2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 13, 2011 4:00 AM by PS-Kim

How to allow non-text page into TOC and have it export to ePub?

PS-Kim

Hi there,

I've got an InDesign book file with several document files added as "chapters."  One of these files is the title page of the book, which is composed entirely of graphic images (i.e. there is no text on the page).

I want this page to be visible in the table of contents when exported for Kindle and/or ePub, but I can't for the life of me figure this out.

I've tried creating a layer on the title page and adding "Title Page" text to it and applying the correct TOC style.  This gets the page on the TOC, but the "Title Page" text is visible.  I've tried turning off "Print Layer" and "Show Layer" for this layer, but the text is still visible on the page when exported.

Any ideas?

I'm beginning to think that I'm going to have to edit the TOC manually after it's exported, but I was trying to avoid this.

Thanks,

Kim

• 1. Re: How to allow non-text page into TOC and have it export to ePub?
          wjnp2000 Level 2

Hi Kim,

I was used two ways:

1. Put the text (title) on the page and color it with paper color, It only appears on the TOC and link woks; and

2. More complicated: put one line with style that TOC wants and edit the epub  in Html to show in the epub.

Wagner

• 2. Re: How to allow non-text page into TOC and have it export to ePub?
            PS-Kim Level 1

Hi Wagner,

Thanks for the reply.  I've tried what you suggested in #1.  In short, I:

Created a style called Chapter Number Invisible based on my Chapter Header style, which is a TOC style.

I made one change to this by making the color "Paper."

I then added the text, "Title Page" to the title page and applied the style.

Unfortunately, I don't think that Kindle export handles white or non-colored text, and thus, I still get the text showing on the page after export.

Unless I'm doing something wrong, it looks like I'm going to have to edit the TOC manually, which is a pain.

Thanks again,

Kim