37 Replies Latest reply on Jan 8, 2012 6:11 PM by kralljd

What would you do with this system and very little geekness?

kd58 Level 1

I am a student and I have a $1000 budget to upgrade my Dell Precision T5400. What would you do?

Here is what the computer has now. It's 300gb only one harddrive is red-lining, almost full.

I want to run Premiere Pro CS5 and AfterEffects. Those are the classes I want to take.

Although as soon as CS6 shows, I will upgrade to that.

Windows Vista 64bit

Dell Precision, T5400 Mini-Tower Quad Core Xeon Proc E5420, 2.50GHZ, 2x6MB L2 Cache, 1333MHz

nVidia Quadro FX1700 512mb dual DVI Graphics Card

320GB SATA 3.0Gb/s, 7200RPM HardDrive with 8MB DataBurst Cache, Dell Precision T7400/5400

C1 All SATA Hard Drive Non-Raid for 1 hard drive

Mini-Tower chassis configuration, Dell Precision T3400

I am trying to decide to go buy another computer ($3000 budget for that) or try to upgrade

this one ($1000 budget for that).

What is good here and what needs replacing? I have never built a system.

• 1. Re: What would you do with this system and very little geekness?
          Lonad95

Hi,

You'd be best just getting a new computer as it saves the all the bother plus you can get one that is better than your other one. With a budget of $3000 you could get fairly top spec computer. Try having a look at Samsung's range of computers as they do some fairly awesome computers these days.

• 2. Re: What would you do with this system and very little geekness?
            Harm Millaard Level 7

You can keep the hard disk. The rest is good for charity purposes, although without a hard disk, it is difficult to start it.

You don't need to be a geek to save money. If you have two hands with opposable thumbs, capable of grasping at straws, you are ready to build your own PC. Read some articles in the FAQ section, found under the overview tab at the top of the main page here to get you started.

FYI, I have never found a Dell / HP / IBM / Lenovo / Samsung or other brand name system worth the money, because simply they steal you blind with everyting needed for a proper editing rig. Custom builders like ADK are the exception to this rule.

• 3. Re: What would you do with this system and very little geekness?
              RjL190365 Level 4

Harm,

I agree with you that a big-name-brand PC that's been upgraded to even the minimum required equipment level for video editing is seriously overpriced. For example, while the upgrade from Dell's base graphics card to a GeForce GTX 560 Ti 448-core effectively carries a tolerable $20 cost premium over what that same card sells for at Newegg, many of Dell's other upgrades cost double or even triple their full retail price (after subtracting any components that get deleted or replaced with the upgrade).

• 4. Re: What would you do with this system and very little geekness?
                kd58 Level 1

Okay, I don't have " two hands with opposable thumbs". I understand it goes against the grain to buy off the shelf.

I am looking at a computer with

Dual Quad Core Intel Xeon Processors X5687 3.60Hz

Windows 7 64bit

4GB, 1333Mhz, DDR3 SDRAM, ECC

1st Hard Drive: 300GB SATA drive

2nd Hard Drive: 1TB SATA drive

Nvidia Quadro 5000

Without factoring in anything to do with money and building your own.....would you please tell me what

is good about the above configuration and what is bad.....keep in mind I am a student. That means I don't want to

wait forever for the project to process; however, I don't have a bunch of clients getting mad because it's taking too long.

I do want to learn After Effects and would like this computer to work for that too, as a student and a small shop, minimal clients.

• 5. Re: What would you do with this system and very little geekness?
                  John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>Windows 7 64bit 4GB, 1333Mhz, DDR3 SDRAM, ECC

Does your motherboard use dual or tripple channel memory?

Which Win7 do you have... Home-Pro-???

Go to the CS5 Benchmark http://ppbm5.com/ and search for similar computers

Your best bang for the buck will be to increase Ram to 12Gig or 24Gig or 16Gig (depending on your OS and type of Ram used)

• 6. Re: What would you do with this system and very little geekness?
                    RjL190365 Level 4

Not a good choice for the money, for the following reasons:

1) That systen, as listed, has only 4GB total of RAM. That's much too little to run After Effects properly. After Effects demand a minimum of 24GB of RAM. In fact, with the RAM setup listed that gives you only 512MB per core - way, way too little RAM for a system with two quad-core, octo-thread CPUs (in this case, that averages out to only 256MB of RAM per thread)! Plus, with such a dual-CPU setup and a triple-channel memory controller AE runs much better with 48GB of RAM than with 24GB. Or maybe that the system did not specify the number of 4GB modules included?

