15 Replies Latest reply: Dec 13, 2011 11:50 AM by Peter Spier RSS

can't print booklet to PDF?

ralegates

I am using InDesign CS5 (7.0.3) on Mac OSX 10.6.8.

I've created a short 12-page document, 5.5"x8.5", and I want to print it 2-up so it will fit on letter-size paper that I can fold and staple. Simple, right?

I can't figure out how to print it as a PDF.

I go to "print booklet" and the options are either to print to my printer, or to print to "PostScript File," which I select and I end up with a .ps file.

Then I open Acrobat Distiller and drag the file to the window, where it is turned into a PDF file.

BUT...the resulting PDF file has all the text printed portrait instead of landscape, and most of it is cut off. Not what I wanted.

I've been through every dialogue box I can find, and I don't see any settings to change the orientation of the page for the .ps or .pdf file. The print preview looks perfect.

How do I fix this? Thank you!

• 2. Re: can't print booklet to PDF?
          ralegates

I've read a bunch of posts and articles about this, and I use the Adobe PDF presets all the time, but the "print to booklet" command seems to be different? I don't know any other way of creating a "booklet" in InDesign.

Some articles I've read give me instructions on where to put my PPD file, but not on how to obtain a PPD file (I've searched my computer and the web with no luck). Either I'm clueless (definitely a possibility) or the instructions are lacking.

This article has instructions for CS4, and for CS5 it just tells me where to put my PPD file.

http://indesignsecrets.com/creating-postscript-files-in-snow-leopard-for-older-print-workf lows.php

I've searched my computer for "ADPDF9.PPD" and nothing comes up. A similar search turns up nothing on Adobe's website.

Can somebody spell out for me how to find a PPD file and install it so I can print my booklet to PDF? Thanks!

• 3. Re: can't print booklet to PDF?
            Joel Cherney MVP
            Some articles I've read give me instructions on where to put my PPD file, but not on how to obtain a PPD file (I've searched my computer and the web with no luck). Either I'm clueless (definitely a possibility) or the instructions are lacking.

The article to which you linked told you pretty clearly where you could find that PPD, assuming that you have installed Acrobat 9 at some point in the past.

If you do not have Acrobat 9 installed, then why don't you search Google for "ADPDF9.PPD"? It's the second link. And, because you ask us to spell it out: you'll want to right-click on the link and choose Save Link As, and make sure you save it with that name - ADPDF9.PPD.

However, given the length of the document (it's really short), then I have another suggestion for you - do it manually. No, seriously! I'm assuming that your source document is already at the "letter-half" page size. What you can do is:

1) Fold up some paper so that you have a 12-page booklet. Write page numbers so you know which panel goes where, when you...

2) Unfold that paper. See, now you can see exactly what is going on under the hood!

3) Make a new, empty portrait-orientation letter-size InDesign document.

4) Using your handy key that you made in steps 1 and 2, place your letter-half content-having InDesign file into your empty InDesign file. (Yes, you can place ID file 1 into ID file 2 and it will behave like an image.)

This feels like a lot of work, but it's work that will not simply vanish the next time that somebody at Adobe or Apple decides to change the way that PDFs or printers work. Also, you'll get a better understanding of what goes on during imposition, and you'll have easily editable files. Make changes to the source file, update the links in your target booklet INDD, and you're ready to go!

• 4. Re: can't print booklet to PDF?
              ralegates

Ok, I *did* Google it, but I didn't recognize the second link as anything except undeciferable code. But I followed your directions (and the article's) and put the file in a new folder called "PPDs" under presets, but nothing seems to have changed. I still don't have the option to print the booklet to PDF and I don't see Adobe 9.0 PPD in any of my menus.

My computer seems to think the file was an .html file when I downloaded it, but I made sure to rename it. That might be a red herring?

And yes, I could do it manually, but I would really like to fix this problem and have this capability going forward.

I appreciate your help!

• 5. Re: can't print booklet to PDF?
                Peter Spier ACP/MVPs

For Print Booklet this is now a two-step process. FIRST print to postscript file using the ADPDF9.PPD printer description, then open distiller and distill the file. you must have a full version of Acrobat installed to have distiller avaialable.

• 6. Re: can't print booklet to PDF?
                  ralegates

I have been printing to postscript, but I can't get the ADPDF9.PPD file to show up as an option (even after following all the instructions above, and in the articles in the links). Yes, I have Adobe Distiller, but when it distills the .ps file, the orientation is off and all my text is cut off. (See original post). Still frustrated.

• 7. Re: can't print booklet to PDF?
                    Peter Spier ACP/MVPs

I'm on PC, so I don't see your dialogs, but if the ppd is properly loccated, it should be in the dropdown in the print dialog when making the postscript. Is it not there? Where did you put the ppd file?

• 8. Re: can't print booklet to PDF?
                      ralegates

These are the instructions I'm following for placing the PPD file:

With CS5, things are a little trickier. InDesign’s menu does not show anything from the Mac OS PPD folder unless it’s a PPD in a current print queue.

One possible solution for InDesign [CS5] is to add the PPD file directly to the app’s support files. Go to Applications > Adobe InDesign CS5 > Presets. Create a new folder named “PPDs” (case sensitive). Then place your PPD file in this folder. You don’t even have to rename it.

No, it does not show up in my dropdown menu. I did restart InDesign. Do I need to reboot my computer? Would that make a difference?

• 9. Re: can't print booklet to PDF?
                        Peter Spier ACP/MVPs

Two possibilities here. It may not be clear from the instructions that the name of your new folder should not include the quotation marks. Rebooting may also be necessary, certainly can't hurt.

• 10. Re: can't print booklet to PDF?
                          ralegates

There are no quotation marks, and rebooting didn't help.

Although the file is correctly named ("ADPDF9.PPD" no quotation marks), my computer doesn't recognize what kind of file it is, and doesn't know what application to open it with. Does that matter? Is there something else I should do to the file to make InDesign recognize it? That's all I can think of at this point.

• 11. Re: can't print booklet to PDF?
                            Peter Spier ACP/MVPs

ppd files are just text. If you open Text Edit, can you open the ppd file and read it? the first line or two should look something like

*PPD-Adobe: "4.3"

*% Adobe Systems PostScript(R) Printer Description File

*% Copyright 1987-2004 Adobe Systems Incorporated.

*% All Rights Reserved.

I am NOT the best person here to troubleshoot this -- I don't own a Mac of my own.

• 12. Re: can't print booklet to PDF?
                              ralegates

Thanks for your help! I opened the file in TextEdit, and sure enough, it hadn't downloaded properly. (Apparently doing a right click on the link didn't download the file, maybe a Chrome thing?). Anyway, now I cut and pasted all the code into the PPD file, so presumably it is correct. Rebooted InDesign, and still no luck.

Maybe there is a Mac person out there who knows what is going on?

• 13. Re: can't print booklet to PDF?
                                Peter Spier ACP/MVPs

I've sent you a private message with a download link to the file on YouSendit...

• 14. Re: can't print booklet to PDF?
                                  ralegates

Thank you! It worked! The difference, as far as I can tell, is that the file you sent me is called "ADPDF9.PPD.PPD" instead of "ADPDF9.PPD" I'm not sure why having two extensions would matter. But at this point I'm not going to question it

• 15. Re: can't print booklet to PDF?
                                    Peter Spier ACP/MVPs

That's strange, it only had one extension when it left here...