4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 13, 2011 8:29 AM by John Hawkinson

ID CS5 keeps crashing

More2Do Level 1

After InDesign CS5 (OS 10.6.8) is left idling for 10-15 minutes, the program crashes and I have to force quit. I've emptied the preferences and cache folders in my Library folder several times and I'm using a current version of font management software. As weeks go by the problem gets progressively worse. Appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks

• 1. Re: ID CS5 keeps crashing
          John Hawkinson Level 5

Please note that when it hangs and you force quit, this is not a "crash." It is a "hang." A crash is when the program or operating system detects a fault and halts the program. In a hang, no fault is detected, except perhaps by you.

Using the current version of your Mystery Font Management software may not be sufficient. The current version of Suitcase still causes some problems like this.

But to find out for sure, do these two things in Activity Monitor:

1. Wait for InDesign to hang and then select it and choose Sample Process. Save the output. Upload the file to http://pastebin.com/ and post a link here.

2. Next, choose View > Send Signal: Abort (SIGABRT). You will get a crash report. Also upload to pastebin and post a link here.

We will interpret them for you.

• 2. Re: ID CS5 keeps crashing
            Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

When specifically does it crash? Is it the one document or all documents? What are you doing at the time of the crash?

Think of it like being at the doctors, tell us all the symptoms, the times they occur, etc.

• 3. Re: ID CS5 keeps crashing
              Rigmolong

I am having CS5 crash issues as well. Every time I try to insert a column in a table my program crashes. This is happening for colleagues as well. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

• 4. Re: ID CS5 keeps crashing
                John Hawkinson Level 5

Rigmolong:

I am having CS5 crash issues as well. Every time I try to insert a column in a table my program crashes. This is happening for colleagues as well. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Please start a new thread.

Crashing problems are almost never the same, and it's important to get your details correct.

Please include the information I asked for, the information Eugene asked for, and your precise version of CS5 (7.0.whatever) and operating system information.

Thanks! We'd love to help but we need much more information.