it is rendered. Once it is rendered however I get wavy black borders coming in and out of the frame.

-I had trouble with the install and also had trouble with installing inspiration. I found VDO Surfer's work around this morning.

In general everything slows down way more than it should and at times the program locks up and becomes unresponsive.

I understand DJ's frustration. Let me say first off, that it was not clear that this was a user to user forum and that the redirects on Adobe's website are sketchy at best, so you never really know where your getting off to. Had I not read Steve's response I would have assumed I was going to get answers from other users, but that an Adobe tech support member would also answer, even if just to confirm the advice I received.

I also agree that there seems to be multiple ongoing problems with users running x64. These problems seem to go back as far as PRE 8. I have been using lightroom for quite a while now and love it. I hadn't used PE since version 4 and when I saw Photoshop and Premiere Elements 10 bundled I thought why not, I had been thinking of adding a small HD camcorder to my bag. While I consider my computer acumen to be above average, I am new to video editing. However, when I read available for x64 computers, I assumed that this meant it will work correctly. It seems like Adobe has failed to address many of these issues for a long time. I refer again to the inspiration work around. The average person buying this product will never figure that out on their own, nor should they have to. While I think it is wonderful that VDO was able to and decided to share it with the rest of us, shouldn't someone from Adobe have addressed this by now?

I was very excited to receive this product. I bought it just before a big trip and took hours of footage. Now I can't seem to get through a test video let alone one I would want to show anyone, so I very much understand DJ's frustration with the product. It is one thing to have to work at using the product well, it is another story to work at getting the product to work. At this point it has been all work and no play, however I will work at it a bit longer and can hopefully get everything flowing well.

• 6. Re: Elements 10 - Unusable slow painful fustrating
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Unfortunately, not many people drop by this sub-forum, so it would be best to start a new thread, and post to the main forum, with all the detail possible.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Elements 10 - Unusable slow painful fustrating
                      madelefant1

LOL. Im glad to see this forum. I posted in the regular one and i realize it isn't good to clog that one up with rants so nice there is a place for rants. So Steve G, let us have our rants here now that we have found the appropriate place.  I'm reposting my response in the other forum and you can see i am very specific about it. So as the forum says no response needed.

Mike

Steve, i didn't say i couldn't figure it out. One of the most important things in designing usability into software is that conceptual models of use have continuity in multiple areas of the software interface. I was attempting to use a still frame for the main menu of a dvd disc menu. The interface has an option to use a still frame and there is camera tool for capturing a still from the current frame.   The disc menu also has a caption about dragging media into a space for the main menu graphic. I took a snapshot but discovered it did not add it to the media bin nor was there away to drag it or place it in the space for the main menu graphic. I figured out to export it and then browse to insert it.

In other editing areas there is an option to add things to the media bin of the project from newly created media.  Programming into an interface transferable heuristics increases flow and productivity and reduces the learning curve. Lack of continuity of heuristic models to me is "sphagetti" interface programming. It tends to indicate features were added without evaluation of their integration within the other components of the program.

Mike

• 8. Re: Elements 10 - Unusable slow painful fustrating
                        madelefant1 Level 1

One more thing for you, I've had some experience with pricey software and vendors. I had about everything Logic Audio had to offer and a lot of plugins too before they dropped the price so at least 1200 or so into that.  One problem with this lower levcl offerings is the company sometimes doe it almost like a project. They could can it any time and are usually not concerned about timely fixes.  That is just a general statement because at this point i don't know enough about Adobe as a company but it isn't uncommon.

The reason apple dropped flash was because of how bloated it is (memory hog). Premiere elements really sucks hard drive space and a a lot of it unecessarily.  When I first installed it, the program had an auto-analyzer running in memory even when the program wasn't running. So any piece of media introduced on the machine was being analyzed and creating thise analysis files. In a few days my hard drive, which had a lot of open space was maxed. The only way that makes sense to have running is if your editing/graphics machine is dedicated to that with no other use.

On the positive side, it offers a lot of features for the money. So if you can slog through it, having the features is great. I'd say overall it beats iMovie, but that is if it works well with your machine. Imovies is more likely to work well at the limited features it does do.

One thing for DJ though. 110 gb is a teensy weensy drive for video editing. DO you have an external you could use for the projects and files?

mike

• 9. Re: Elements 10 - Unusable slow painful fustrating
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Yes, that Auto Analyzer seems to have been a real bust. For someone with but a very few media files, I guess that it was OK, but with larger, and rapidly expanding collections, it was not so good.

Similar could be said for the PrE "Background Rendering" function. AVID/Pinnacle tried that years ago (machines were not so fast them), but it brought editing to a stand-still, so they dropped it from at least some of their NLE product line. Adobe PrE users clamored for it, so Adobe tried it. After all, machines had gotten faster, stronger. Still, a bust in most cases, and a "fix" to a non-existent problem.