2) For Adobe, that Quadro 5000 is more like a slightly underclocked GeForce GTX 465 in terms of performance. However, whereas a GeForce comparable in performance to the GTX 465 costs less than $200, that Quadro 5000 costs a whopping $1,700.

Message was edited by: RjL190365

• 7. Re: What would you do with this system and very little geekness?
                      Harm Millaard Level 7

Dual Quad Core Intel Xeon Processors X5687 3.60Hz

Way overpriced and not worth the money

Windows 7 64bit

Only the Pro version

4GB, 1333Mhz, DDR3 SDRAM, ECC

Only consider 24+ GB

1st Hard Drive: 300GB SATA drive

2nd Hard Drive: 1TB SATA drive

What other drives?

Nvidia Quadro 500

Another waste of money.

I thought you were a student on a budget. Unless I misunderstood you, this is a sure way to burn the budget without appreciable benefits.

• 8. Re: What would you do with this system and very little geekness?
                        RjL190365 Level 4

Way overpriced and not worth the money

That is exactly what I was going to say about the Xeon X5687. It is basically a Gulftown CPU with two of its six cores disabled internally - and with its clock speed boosted to 3.6GHz plus Turbo. Unfortunately, it's a bad buy because it costs more than $2,000 a piece - even more ridiculously overpriced than the Quadro 5000. If one must spend anywhere close to $2,000 on a single CPU alone, the hexa-core Xeon X5690 would have been a better choice than that quad-core Xeon X5687.

As such, with only 4GB total of RAM and only two fast internal hard drives in total, the OP would have spent all of $8,000 on a system that performs slower overall than an i5-2500K build that costs only $1,000. And even if most of the components on that system were worth the money, the system itself is grossly imbalanced: A system with dual Xeons really needs a discrete hardware RAID controller card with eight or more identical hard drives and at least 48GB of RAM in order for it to be anywhere close to worthwhile.

• 9. Re: What would you do with this system and very little geekness?
                          Darren Kelly Level 1

I agree with some of the above comments, but not all.

First, 24GB of RAM is a nice luxury option, but it's not the minimum for AE - come on RJL you know better than to say that. 16 would be more than enough for a student project. I run a business, and it's more than enough for me. 16GB is affordable. It's about $150.00 max.

The Quadro card is over priced, and undervalued. Something like the Nvidia GTX570, 580,590 starting at about $335.00 is Adobe Authorized, and lots of performance.

Now, I'm running a 6 core AMD, but most people will tell you an Intel system is better. According to the benchmark, it seems correct. Get a nice i7 chip. What ever you can afford.

Motherboard. Look to spend in the $220 range. Gigybyte makes a nice one, so does Asus.

Hard drives, one of the better things you need to consider. A 2-4 disk RAID 0 - say 4X1TB, or if that's too much $$ then 4X500GB for less than $400 would be your best investment with a 500GB system drive.

Case count on $100 with enough fans, card reader,

DVD burner $70.00etc.

So, if you looked at it my way. Here is your parts list from Newegg. You will toss another $100 or so in cables and fans, etc.

Motherboard: ASUS P8P67 DELUXE (REV 3.0) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS: $209.00

(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131701)

Processor:Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000 BX80623I72600K: $320.00

(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115070)

RAM:G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000) Desktop Memory Model F3-17000CL11Q-16GBXL:$150.00

(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231473)

NVidia GTX570: EVGA 012-P3-1571-KR GeForce GTX 570 HD w/Display-Port (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card: $340.00

(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130613)

HARD DRIVES (5): HITACHI Deskstar 7K1000.D HDS721010DLE630 (0F13180) 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive. $130 EACH OR $650.00

(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822145533)

CASE: Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case: $100.00

(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129021)

POWER SUPPLY: Antec EarthWatts Series EA-750 Green 750W ATX12V v2.3 SLI Certified CrossFire Certified 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Continuous Power Supply: $100.00

(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371051)

BLURAY BURNER: LG Black 12X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R 12X DVD-RAM 10X BD-ROM 4MB Cache SATA Internal 12X Super Multi Blue with 3D Playback Blu-ray Disc Rewriter WH12LS38 LightScribe Support - OEM: $70.00

(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136239)

TOTAL: $1,939.00

You can upgrade your current operating system to atleast windows 7 - 64 bit home. You could even choose to use the DVD drive out of your existing computer.

