2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 1, 2016 1:34 PM by SquareEyz

"Rule of Thirds" Gridline

Toomany3 Level 1

Is there any way to turn on/off a "rule of thirds" gridline in AE without creating a solid layer with a grid effect? 

Is there a way to customize the porportial grid guide?  I don't need all the green lines it defaults to, I just want a tic-tac-toe board like you'd see in a camera's view finder.      

• 1. Re: "Rule of Thirds" Gridline
          TimeRemapper Level 4

Did you examine the section about guides and grids in the Preferences? You can make some of those adjustments there...

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: "Rule of Thirds" Gridline
            SquareEyz Level 1

I can't believe it took me so long to figure this out. er, no I'm not responding to this post after reading it in 2011 . but more and more I've been using my own guide file for composition reference in a 1920x1080 workflow. Recently I've been making outputs for social media in nonstandard pixel dimensions and was stumped trying to do this via an expression based animation preset. After abandoning that, I poked around in the guides and grids pref that TimeRemapper recommended. 
            After clumsily mashing the keys and doing basic math I figured it out.

All ya do is go to the Prefs/ Grids & Guides and set the Horizontal and Vertical to 3. Viola - rule of thirds composition guide with minimal GPU/CPU overhead, that scales to whatever aspect ratio you are working in.
            Proportional Grid, set to 3.png

Hope this helps someone!

D

1 person found this helpful