7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 12, 2011 8:47 PM by shooternz

workflow: how to clean up interview audio before making subclips?

Brett Delmage Level 1

In the past, I've just subdivided an interview that was placed in the sequence (usually at the end, out of the way), and placed the parts as required.

I'm trying to do things 'properly' this time, by making subclips for my different interview responses that I will use, and then place the subclips as desired into the sequence. I need to normalize all the audio a touch and perhaps apply the noise filter in Audition.

Is it possible to polish the audio in my master clip first, before making subclips? Otherwise, it seems to me that I have to repeat any effects on every subclip I make?

Also, suppose I wanted to apply some color correction to the master clip before making subclips? How would I do that on a  master clip ?

If anyone wants to point me at a resource that shows how to do this, please do so. I looked around including books in Safari books online and did not see directions for this. I'm not asking because I'm too lazy to RTFM :-) Thanks for your guidance.

Brett

• 1. Re: workflow: how to clean up interview audio before making subclips?
          shooternz Level 6

It would be more "normal" and time efficient to fix audio and CC after one has edited and locked off on it.

Why waste effort on stuff that will never make the cut?

You need to do an audio mix at the end anyway and you need to CC your shots in context.

Messing with the subclips will be like working blind and you will need to revisit them at the end.

• 2. Re: workflow: how to clean up interview audio before making subclips?
            Brett Delmage Level 1

Thanks for your reply. I respectfully  have to disagree to some extent, perhaps based on ignorance ;-).

I don't see why *global* changes to the audio (e.g. increase level by 3 dB, reduce noise, apply male voice enhancer) should not be done once over the whole interview session, given that some audio characteristics will not change partway through. I don't expect my interview subject to change gender during the interview :-)  I would agree with you that if the subject's voice has high dynamics, that some per-clip volume correction might be in order.

Maybe I've missed something, but if I split my interview into seprate replies, don't I need to then apply each global effect to each subclip? And maybe I missed something, but that generally seems to be  a boring pain in PP. Or is there an easy way to apply audio effects globally over multiple clips on a specific audio track?

In this specific edit, I'm interpsersing interview with performance clips. The lighting is completely different for both, so I'm not sure what contextual CC change I would make per clip?

Anyway, after reading some other theads, and based on what other people think, I am going to avoid subclips for now. I will do it the way I have always done, cutting my clips out of my whole interview and placing them in the main sequence.  My projects generally are not so big that I must have better subclip logging to track everything -- although I do agree with being as organized as you can be.

Brett

• 3. Re: workflow: how to clean up interview audio before making subclips?
              shooternz Level 6

Thanks for your reply. I respectfully  have to disagree to some extent, perhaps based on ignorance ;-).

Thats o.k.

The rule is there are no rules except your own rules.

My rules are keep it simple, keep it efficient and dont waste time on doing un neccesary stuff.

Anyway, after reading some other theads, and based on what other people think, I am going to avoid subclips for now. I will do it the way I have always done, cutting my clips out of my whole interview and placing them in the main sequence.

Seem you worked it out for your self with out me telling you ...so I am not sure exactly what you "respectfully disagreed with".

• 4. Re: workflow: how to clean up interview audio before making subclips?
                Brett Delmage Level 1

shooternz wrote:

My rules are keep it simple, keep it efficient and dont waste time on doing un neccesary stuff.

We are in agreement over this point!

I just don't want to have to apply audio effects like fixed gain over multiple clips. I just want to do it once. With video you can nest a sequence and apply a global effect like color correction to all the contained clips. I just wanted the same 'lazy' approach to audio effects.

Seem you worked it out for your self with out me telling you ...so I am not sure exactly what you "respectfully disagreed with".

That it would be more wasted effort to apply global changes on one continuous audio recording then split it into subclips, than to split it into clips and apply the same effect (eg. global level change) on all the subclips, even if I don't use all the audio from the original uncut recording. The former requires something be done only once; the latter, N times. The former approach that I sought seemed most simple and effeicient.

I think I'll finish this project now... then I'll know :-)  Cheers!

• 5. Re: workflow: how to clean up interview audio before making subclips?
                  TomPerrone Level 1

My workflow is different

I make global adjustments to the master clip - most Audio I do in audition but for simple stuff I stay in premiere pro. I also apply global colour corrections on the master clip.

THEN I take the blade to it and make my subclips and i can apply individual effects to the subclip and maintain the overall baseline I set in the master clip.  way more efficient.

along the same lines, Once I have the final edit and i want to apply global changes, you can put your final sequence into a new sequence and apply effects to the overall production (basically a nested clip)

Tom

• 6. Re: workflow: how to clean up interview audio before making subclips?
                    Jim_Simon Level 8

With video you can nest a sequence and apply a global effect like...

It works fine for audio, too.

• 7. Re: workflow: how to clean up interview audio before making subclips?
                      shooternz Level 6

Well my workflow is entirely different to what you  guys do... whether I do it in house or in another facility ...but its the same workflow either way.

I edit everything, audio and video  "raw". ie uncorrected, un fixed, un messed with, un screwed with...until...

The video (raw source) goes to the colorist who deals with it on a clip by clip basis in context with the running order of the video program.

The audio goes to the audio engineer (raw source)  who deals with it track by track ( part by part) in context with the running order of the audio program and with the video to reference.

I never mess with the stuff (globally or clip by clip) until it  it is locked off as an edit. 

Why multiple process stuff and why lose the start reference point. ie the source at base.