Someone in your rea will build a system like this for you for somewhere around $125.00 if you can't do it, but looking on YouTube can give you a step by step.

I trust this helps.

Goodluck

• 10. Re: What would you do with this system and very little geekness?
                            RjL190365 Level 4

Actually, Darren I would have to disagree with the choice of the Antec Nine Hundred case: With even two hard drives installed in the center drive cage, the case cannot fit any graphics cards longer than 9.5 inches long. Unfortunately, all GTX 570 cards are 10.5 inches long, so you will have to eliminate one of the hard drives, reducing the maximum total number of hard drives to four. Trust me, I actually tried this myself. Five hard drives plus a GTX 570 will not fit the Nine Hundred.

Oh, by the way, 24GB or 48GB that I was recommending assumes that the OP would still be going with a system with dual expensive CPUs. After all, balance is important if one must spend that much on two CPUs and one motherboard. But if one goes with a single mainstream or even enthusiast CPU, on the other hand, then 16GB would be the practical (not absolute) minimum for AE.

• 11. Re: What would you do with this system and very little geekness?
                              Darren Kelly Level 1

I may be wrong on the case. So the kid throws in another $25 for a larger case. He still doesn't require the RAM you recommended. That 24GB recomendation would almost double the costs of the motherboard and the RAM - easily add another $1,000 to the mix.

He's a student remember. Limited funds

• 12. Re: What would you do with this system and very little geekness?
                                RjL190365 Level 4

If he's a student on a limited budget, then why would he choose components that cost all of $5,000+ even with the paltry 4GB total of RAM (but not including the GPU) to begin with? (You see, the two quad-core Xeon X5687 CPUs he selected cost about $4,000 by themselves - and that does not include a motherboard, RAM, case, GPU, PSU or drives.) The two X5687s alone would have busted the OP's originally stated $3,000 budget.

• 13. Re: What would you do with this system and very little geekness?
                                  Darren Kelly Level 1

Because he doesn't know any better, which is why he's asking the question in the first place?

You can build an edit system for a thousand or a hundred thousand - which from the looks of the pictures, I think Harm has done

DBK

• 14. Re: What would you do with this system and very little geekness?
                                    RjL190365 Level 4

Actually, Harm's system does not cost anywhere near $100,000 (at least not at the prices that he originally paid for all those components put together). At then-current pricing, Harm's system actually cost closer to $4,000, with most of it going to the disk/storage system (a Velociraptor OS drive, twelve 1TB hard drives connected to an older top-of-the-line Areca RAID card and a few spare 1TB drives); however, that Lian Li case Harm is touting to hold all of those drives actually costs only about $300. That total cost is still about double the cost of a decent recommended editing system.

• 15. Re: What would you do with this system and very little geekness?
                                      kd58 Level 1

RjL

“I would have to disagree with the choice of the Antec Nine Hundred case”.

What case would you recommend?

“24GB or 48GB that I was recommending assumes that the OP would still be going with a system with dual expensive CPUs”

Not If I don't have to.

But if one goes with a single mainstream or even enthusiast CPU, on the other hand, then 16GB would be the practical (not absolute) minimum for AE.

That sounds good.

If he's a student on a limited budget, then why would he choose components that cost all of $5,000+

I started the post with what I have now: Dell Precision T5400…which Harm said “is good for charity purposes”. LOL.

The next set of components is suggested by the automatic “Dell Precision Wokstation Advisior” for video production work environment on Dell’s website. No price is considered in that application.

Darren

Because he doesn't know any better

Got that right! Thank you for the list and the links for components.......now I have to go look for my "opposible thumbs".

• 16. Re: What would you do with this system and very little geekness?
                                        Darren Kelly Level 1

RJL,

I think in a thread recently Harm said something about having 17 hard drives in that case of his. The $100 grand was an exageration, although you can have a system that pricey if you look at a smoke, or flame system with all the goodies.

If I look at my own current system, including the external drives, etc, my system would leave little change from $10K.

