• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flash Player Stopped Working

New Here ,
Dec 13, 2011 Dec 13, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I posted this request earlier in a different forum but for some reason, I cannot add additional comments to that post from my home computer so I am sorry for not following up on that post.  I write this from my work computer which is the only way I can add comments in these forums.

I recently uninstalled Adobe Flash Player using the uninstall utility provided on Adobe's web site after I noticed that my Flash Player stopped working.  I then installed the current version of Flash Player but it still doesn't work.  I also recently installed Google Chrome to see if the problem was limited to Internet Explorer but I have the same problem with Google Chrome.

I thought that maybe it is some kind of malware so I have performed complete scans using my antivirus/malware program (CA Internet Security Suite) which found no malicious files.  I also installed and ran Malwarebytes as a secondary scanner which also found nothing.

I am running Windows XP (32 bit) Service Pack 3 and Internet Explorer 7 as well as Google Chrome.

Any serious help is greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if you go to http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/ do you see the Flash animation?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Jan 06, 2012 Jan 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also having a problem with the 11.1.102.55 version being downloaded and it does not work in that it is not being recognized as downloaded when I go to play a video.  When I went to the link you have in your comment, I don't see any animation I get an empty box with a x in the corner????  Any help would be appreciated.  This is so frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 07, 2012 Jan 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Freddys mom: what is your operating system & version, web browser & version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you be a little bit more explicit what you mean by "doesn't work" - what exactly are you seeing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 14, 2011 Dec 14, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Xircal:  I do not see the flash player animation when I follow that link.

When I say that flash player has stopped working, whenever I go to youtube and click on a video, nothing plays, the video never comes on.  Also, any other flash animation that may be on a webpage just doesn't work.

Is it possible that my wireless router could be the problem?  I had read somewhere on the web that another person was trying to set up his router to connect to a Bluray player and it created all kinds of problems for him.  When he disconnected the router and hard wired the ethernet cable back into his modem everything went back to normal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 14, 2011 Dec 14, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you disable your antivirus app before reinstalling Flash? Most of these security apps have all kinds of shields designed to protect your system from attack, but don't often differentiate between a genuine app and a rogue one. Consequently when the file scanner springs into action to scan the installation, it interferes with the process leading to corruption further down the line.

What I suggest you do is to follow the same path in this post which resolved a similar problem for another user yesterday: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4081633#4081633

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 15, 2011 Dec 15, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm, I did not disable my antivirus app before reinstalling Flash.  I will give that a try later tonight and will provide a follow up later.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 20, 2011 Dec 20, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Xircal, I tried what you recommended but it did not work.  I did verify that I do have the latest version of Flash Player installed on my computer but here's where it gets weird.  If I go directly to the Adobe Flash Player "About" webpage through my IE7 browser, the spinning F is absent and there is no box showing the current Flash version installed on my computer.  If I go to my control panel and click on the Flash Player icon, then click on the Advanced Tab in the Flash Player Settings Manager and then click on the Update Now button under Updates, it then brings me to the Adobe Flash Player "About" webpage where I now see the spinning F and a box which tells me which version of Flash Player is installed. Within the Update section of the Flash Player Settings Manager, it tells me that I have Active X Version 11.1.102.55 but it tells me that the Plug-in version is not installed.  I don't know why I can't view Youtube videos but at least I know that I have the current version of Flash Player installed on my computer.  Could the problem lie somewhere whithin the IE7 browser?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

lWarPigl wrote:

Xircal, I tried what you recommended but it did not work.  I did verify that I do have the latest version of Flash Player installed on my computer but here's where it gets weird.  If I go directly to the Adobe Flash Player "About" webpage through my IE7 browser, the spinning F is absent and there is no box showing the current Flash version installed on my computer.  If I go to my control panel and click on the Flash Player icon, then click on the Advanced Tab in the Flash Player Settings Manager and then click on the Update Now button under Updates, it then brings me to the Adobe Flash Player "About" webpage where I now see the spinning F and a box which tells me which version of Flash Player is installed. Within the Update section of the Flash Player Settings Manager, it tells me that I have Active X Version 11.1.102.55 but it tells me that the Plug-in version is not installed.  I don't know why I can't view Youtube videos but at least I know that I have the current version of Flash Player installed on my computer.  Could the problem lie somewhere whithin the IE7 browser?

