4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 13, 2011 10:01 AM by WTF, Over?

Problems Exporting to PDF with ID 5.5 - specific symptoms

WTF, Over? Level 1

I'm hoping the symptoms of my problem are specific enough that someone will have a good idea of what's wrong.

I have multiple chapter files that I use to make up a single book file, which I create the pdf from. Here's what happens:

1. When I click on the "print the book" icon at the bottom of the book window, ID will crash.

2. So instead, I click on the pull-down menu at the upper right of the window and select "Export book to pdf".

3. Now, it generates a pdf but in the pdf some pages are with a single page from the ID file and some have two pages spread across a single pdf page, very randomly it appears.

4. To get around this (or so I thought) I went to document setup in ID and deselected the "Facing Pages" checkbox.

5. As soon as I do this, the left side header and footer of all pages in that chapter get offset to the left. Ok, so I go to the master page and realign them.

6. Now I export again in the manner described above and the page numbering comes out all messed up in the pdf. Even if the ID (source) file has pages 6-1, 6-2, etc. in the pdf every page will be marked as 6-1.

Any help on this will be greatly appreciated! I am using Windows XP.

• 1. Re: Problems Exporting to PDF with ID 5.5 - specific symptoms
          John Hawkinson Level 5
          1. When I click on the "print the book" icon at the bottom of the book window, ID will crash.

Great, then you can get a Dr. Watson crash report! See http://indesignsecrets.com/guide-to-interpreting-indesign-crash-reports.php

and post the stack trace here (or the whole report on http://pastebin.com. But not here, it's waaaaay tooooo loooooong.) The stack trace can give us a clue what is going wrong.

I'm not quite sure what is going on with your page numbering. Try exporting to IDML and reopening that and seeing if it clears corruption in your document.

• 2. Re: Problems Exporting to PDF with ID 5.5 - specific symptoms
            Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

WTF, Over? wrote:

4. To get around this (or so I thought) I went to document setup in ID and deselected the "Facing Pages" checkbox.

5. As soon as I do this, the left side header and footer of all pages in that chapter get offset to the left. Ok, so I go to the master page and realign them.

6. Now I export again in the manner described above and the page numbering comes out all messed up in the pdf. Even if the ID (source) file has pages 6-1, 6-2, etc. in the pdf every page will be marked as 6-1.

Firstly - the 4-6 steps are unnescearry - I recommend you go back to the original layout.

WTF, Over? wrote:

I have multiple chapter files that I use to make up a single book file, which I create the pdf from. Here's what happens:

2. So instead, I click on the pull-down menu at the upper right of the window and select "Export book to pdf".

3. Now, it generates a pdf but in the pdf some pages are with a single page from the ID file and some have two pages spread across a single pdf page, very randomly it appears.

I recommend you delete that Book file and create a new one.

if the problem persists, try selecting individual documents in the Book to export to PDF or to print. It could be a specific file causing the issue.

If some pages are coming out as "spreads" then you must have facing pages in some documents and some single pages in another document or something? I recommend turning off Spreads in the PDF and print settings.

It's a little unclear of your document structure - and your document sizes. What are the sizes of the document in all the individual Chapters. Can you post screen shots of the Book panel - and also of each Chapter file (just a single or spread of a page(s))

• 3. Re: Problems Exporting to PDF with ID 5.5 - specific symptoms
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

It also sounds to me like when you export to PDF you are using the default PDF (Interactive) since you are getting a combination of single and two-page spreads. Change the theype to PDF (Print) and be sure "spreads" is not checked inthe dialog.

• 4. Re: Problems Exporting to PDF with ID 5.5 - specific symptoms
                WTF, Over? Level 1

Thanks to all of you for answering, and especially to Eugene who nailed it.

I had been renaming old book files from CS 3 and using those - I should have known better I guess.

Deleting the old book file and creating a new one so far seems to have fixed the problem.

If anyone needs more details on this or what I was doing go ahead and post your questions and I'll try to answer them.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond to my question!