My most expensive system ever was my first NLE - A Fast video Machine. The board set was $15K, the computer another $7.5K and the drives - 2 X 2GB was $4K, so all together before VTR's I was looking at $26.5K, with VTR's it was closer to $40K.

Glad those days are over for me.

DBK

• 17. Re: What would you do with this system and very little geekness?
                                          RjL190365 Level 4

What case would you recommend?

Something like a Cooler Master HAF 932 if you want to spend only $150-ish on a case.

I started the post with what I have now: Dell Precision T5400…which Harm said “is good for charity purposes”. LOL.

The next set of components is suggested by the automatic “Dell Precision Wokstation Advisior” for video production work environment on Dell’s website. No price is considered in that application.

First off, the reason why your current system is "good for charity purposes" is that it is very outdated, and uses a CPU of the same generation as an early 2008 Core 2 Quad like the Q9450. Think of a single Xeon E5420 as a Core 2 Quad Q9350 (which Intel has never offered). Plus, in my testing with the PPBM5 benchmark running either CS5 or CS5.5, I found that a system based on the Core 2 Quad Q9450 (at stock speed) to be slower than even an i3-2100 dual-core CPU-based system with the same GPU.

As for the "Dell Precision Workstation Advisor", they just went out to recommend the absolute most expensive components they offer! (Plus, Dell effectively charges you nearly double what those same upgrade components sell for at reputable online resellers.) Screw "bang for the buck"! That means that Dell steals you blind on component upgrades. In fact, Dell charges very close to (if not more than) $10,000 for the type of system they suggested (if you were to build that suggested system yourself, the components that they suggested would have cost you more than double your stated budget limit of $3,000). You can do way better than Dell, especially for the price that they charge. I'd recommend looking at ADK for your video editing system needs if you lack the finesse (i.e. consistently plugging in connectors into the wrong sockets and never getting it right) or good-enough eyesight (i.e. you can only read large type; small type is completely unreadable to you) to build it yourself. They (ADK) will configure a system that might very well cost you a few hundred to a couple of thosand dollars less than a Dell of comparable performance and features.

• 18. Re: What would you do with this system and very little geekness?
                                            Darren Kelly Level 1

As I said, spend $25 more for a larger case : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146067

$125.00.

I am using a midtower, and yes it is tight between the GTX470 and the hard drive in that bay. I put the drive in first, then I put the video card in. Works fine.

DBK

• 19. Re: What would you do with this system and very little geekness?
                                              RjL190365 Level 4

Darren,

That's because a reference GTX 470 measures only 9.5 inches long (from the inside of the backplate to the end of the card). The reference GTX 570 uses a different (and longer) PCB.

• 20. Re: What would you do with this system and very little geekness?
                                                RjL190365 Level 4
                                                “24GB or 48GB that I was recommending assumes that the OP would still be going with a system with dual expensive CPUs”

Not If I don't have to.

But if one goes with a single mainstream or even enthusiast CPU, on the other hand, then 16GB would be the practical (not absolute) minimum for AE.

That sounds good.

If he's a student on a limited budget, then why would he choose components that cost all of $5,000+

I just ran through the advisor again, and discovered that (after attempting to custom-configure such a system on the Dell site) Dell does not currently offer a configuration of that type with a hard drive less than 1TB for the OS (the only other choice is an SSD) or with less than 12GB total of RAM. A Dell Precision T5500 equipped with the dual Xeon X5687 CPUs, a Quadro 5000, 24GB of RAM and two 1TB hard drives costs all of $9,999. That's still significantly more expensive than a self-built system using the exact same internal components. That Dell build would still cost more than $9,000 even with the bare minimum of 12GB of RAM.

• 21. Re: What would you do with this system and very little geekness?
                                                  Darren Kelly Level 1

I meant to say the GTX 570, but made a typo.

DBK

• 22. Re: What would you do with this system and very little geekness?
                                                    kralljd

Student

Limited budget

Current system is 2 gens behind - but still supports dual cpus and 32gb of memory, and sports a 875 watt PSU etc....

Been doing the computer thing since 82 - and no matter what you do you will be doing it again and again and again given time.........

So it boils down to what you want and can afford and are willing to put up with.

I build and I upgrade - older/used Dell precisions are cheap to buy - x80/x90/x400 series - and people are still buying and selling them even though the x80 came out in like 05/06.

Eventually and if you can afford it you will find yourself buying or building a bleading edge box that will cost you significantly - only to find in 1 or 2 or 3 years that you will have to do it again.

Since I refuse to play that game anymore - I usually am using a 2 gen behind used system that I refurb.

If you don't want to blow the money and are willing to deal with the performance hit.... max out your memory (ebay) and if you only have one cpu - get a matching one off ebay (with the required extra parts) - upgrade your video card to a gtx 560 (460 if price is an option)... get a student price/discount for Windows 7 Pro or Ultimate via your school or a MS education reseller - if you want to play as well sign up for dreamspark (http://www.dreamspark.com) - it's free.  Change out your OS drive to a 10k - 160gb ones are not that expensive (ebay) - then add a 7200 1tb or whatever you can afford.  Geen/variable speed drives can be ok - but may not really be the best for what you want to do.

That should be under 1000 dollars easy.....

Or you could upgrade to a bigger version of the same gen - the 7400 - again ebay.

Or you can find a local to build you a custom box - or go to tigerdirect.com and play around.

Opinions on this topic can vary widely - eventually the cost of off the self will drive you to explore building your own........ but you do not have to go there now unless you want/need....

• 23. Re: What would you do with this system and very little geekness?
                                                      RjL190365 Level 4

Actually, I would not even recommend a system that's more than one generation old when it comes to running even the latest version of Windows 7. That's because some of those systems are so old that their manufacturers have ceased all further support for them. And that's not to mention that some of the components used in those systems are now no longer further supported by their manufacturers. As such, you will find that there are no Windows 7 or Windows 7-compatible drivers available at all whatsoever for some of the critical components of those older systems. As a result of the lack of available drivers, you're left with a severely crippled system when trying to run Windows 7. And Windows Vista support is slated to be discontinued this coming April (except for Windows Vista Business Edition), so you're left with no choice but to get a newer system.

• 24. Re: What would you do with this system and very little geekness?
                                                        kralljd Level 1

Really?  Funny that windows 7 loads with no problems on precision x90 and x400 series.... some minor issues on x80 series...... been a MS engineer since the late 90's as well as other title bs stuff and quite frankly windows 7 has loaded for me on everything xp worked on... with either no issues or next to no issues.  As for support - really?  I still get support from HP/Dell/Gateway etc... on older systems.....

Actually - bleading edge stuff doesn't always have windows certified drivers - newest version of windows etc...  and my experience is that I have had more issues in that regard than 2 gen older systems and components....

So you are wrong on choices sir.  If you were right - the used computer market would not be as busy as it is.......

• 25. Re: What would you do with this system and very little geekness?
                                                          RjL190365 Level 4

That has actually been my experience (that very same scenario where there are no drivers at all whatsoever). In fact, that has occurred to me with two Pentium 4 systems: On one of them, Windows 7 would not even install or run at all (with constant and repeated error messages and BSODs) — while on the other, I could not even locate a Windows 7-compatible driver for some of the critical motherboard components. Without a fully functional motherboard due to the total lack of available drivers (as evidenced by the high number of exclamation triangles in Windows 7's Device Manager), that system ran excruciatingly slow at everything: It ran hundreds of times slower than even a bottom-of-the-line system from 2008, let alone today’s entry-level PC.

And those 2006 systems were manufactured before 64-bit computing became popular. As such, much of this hardware was only 32-bit capable, and therefore cannot run Premiere Pro CS5 or higher at all. CS5 and CS5.5 require both a 64-bit OS and a 64-bit capable CPU to even run at all. And your old hardware will likely run CS5.x dozens or even hundreds of times slower than even a moderately fast PC (as shown on the current PPBM5 results list). As a matter of fact, your old systems might run much slower than even the absolute slowest system on that PPBM5 results list.

And in my own personal experience, hardware manufacturers know when to completely cease writing new and/or newer-OS-compatible drivers for older hardware. This is exactly why there are no Windows 7 drivers whatsoever (at least from the GPU makers) for any GeForce GPU older than the 6xxx-series or any Radeon GPU older than the HD 2000 series. The only Windows 7-compatible drivers in existence for such old GPUs are those that are included with the OS itself - and the OS-provided drivers only enable basic graphics capability and do not support much if any of the more advanced capabilities of such GPUs. That's why I call such support "crippled".

