19 Replies Latest reply on Sep 26, 2012 7:23 AM by Bill Gehrke

Ram Disk or Ram Cache?

Rkenosha Level 1

Hi, everyone. In my new build I am using 64 gig or memory. Has anyone used and found it helpful to use ram disk or ram cache for PPro or AE? If so what did you use to create the disk or cashe. Thanks Roman

• 1. Re: Ram Disk or Ram Cache?
          wonderspark Level 1

The problem with RAMdisks on Premiere or After Effects is that it has to be set up before launching the programs, so it's a pain. You have to create the RAMdisk, then launch PPro or AE, assign it as the scratch, and then relaunch. If you reboot, that ramdisk is gone, right? Then you have to remake it before you relaunch PPro or AE, otherwise it will say "I don't have the scratch disk, so I'm going to use space on your C: drive / home directory." (in so many words)

I considered it, but I shut down every night, and don't feel like going through all that every day. I have a nice little script that makes ramdisk creation that much easier, but just couldn't be bothered, since my RAID works pretty well already. I would love to hear your experiences if you try it. I might use one myself, if it makes a difference.

• 2. Re: Ram Disk or Ram Cache?
            JEShort01 Level 4

I tried a RAMDISK to speed up Premiere CS5 for times when the 24GB of on-board RAM was not being fully utilized, however it just slowed things down.

My suspicion is that Windows can use "unused" RAM for caching, etc. in ways very native to Windows and the RAMDISK setup with its associated overhead is less effective.

Jim

• 3. Re: Ram Disk or Ram Cache?
              Crist OC/PC Level 2

"If you reboot, that ramdisk is gone, right?"

WRONG. Will work perfectly as a extra HDD. only 30 times faster

Allready tested...

• 4. Re: Ram Disk or Ram Cache?
                Crist OC/PC Level 2

Dear Jim

Will you tell me exactly how the Ramdisk Just slowed down thing for you? I'm doing several tests on my news 3930 and I´m really positive.

My test.:

20gb ram disk. work fantastic.

Asus SSD CACHE, Reali not so exacting AS RAM cache is nearly the same but faster. SSD CACHE can be use only for 1 HDD, Ram cache can be aply in ON BOARD RAID, so I let you something to imagine...

BTW did you try the Ram disk on your 970 or you got a new 39XX,

When you set the ram cache or ran disk you don't have to be running a 32bit OS. It is very easy, you provably know that Right?

I'm keep pushing the 3930 up in OC. as I start whit 2 identical pc both are using a corsair h100, and they are @ 4.7 with a very stable temp. I need a bit of time ti put them @ 5ghz which is my target, the I will publish result in the PPBM WITH AND WITHOUT OC and for sure will fine the must optimal  on board HDD config.

Them later I will try my custom water cooling Sys where I spect +5ghz...

• 5. Re: Ram Disk or Ram Cache?
                  wonderspark Level 1

Great, so you edit in Premiere and After Effects using a RAM disk, and no problems? Guess I'll try it myself. I only have 32GB, so I'll only make a 2GB RAM disk, saving 24GB for Adobe and 6GB for other processes.

• 6. Re: Ram Disk or Ram Cache?
                    JEShort01 Level 4

Cristo,

Good luck with the new build and testing; I'm looking forwards to your findings!

Regarding how I "tested" with a RAMDISK, it was by running PPBM5 multiple times using different configurations. For example, set up the RAMDISK and assign media cache and media cache DB to it, etc.

Realize too that I am using big, fast arrays already, and only had 24GB of total RAM to play with. On a 48GB system, things could have turned out very differently - my RAMDISK was about 10GB in size, whereas 48GB of RAM would have allowed for a 34GB RAMDISK partition. Bill Gehrke here told me about the program I used; it is called RAMdisk by Dataram.

Cheers,

Jim

• 8. Re: Ram Disk or Ram Cache?
                      Crist OC/PC Level 2

@ the moment for me the super cache "RAM CACHE" is showing more cool. I leet you the link so you can try it as well and look the pic above.

http://www.superspeed.com/download/trialversions.php

RAM CACHE, RAMDISK, ORIGINAL WD.jpg

Cheers

Cristobal

• 9. Re: Ram Disk or Ram Cache?
                        Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Jim, I also found the 24 GB old limitation that RAMDisk was not much help.  Now that I have a 32 GB machine I guess I will have to try that but it will not be until after Christmas.  With 32 GB I can set a 14 GB RAMdisk (enough to hold all of the PPBM project and results) and get some data.  By the way just going from 16 GB to 32 GB improved my PPBM5.5 scpore by more than 5 seconds.

• 10. Re: Ram Disk or Ram Cache?

Well I squeezed the RAMdisk test in and could not find any improvement over the the testing of PPBM5.5 with 32 GB of RAM.  With the RAMdisk software set to allocate 14 GB to the RAMdisk and the remaining 18 GB used as regular RAM I got statistically the same results as I got running the test with 3 each 1 TB 7200 rpm drives in RAID 0.  Why did I use three drives?  My drives are the older 7200.12 Seagate drives so I wanted to emulate two of the newer ones when they again become cost effective.  The newer 1 TB/platter 64 MB cache Seagate drives are much faster but until hard drive get back to "normal" I have to improvise.

• 11. Re: Ram Disk or Ram Cache?
                            Crist OC/PC Level 2

Jim I got a fantastic result. 115 sec aprox. And is not yet the final

tunning. I believe can make it 15% faster :). My pc is running just @ 4.8,

I'm sure I will rise 5.2 @ least.

Note.: I used a Gtx 275

• 12. Re: Ram Disk or Ram Cache?
                              JEShort01 Level 4

Cristo,

Simply incredible!!! That is fantastic and quite interesting news indeed; and with a lowly GTX 275 no less .

Did you use any hard drives?

Was it CS5 or CS5.5?

Regards,

Jim

• 13. Re: Ram Disk or Ram Cache?
                                Crist OC/PC Level 2

Jim it was in PP 5.5, the suit is install on a SSD and project disk

ramdisk. I have a lot of info to share, let me make mor test them I'll

inform every one.

• 14. Re: Ram Disk or Ram Cache?
                                  Studio North Films Level 3

Looks very interesting,

please foward further information once you have done more tests.

• 15. Re: Ram Disk or Ram Cache?
                                    msvideo_uk Level 1

What was the outcome of the RAM disk and SSD cache tests? Is there a config that is worthwhile for real world PPro project use?

• 16. Re: Ram Disk or Ram Cache?
                                      mahinthan5

Why would you need it?

I agree Ram is faster than SSD. But the cache / scratch or what ever will be used only once the RAM fills in any program. So when the system can automatically do the task why are you willing taking additional difficulties for same objective in different path? That's why no consumer os manufactures doesn't provide any utilities like this.

If you feel the need of scratch / cache Install more Ram. There is no point doing this kind of Ram disk Drive for caching purpose. It is like taking the half of the avilable cache and keep it to acces in diffrent way.

I will say the only need for Ram disk will be when ever you want to prolong the life time of SSD by routing the temp files on it. But i thing nowadays even that might not worth doing since SSD prices are falling

If i am wrong in some thing educate me

• 17. Re: Ram Disk or Ram Cache?
                                        Crist OC/PC Level 2

Why do we need another cache scheme since Windows OS has already implemented a file-system level cache?

• Some applications bypass the file-system level cache.
                                        • Windows caches all data, while FancyCache can cache on behalf of a specified volume/disk in which users are interested. Given same size of system memory, the latter has a higher hit-rate.
                                        • FancyCache can utilize the OS Invisible Memory on 32-bit Windows as a cache medium.
                                        • FancyCache can utilize SSD (Solid-state Drive) as a cache medium, as ReadyBoost does.
                                        • 18. Re: Ram Disk or Ram Cache?
                                          Fabio Pis Level 1

Bill, are you sure for this?

I am using supercache with a ram disk of 18 gb and PPBM fails with sheep sound on disk test.

I have realized that ram is saturated by this test and i can't beat Cristobal PPBM5 result with "only" 32 gb installed on my system! :-)

Bill said:

Jim, I also found the 24 GB old limitation that RAMDisk was not much help. Now that I have a 32 GB machine I guess I will have to try that but it will not be until after Christmas. With 32 GB I can set a 14 GB RAMdisk (enough to hold all of the PPBM project and results) and get some data. By the way just going from 16 GB to 32 GB improved my PPBM5.5 scpore by more than 5 seconds.

• 19. Re: Ram Disk or Ram Cache?

Well I do not have time to repeat the test now as my 32 GB motherboard is involved with another project right now but I am positive of those results.  But for the RAM caching I was using Dataram RamDisk.