6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 13, 2011 12:18 PM by L2AU3

AE application window Search results

L2AU3

AE Application Window Search results problem.

I have a question on the upper right hand corner of the application window search box access AE community help. If I type and enter “fireball tutorial” a search is not performed and instead the result is the Adobe Community Help page with the download icons for all Adobe Products PDF offline Help. I want to Search Community Help from the application window search box, not the pdf help menu. My application window search is not showing the results of a search performed of a subset of the worldwide web (“Specifically  a subset that has been vetted by experts at Adobe to only provide results from websites that are known to provide high quality information.”) What can I adjust in order to enable Search to access the web page I am looking for?

I upgraded to CS5.5 recently from CS4. (CS4 Search is fine.) There isn't an internet connectivity problem. The web page I am looking for opens from the Welcome Screen> window> Help and Support> Search but I would much prefer to use the search field in the application window . 

• 1. Re: AE application window Search results
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

This search panel opens up Adobe help which searches the Adobe Community Help for info. It isn't designed to search the web. The icons are to help you refine your search to specific products. The panel at the left reports the documents found. If you search for fireball tutorial you'll not find any references because, apparently, there are no fireball tutorials listed in the Adobe Community Help, but if you type in Motion Tracking, you'll get a bunch of stuff to look at and links to a half dozen tutorials from inside the help files.

The Adobe help files are not Google. Typing fireball tutorial in Google, or better yet AE fireball tutorial, brings up a bunch of things to look at, not one of them is part of the Adobe Community Help. Help is not Google. Search for help on just about anything that has to do with the functional aspects of After Effects and you'll end up with a bunch of resources. Try masking, track matte, edit path, keying, CC Ball Action and you'll get something. If you want a tutorial on using CC Ball Action, then you'll have to do a Google search because the folks that populate the Adobe community help haven't written a specific article on CC Ball Action yet.

• 2. Re: AE application window Search results
            L2AU3 Level 1

Rick, I realize that you misunderstand my question. In order to clairify let me guide you to an AE tutorial that shows the search I am attempting. The author is video2brain.com and the tutorial is FAQ: How do I find tutorials and information about After Effects?  At at 00:54 in the 2:31 minute video you will see the Search I am referring to. Please take a few minutes and watch the video so that you might understand my question.As I said, the Search works fine in AE CS4 but does not in the CS5 upgrade. Please refer me to someone who can address and resolve this issue. Here's the link to the video.  http://www.video2brain.com/en/videos-1254.htm Laurrie

Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2011 09:39:20 -0700

To: corpora_striata@hotmail.com

Subject: AE application window Search results

Re: AE application window Search results

created by Rick Gerard in After Effects - View the full discussion

This search panel opens up Adobe help which searches the Adobe Community Help for info. It isn't designed to search the web. The icons are to help you refine your search to specific products. The panel at the left reports the documents found. If you search for fireball tutorial you'll not find any references because, apparently, there are no fireball tutorials listed in the Adobe Community Help, but if you type in Motion Tracking, you'll get a bunch of stuff to look at and links to a half dozen tutorials from inside the help files.  The Adobe help files are not Google. Typing fireball tutorial in Google, or better yet AE fireball tutorial, brings up a bunch of things to look at, not one of them is part of the Adobe Community Help. Help is not Google. Search for help on just about anything that has to do with the functional aspects of After Effects and you'll end up with a bunch of resources. Try masking, track matte, edit path, keying, CC Ball Action and you'll get something. If you want a tutorial on using CC Ball Action, then you'll have to do a Google search because the folks that populate the Adobe community help haven't written a specific article on CC Ball Action yet.

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4081747#4081747

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at http://forums.adobe.com/message/4081747#4081747. In the Actions box on the right, click the Stop Email Notifications link.

Start a new discussion in After Effects by email or at Adobe Forums

For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to http://forums.adobe.com/message/2936746#2936746.

• 3. Re: AE application window Search results
              L2AU3 Level 1

wrong search result.JPGRick, I realize that you misunderstand my question. In order to clairify let me guide you to an AE tutorial that shows the search I am attempting. The author is video2brain.com and the tutorial is FAQ: How do I find tutorials and information about After Effects? The video's time indicator for the application Search I am referring to is at 00:54 in the 2:31 minute video. Please take a few minutes and watch the video so that you might understand my question and possibly help me! It is a valid question.

Here's the link to the video. http://www.video2brain.com/en/videos-1254.htm

• 4. Re: AE application window Search results
                Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Have you opened up the search options and selected Online for the search location. It sounds like, and I answered like you were have the Adobe Help preferences set to search locally. You may also choose to open help in a browser.

Screen Shot 2011-12-13 at 10.29.55 AM.png

• 5. Re: AE application window Search results
                  Dave LaRonde Level 6

Most of that information is covered here.

• 6. Re: AE application window Search results
                    L2AU3 Level 1

The preference settings were set correctly. I didn't realize it would open in a side bar (see attached) and that View>Search has to be open. Old habits from using earlier versions are hard to forget! it opens in this panel in CS5.JPG