I am sort of waiting to see how some of the changes to PrE 11 will pan out. Maybe I am just a "status quo" sort of guy, but some of the changes have me scratching my head. Same for a few of the changes to Photoshop and Premiere Pro CS 6. I know that, in the case of PrPro CS 6, a whole lot of work went into making FCP-users feel happy with it, when they jumped ship. However, Adobe made many changes just for them, forgetting about a loyal crowd of PrPro-users, who were left wondering what just happened? My jury is still out there.

Now, if I could just get Intuit to stop moving and renaming EVERYTHING in each new version of Quicken!!!! I almost feel like I need a graduate course in that program now, and I have been using it since it was US $9.95, and shipped on a single floppy.

Software design, and re-design is a tricky subject, and fraught with potential peril. The right decision could spell $M is increased sales, or could be a death knell.

Just some observations,

Hunt

PS - personally, I liked the GUI for PrE 3 better than anything afterwards, but then I have been a Premiere/Premiere Pro user for a very long time, and PrE 3's interface was closer to Premiere, and not "streamlined," like now. Still, maybe for new users, the GUI is just what THEY want.

• 10. Re: Elements 10 - Unusable slow painful fustrating
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

I was attempting to use a still frame for the main menu of a dvd disc menu. The interface has an option to use a still frame and there is camera tool for capturing a still from the current frame.   The disc menu also has a caption about dragging media into a space for the main menu graphic. I took a snapshot but discovered it did not add it to the media bin nor was there away to drag it or place it in the space for the main menu graphic. I figured out to export it and then browse to insert it.

Because I do, just as you wished to, there was a major bone of contention with PrPro. With CS 4, they separated the Adobe Media Encoder into a sub-app., where before one called it ONLY from within PrPro. The new design had a great feature - one could be doing Encoding, WHILE still editing, unlike before. However, there was one aspect overlooked - the ability to do a Frame-capture easily. At least PrE had their "camera" button. While not a fan of "big button solutions," in general, that was a good one. It took two updates to PrPro CS 4, to get the ability to directly do a Frame-captuer back. However, all was still not right in PrPro-land. Once, when one did the Frame-capture, by default, it WAS added to the Project (appearing in the Project Panel), but the user could override that, with a simple checkbox. Half the time, I wanted it in my Project, and half the time, I did not - since if I used it for a Menu, I was working in Adobe Encore (and often with Adobe Photoshop), and did not need it IN PrPro. Well, now there is NO way to get it into the Project directly. Adobe added one new feature - Encoding in the background, while editing, but lost a great, easy function in the process. A perfect example of "untended consequences," in my estimation. "Stuff" happens.

As for "disappearing features," both PrE and PrPro (CS 6), no longer can Save a Title as a Template, to later be used in another Project. Bogus, in my book. Also, PrE 11 has trimmed down the Type-handling features in Titler. Again, I rule BOGUS!

Programming into an interface transferable heuristics increases flow and productivity and reduces the learning curve. Lack of continuity of heuristic models to me is "sphagetti" interface programming. It tends to indicate features were added without evaluation of their integration within the other components of the program.

I often puzzle over the design process, and the final decisions made in both versions of Premiere. I know that Adobe made myriad changes to PrPro, just to accommodate FCP switchers, when FCP went to the X version. That angered me, and many long-time PrPro-users, as referenced in my other reply above. PrE is designed at the consumer, so some implementations must come from beta comments and focus groups. Still, having edited video for decades (really well before the digital age), I puzzle over some of the choices made. If I were in those design meetings, I am sure that everyone would leave the room grumbling about the "dinosaur" in the corner - ME.

Years ago, Kai Krause, one of the early contributors to Photoshop, left and formed his own company, basically creating 3rd party software to be used mainly in Photoshop. His Power Tools, though over a decade old now, is still on one of my machines. He came out with a program named "Convolver." It had many (many is too weak a term here) great effects, BUT his GUI was so "avant garde" that it was practically useless. There were no "buttons," per-se, only hot-spots, that were hidden. Some reviewers championed it as "the wave of the future," but others pointed out that it was totally impossible to repeat anything. It was sort of like viewing through a kaleidoscope, but with heavy medication. Some of the effects WERE used by me, but if the client wanted any change, whatsoever, it was completely impossible. One could never get back to where they were, and make any changes. They had to start over, and try to recall which "secret pixel" they pressed, or hovered over. Fun to entertain oneself, but useless in a commercial application. It was only useful to "play a game."

GUI design, and re-design is so very important to usability, and too often I see that usability dismissed in favor of "golly gee-whiz." Still, I am NOT a first-time consumer, so am NOT in the target demographic.

Hunt