Does your Flash Settings Manager look like the one you see in the screenshot?

flash_cpl.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Xircal, my Flash Settings Manager looks just like that except, instead of a version number for the Plug-in version, mine shows "not installed".  Also, I notice that in your photo you have "Never check for updates (not recommended)" checked.  I have "Check for updates automatically (recommended)" checked.  Should I have mine set to "Never check for updates"?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 21, 2011 Dec 21, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

lWarPigl wrote:

Xircal, my Flash Settings Manager looks just like that except, instead of a version number for the Plug-in version, mine shows "not installed".  Also, I notice that in your photo you have "Never check for updates (not recommended)" checked.  I have "Check for updates automatically (recommended)" checked.  Should I have mine set to "Never check for updates"?

The plugin version won't show on your system if you don't have another browser installed. I use Firefox for virtually everything, but need IE8 to manually download security patches so that's why you see two versions.

As for the download option, I don't like automatic updates and prefer to see what an update resolves, or adds before downloading it which is why you see that option checkmarked in my screenshot.

You could trying downloading Firefox from here if you like and see if that improves matters: http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/

But you'll have to download the Flash installers again because Firefox doesn't support ActiveX which incidentally, makes it a much safer browser than IE. You can download both Flash and Shockwave For Director from here.

There's no "Run" option when you download them, so just save them both to somewhere you can find them again easily and then close Firefox before you run them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 21, 2011 Dec 21, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the sugestion Xircal.  I do have another browser installed on my computer.  I installed Google Chrome to see if the problem with Flash Player was browser specific but it is not.  Flash videos won't play with Google Chrome either. 

Do you have any solutions to Flash not playing with either my IE7 or Google Chrome?

I don't know much about Firefox.  Is it a better browser than Google Chrome ot IE7 security wise?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

lWarPigl wrote:

Thanks for the sugestion Xircal.  I do have another browser installed on my computer.  I installed Google Chrome to see if the problem with Flash Player was browser specific but it is not.  Flash videos won't play with Google Chrome either. 

Do you have any solutions to Flash not playing with either my IE7 or Google Chrome?

I don't know much about Firefox.  Is it a better browser than Google Chrome ot IE7 security wise?

Firefox is more secure than IE7 or any version of IE for that matter because it doesn't support ActiveX. The latter is a Microsoft technology which is frequently targetted by malware and while Microsoft patches any loopholes which appear from time to time, abeit one month in arrears in most cases, Mozilla patches Firefox within 24 hours if any security issues are discovered.

Google Chrome is on par with Firefox security wise though. Also, Flash is embedded in GC and there shouldn't be any issues with it. Can you check through this list of known issues with it to see if you recognize anything? http://support.google.com/chrome/bin/static.py?hl=en&page=known_issues.cs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 10, 2012 Jan 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Xircal.  I will check so see what the issue is with Flash Player and Google Chrome and post my findings here in this post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 05, 2012 Jan 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same trouble here,

I got Flash player workng on YouTube, but all embedded content for instance on FB is not workin. The placeholder for embedded video just turns blank white on my FB wall, but the link opens the vids at youtube.com.

Running Win7 and latest Firefox 8.

Funny, how these updates seem to crash something that has been working for months. Think, if this was your motorcycle and the all new traction control and anti-locking brakes system took over while folding to a shikane on dry tarmac...

And the worst part is that, support is not coming from the releasing company, but some hobbyists, who I find beeing way above the company representatives considering how to solve problems on your system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pessed too wrote:

Running Win7 and latest Firefox 8.