And in my area, the used computer market is almost completely dead largely because the market is filled with old, completely obsolete PCs that nobody wants even for free. And of that pile, most of this hardware goes either to very poor third-world countries or the component recyclers.

• 26. Re: What would you do with this system and very little geekness?
                                                            kralljd Level 1

I've loaded 7 on laptops with pentium m's - and plenty of systems with 4's - as for nvidia - haven't had any issues there either - again it goes back to what someone wants to deal with.  You pointed out issues with 7 - I told you that it wasn't entirely true and that's a fact - now if you want something that does more than surf and email..... I was just pointing out that what the question asker has could do ok if he was on a budget.....

As for used computers.......... I see Latitude D series still selling all over ebay - that would be D x00, x10, x20, x30 as well as the E series - The base D x00 series has a pentium m chip.....  These sell to college students real well - sure all they really use it for is wp and low end stuff - but it suits their needs and budget...... just one example.... oh and they run Win7.  Yes 32 bit systems are going to be history soon - maybe not soon enough.  But as I said - I was answering a question and having messed with computers since the early 80's I don't feel stupid discussing the subject....

Some people do not need, nor can they afford a new car........ so they figure out their needs and buy accordingly.  Which is what I really think the original question was all about.

• 27. Re: What would you do with this system and very little geekness?
                                                              RjL190365 Level 4

Fair enough. My recommendations are for a system that can comfortably run Premiere Pro CS5.5 (without breaking the bank), while your recommendations are for a system that's barely sufficient for just surf and e-mail. We are, indeed, coming from two completely different areas.

And now that I think of it, surf and e-mail can be handled sufficiently by a smartphone or a tablet alone these days. That old, obsolete PC will just consume far too much electricity for a system that can just about handle those two tasks and not much more.

And note that this forum is for those who want a system that can run Premiere Pro comfortably without wasting money. If you are suggesting a system that can barely handle surf and e-mail and cannot run any video editing program properly (if at all), then this is the wrong forum to do so.

• 28. Re: What would you do with this system and very little geekness?
                                                                kralljd Level 1

So you are saying that a scalable piece of software can't run on 2 quad xeons with 32gb of memory, bigger drives, and an upgraded graphics card?  Let's relook those benchmarks...... And my point to the question asker had nothing to do with surfing the web etc.... barely or otherwise - my point to you was that need and budget are factors in choice.  Surely it doesn't take 8 cores and 32gb of memory to surf and email........ I was using an example to counter your argument about window 7 and drivers.

The question asker has a 64bit capable system - in fact I believe it's a couple gens into 64 bit - hold on - yep my Precision 390 is 64 bit - just had to check..... oh hold on - so is my Precision t3400 and t3500 - hmmmm - ok so is my t5400 and t5500... don't have a t7400 or t7500.  But I do have several other newer systems that I am positive are 64 bit too.

The software you are discussing won't settle for anything from what I know - it eats processor cores and ***** memory - but that doesn't mean it won't run on the persons system.

Need and budget........ XP came out in 2001/2 - and it was available in 64bit........ it sucked..... but hey it was 64bit - the pro version came out in 64bit in 2005......

From the above you will deduce that I am telling the question asker to run XP pro 64 bit?  or that 64 bit is into 10 years or so?  or mainstreaming since 2005? or ?

I know a whole graphics shop - 64 people that are running this product on t5400/t5500 and t7500 machines - would they like newer and faster stuff - sure they would - just like I want a Lamborghini - unfortunately I can only afford a Dodge Ram.... Need and budget

----

Really you felt a need to edit and add that?  You really don't understand need and budget or anything that I said?  Sad sad sad

• 29. Re: What would you do with this system and very little geekness?
                                                                  RjL190365 Level 4

I'm not trying to say that CS5.5 cannot run on a system with two quad-core Xeons. What I'm trying to say is that two quad-core Xeons of that era are very slow by current standards. Have you ever tried to drive at only 40 km/h (and your car is drag- or governour-limited to that low speed) on a highway that's designed to be driven at 100 km/h, and that the minimum (read: slowest) required speed that anyone can legally drive on that stretch of highway is 60 km/h? That's exactly what the dual-quad-Xeon system of 2007 really is analogous to in today's computing world. In fact, some budget systems of today can (and do) outperform that old dual-Xeon quad-core system (most of which, by the way, perform no faster overall than a humble Sandy Bridge i3 CPU-based system with the same GPU and drive components as those old Xeon systems - nearly 5 times slower than a fast i7 system at best). And nearly all of the dual-Xeon systems that perform at least reasonably well in the PPBM5 benchmark tests are all of the Nehalem (i7-9xx) generation or newer.

• 30. Re: What would you do with this system and very little geekness?
                                                                    kralljd Level 1

Having spent 20 years in the Army - maybe by now you also see that I am not a very young person either - yes I have driven on roads like that.  I also remember using aldus products on macintoshes.... for fun.

The person asking the question - typed "keep in mind I am a student. That means I don't want to wait forever for the project to process; however, I don't have a bunch of clients getting mad because it's taking too long."  I read that to say that speed could be a variable in the decision making process..... HENCE my answers in my first post.  Please stop the elitist bs - I know current stuff as well......

http://forums.adobe.com/message/3916992

http://forum.ourdarkskies.com/index.php/topic/26845-decent-workstation-for-a-good-price/

http://forums.adobe.com/message/3605467

We could go on and on and on - If the QUESTION asker wants to go spend the money on something new - so be it - he is a college student...... perhaps that person would rather save money to buy something bigger and better while spending a little now just to be able to do what is needed.  After all Win8 and CS6 are around the corner..... and so are 1000 core cpu's...... back to my original post.  Having been at this since almost the beginning of PC's, it's hard not to note the progress in 30 something years.... my first hard drive was huge in physical size and weighed as much as a boat anchor... and cost a months pay.  But that came after casette and floppy drives...... my first pc wasn't as powerful as a 99 cent calculator is today.... and cost 2 months pay.

My advice still stands - and it is in the right forum.....

• 31. Re: What would you do with this system and very little geekness?
                                                                      RjL190365 Level 4

I'm through with this particular subject, especially since almost everybody in these particular forums are extremely elitist (by your standards). Ask the other regular users in the Adobe Premiere Pro hardware forum, and they will give you almost the exact same answer I did. In this particular case, you are the exact opposite of everyone else (as far as the Premiere Pro Hardware Forum is concerned).

Oh, by the way, I can now see where you're coming from: Not everyone does video work in high definition. In fact, there are still some people who still do video work in 480i or 576i standard definition. And many of those people doing video work in HD do not make Blu-ray or even AVCHD DVD hard copies at all - but instead make videos exclusively for posting on web sites such as YouTube. For those people, then your point of view (and thus "recommendations") are valid.

• 32. Re: What would you do with this system and very little geekness?
                                                                        Darren Kelly Level 1

Actually RJL, the original poster got what he needed on December 14, 2011. The rest of this has been a few of us arguing over specific likes and dislikes.

I say the thread is over. We've answered the question already.

DBK

• 33. Re: What would you do with this system and very little geekness?
                                                                          RjL190365 Level 4

Thank you, Darren. I have a tendency to overreact when someone tries to add something after the OP had already gotten the answer he was looking for.

• 34. Re: What would you do with this system and very little geekness?
                                                                            kralljd Level 1

The OP never marked the question answered

RjL190365 - you have some serious issues

• 35. Re: What would you do with this system and very little geekness?
                                                                              RjL190365 Level 4

kralljd,

Let's just leave it as this. Everybody has their extremely severe issues. Consider this entire subject closed. If you want to bring up your recommendations, you should start a completely new thread.

• 36. Re: What would you do with this system and very little geekness?
                                                                                Darren Kelly Level 1

So you join 4 days ago and think you can comment on who has problems?

Go back to the rock you came out from Khalid.

This made me laugh so hard I have to pee!!!!!

LMFAO X 10

• 37. Re: What would you do with this system and very little geekness?
                                                                                  kralljd Level 1

Joined this time - been using Adobe products since Adobe started.  I am a retired Enterprise Architect.  I really do not care if you pissed yourself laughing or not - Someone asked a question - I gave them my answer - only to be met with rudeness and disrespect because my answer to the OP was different.  People with closed minds live under rocks.  That is not where I live nor where I come from.  Both of you seem to want to play troll.  Have fun with that.