2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 13, 2011 9:39 AM by davidbeisner2010

RAID question...

davidbeisner2010 Level 3

I have two RAID arrays in my system... one is a 3x 1TB drive RAID-5 (totals 2TB) that's set up using the onboard Marvell controller chip and Intel software RAID. The second is a 4x 2TB drive RAID-5 (totals 6TB) that's in an external enclosure and set up using a G-Tech hardware Highpoint RAID card on a PCI-e bus.

I'm contemplating doing a full wipe and reinstall of OS and Programs, and my question is, can I safely do that without risk of losing data on the RAID arrays? I'm fairly confident the hardware RAID will be okay, but since the software RAID is set up using software that's installed on the OS, I'm concerned that by wiping the OS (and therefore the controlling software) and doing a re-install will result in that RAID being ruined... thoughts?

• 1. Re: RAID question...
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Since the Marvell raid is setup in the BIOS and not in Windows, unless yoiu have been trying to make it REALLY slow by using Windows software, you should be OK, but if you have tried to make it even slower than it ought to be and you have used Windows software, you will lose all your material. Doesn't really matter, because you will have a good backup strategy in place, I hope.

The G-Tech raid will survive a fresh install, but will still suffer from the eSATA connection. I think it would be a nice moment to add a dedicated raid controller to improve your performance.

• 2. Re: RAID question...
            davidbeisner2010 Level 3

Thanks, Harm. I think the RAID did get set up from within the Windows control panel using the Intel software, and not the BIOS, so that may be an issue... However, I do have all that data backed up, so that's not a problem... It's the external array I was most concerned about because I don't have that backed up at all...

I wish I could get a dedicated RAID controller, but unfortunately the budget is completely shot for this year... I'm going to rebuild the system from the ground up, and when I do I'll set up the internal RAID from the BIOS instead of the software...