Latest version of Firefox is 9.0.1 which also fixed a considerable number of bugs: http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/9.0.1/releasenotes/buglist.html

Also, check out the Facebook Help guide which includes video related issues: http://www.facebook.com/help/?page=214512881928339&ref=hcnav

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having this problem as well. Searching for answers, this appears to have been going on for months with no real response from Adobe. Great to see attempts from the community to address it, but since this happens for me in IE, Chrome, and Firefox, it is clear that it is a Flash issue. Uninstalling and reinstalling made no difference. In Firefox, even on the Adobe page after the install, the static image below the player window says it installed successfully, but after a long pause the plugin itself reports that it has crashed, prompts to send an error report and asks to reload the page. I'm running Windows 7 32 bit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

smalenberg wrote:

I'm having this problem as well. Searching for answers, this appears to have been going on for months with no real response from Adobe. Great to see attempts from the community to address it, but since this happens for me in IE, Chrome, and Firefox, it is clear that it is a Flash issue. Uninstalling and reinstalling made no difference. In Firefox, even on the Adobe page after the install, the static image below the player window says it installed successfully, but after a long pause the plugin itself reports that it has crashed, prompts to send an error report and asks to reload the page. I'm running Windows 7 32 bit.

While I don't necessarily disagree with you, the main problem with your argument is the fact that for many of us, Flash does work. I don't have any problem with it at all, either in IE8 or Firefox.

If you have Microsoft "Automatic Updates" enabled, do bear in mind that unless you specifically configure the OS to install "Recommended" updates as well as critical ones, they'll be ignored. Follow instructions on this site in order to determine whether there are any patches, especially those which resolve compatibility issues missing on your system: http://www.anewmorning.com/2008/08/14/how-to-download-your-windows-updates-manually/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I'm not sure whether using the downloaded uninstaller instead of the Windows remove programs was the difference, but that seems to have fixed it. I had followed the instructions to disable virus programs and my Windows updates are periodically reviewed - although I did add a security update today, but based on the release date I don't think it was the problem. Thanks for the help. Just not sure why Adobe isn't being more helpful about this - you'd think they'd make a sticky post about using the downloadable uninstaller if that is helping many people.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

smalenberg wrote:

Just not sure why Adobe isn't being more helpful about this - you'd think they'd make a sticky post about using the downloadable uninstaller if that is helping many people.

Why do you think they have set up that FAQ ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 07, 2012 Jan 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

smalenberg wrote:

Well, I'm not sure whether using the downloaded uninstaller instead of the Windows remove programs was the difference, but that seems to have fixed it. I had followed the instructions to disable virus programs and my Windows updates are periodically reviewed - although I did add a security update today, but based on the release date I don't think it was the problem. Thanks for the help. Just not sure why Adobe isn't being more helpful about this - you'd think they'd make a sticky post about using the downloadable uninstaller if that is helping many people.

Stickies don't seem to be very popular with Adobe for some strange reason. At the top of the forum though, there's a link to "Help" followed by links to Adobe's products. If you click the link to "Flash Player", you get this page which includes troubleshooting links: http://www.adobe.com/support/flashplayer/ You'll see the uninstaller there.

I agree with you though that a sticky would be much easier to find.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 22, 2012 Jan 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need help as well =S i have mozila firefox, and my Flash player 11.1.102.55 doesnt work, the animation after the instalation works but it stops after that, i checked java script, and the mozila options, would it be easier to fix this problem or install the better Flash 10 that actually works ( sorry ive been trying to make this work for a couple of weeks. please help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Jan 22, 2012 Jan 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

When posting, please provide:

• Operating system version (including 32bit or 64bit edition) 
  • Web browser and version (including 32bit or 64bit edition) 
  • The Flash Player version 
  • Give us a brief explanation of the problem, please include any information you feel is important 
  • Please do not use existing topics to append questions that are entirely different from the original topic. When in doubt create a new topic

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines