8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 12, 2011 9:53 AM by carface100

Combining template projects

carface100

I have never used After Effects before but I have recently just downloaded two templates. I need to combine both of these templates in one project but when I open one of them and try and import a second it just imports the project folders and none of the timeline. Does anyone know how I can do this as its starting to frustrate me?

• 1. Re: Combining template projects
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Just open one template, then import the other one. As Dave said, the projects are in the folders.

• 2. Re: Combining template projects
            Dave LaRonde Level 6

carface100 wrote:

I have never used After Effects before... when I open one of them and try and import a second it just imports the project folders and none of the timeline.

Have you looked inside the folder that's created when you import the second project?

• 3. Re: Combining template projects
              carface100 Level 1

Yeh and it has all the assets for the project but nothing is put on the timeline. Any motions or animations the template has dont appear on the timeline. Nothing appears on the timeline when I import the project. Should the timeline have layers added when a project is imported?

• 4. Re: Combining template projects
                Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If your templates contained compositions they end up in the Project window. I've never seen templates without comps, but it's possible to have templates with footage only.

Try opening the template that shows up without comps, then import the other one.

• 5. Re: Combining template projects
                  Dave LaRonde Level 6

carface100 wrote:

...Should the timeline have layers added when a project is imported?

No.  There should be a complete project inside that folder when you import the project, comps included.  If you want the layers in the imported project's final comp, you can copy & paste the layers or nest one comp in another.

• 6. Re: Combining template projects
                    carface100 Level 1

Ok so I have one project open. When I import the new project the folder for that project appears on the left. When I look inside there is a Compositions folder. Inside this folder there are a few files but one named Main Composition. I double click that and it creates a new tab called Main Composition. In that I can see the layers for that Main Composition on the timeline and I can edit things like I did with my first project. I now need to copy and paste those layers after the ones I originally had  for my initial project. Ive tried doing this but it overwrites my original layers.

1. Am I going about this in the right way?

2. How can I copy and paste these layers after my original layers in the timeline?

• 7. Re: Combining template projects
                      Dave LaRonde Level 6

Your query is grounded in AE 101.  Actually, it's more like the first class in an AE 101 course.  Copy 'n paste is copy 'n paste.  There really isn't a way to overwrite layers.  So we have no clue what you actually did, nor do you.

Since you're brand-new to AE, here's a more fundamental question: how soon does this have to be done? 

The problem is this:  although AE is a marvelous compositing and effects application, it DEMANDS a thorough grounding in the basics, even if you work with templates.  Overlooking that simple fact opens you up to myriad opportunities for lost time and frustration.  No kidding.  I'm not impugning your abilities, I simply state the hard-won truth experienced by myself and thousands of others.

There are all sorts of ways to get that basic knowledge.  Here's a good place to get the start you so desperately need.

• 8. Re: Combining template projects
                        carface100 Level 1

It is frustrating as I have used alot of Adobes other software like Flash, Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign and it does seem hard just to do simple things with AE. Its not a rush to get these things done but I just want to add two projects together. Ill have to take a look at those links. Thanks