5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 12, 2011 2:25 PM by RD. Mitchell

Is it possible to print a document exactly as it appears on the screen?

RD. Mitchell Level 1

Like the topic question asks, is it possible to print a document exactly as it appears on the screen? I'm fairly new to indesign and I designed my company's manual recently, taking us away from doing so in Word. I fear I may have made a very amateurish mistake and am dreading having to go back and reposition everything. Some of the problem can be alleviated if I can find a way to print the document exactly as it appears on my monitor or when I export the file to PDF.

What's happening is the page numbering and other items I set up outside of the bleed area (I think that's what it's called...the red box that appears in each document) are refusing to print properly. I want the entire right hand corner of the page to be taken up. Currently, only part of the image is printing. If I choose "scale to fit", then the entire image prints, but it doesn't take up the entire right hand corner. Instead, the graphich repositions itself about an inch away from the edge and bottom of the document.

Failing that, is there a blanket way to scale all items in indesign?

• 1. Re: Is it possible to print a document exactly as it appears on the screen?
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

The whole point of ID is that it DOES print exactly as you see it on the screen (but only waht fits inside the print area of the paper you have loaded in the printer). I suspect you may have put the page number into the non-printing border area that most printers have.

• 2. Re: Is it possible to print a document exactly as it appears on the screen?
            RD. Mitchell Level 1

I suspect that you are correct. Thank you for the response.

In regards to the other question I asked though, is it possible to scale all the items on a page by a set amount? Say for instance I have the font too large on all of the pages in the document and the images are also a little oversized, is ther some way I can scale all of the images down a certain percentage without having to go into each item individually?

I know I can kinda do it with my font choices already by changing the default font size for paragraph and character styles, but it won't affect the images if I do it that way.

Also, once I fix the problem of having the items appear properly in printing border, is there a way to export the PDF so it doesn't include those gaps?

• 3. Re: Is it possible to print a document exactly as it appears on the screen?
              Joel Cherney Adobe Community Professional & MVP
              In regards to the other question I asked though, is it possible to scale all the items on a page by a set amount? Say for instance I have the font too large on all of the pages in the document and the images are also a little oversized, is ther some way I can scale all of the images down a certain percentage without having to go into each item individually?

Well, kinda. If you select everything on your page at once (or if they're already grouped)  then you can hold down Control, Shift, and Alt while grabbing a corner to resize and it'll maintain all of the ratios, including scaling the font size. You'd only be able to scale one page or spread at a time, but you could do it that way. Alternately, you can place your InDesign document into another InDesign document, where the source InDesign doc will be displayed as an image in the target doc. So, you could scale each page just like an image.

However, I'm reluctant to advise that you do that - mostly because I don't understand what you're doing. In my understanding, everything outside of the crop marks is literally going to wiind up on the cutting room floor, so the fact that you have content like page numbers in your bleed makes no sense to me. Is it intended for the press operator who's going to be doing the cutting? We can answer your questions, but honestly I think you should describe what you're trying to achieve in the end with a bit more detail, otherwise the forums regulars will answer your questions at face value and maybe help you, or maybe just help you dig a deeper hole for yourself without realizing it.

• 4. Re: Is it possible to print a document exactly as it appears on the screen?
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

You can place your pages into a new document and scale them. This script will allow you to automate it: InDesignSecrets » Blog Archive » Zanelli Releases MultiPageImporter for Importing both PDF and INDD Files

For directions on installing a script, see How to install scripts in InDesign | InDesignSecrets

I don't understand the last part of the question, though. Your PDF is going to export to the page border in the layout (or to the bleed if you incude that), but it won't solve the problem of a white border on a print -- that's a printer problem, and the way you cure that is to use a printer that prints full bleed or print on a larger sheet and trim.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Is it possible to print a document exactly as it appears on the screen?
                  RD. Mitchell Level 1

Both of you gave me extremely helpful answers. The document will be viewed as both a PDF and as a Printed document. It would probably be easier to explain what I meant if I had taken screenshots, but I wasn't sure what the rules were for doing that. In either case, my questions have been answered beyond my expectations. Thank you for the help.