10 Replies Latest reply on Dec 14, 2011 3:25 AM by cjacs987654

Fixing bugs in earlier versions

cjacs987654 Level 1

Hi

Could someone clarify what Adobe's policy is regarding fixing bugs in earlier versions than the current, in particular

Adobe have agreed there is a problem importing footage from Atomos Ninja regarding the audio channels, but they say it is fixed in CS5.5,

no mention of CS5

I have CS5, and wondered if Adobe stop fixing bugs in earlier versions once a new version is announced.

Yes i know I can upgrade, but at this stage I dont want to do that, i just want a bug fixed in software I have purchased

Regards

Chris Anderson

• 1. Re: Fixing bugs in earlier versions
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Chris,

Historically, when PrPro has moved to a new version, there are seldom updates for older versions. Cannot say that is ALWAYS the case, but usually is.

Sorry for the bad news,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Fixing bugs in earlier versions
            Harm Millaard Level 7

Yes i know I can upgrade, but at this stage I dont want to do that, i just want a bug fixed in software I have purchased

I have the exact same complaint about Microsoft. Windows 3.11 has a bug that has been pestering me all this time and they never resolved it. Same with Word 6. That was never resolved either. My solution: move on.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Fixing bugs in earlier versions
              shooternz Level 6

Are you sure its a bug and not just a "problem"?

The Atomos Ninja was released to the market after CS5

What actually is the issue with the audio files from the device anyway?

• 4. Re: Fixing bugs in earlier versions
                cjacs987654 Level 1

Hi Harm,

I respect your answer, but windows 3.1 is 20 years old. I bought my CS5 about a year ago. I am a computer programmer, if my client points out an error I have made, I bend over backwards to fix it no matter how old the code is, I guess im old school

Thanks anyway,

Regards

Chris

• 5. Re: Fixing bugs in earlier versions
                  cjacs987654 Level 1

Hi

The problem was reported by Atomos to adobe and adobe confirmed it was a bug not a problem, and fixed in 5.5.1 thus

'Hi Steven,

One thing to be aware of when using the Atomos field recorder – We’ve had some reports that the default 4-channel audio format it records to can cause some incompatibility problems in CS5 and CS5.5. We’ve just released a free update – 5.5.1, that addresses this issue. So, either make sure you have the latest update, or set the Atomos to 2-channel audio recording. Thanks for reading!'

The above came from an adobe guy

Thanks for your reply

Chris

• 6. Re: Fixing bugs in earlier versions
                    shooternz Level 6

I did notice he called it a "compatibilty problem" and not a bug ...but anyway he also gave a solution.

I have an Atomos Samurai and have not had the issue ( hence my interest)  but I also am on CS5.5.x

• 7. Re: Fixing bugs in earlier versions
                      Harm Millaard Level 7

Chris,

I understand the problem you have, but please try to understand Adobe's position as well. They have limited resources and they have to fix bugs in the current version, test extensively whether they did not break anything in the process of fixing the bug, while at the same time they are busy developing a next version with new features, that users have requested, testing that extensively. At the same time there is a further complication in that all the programs in say the Master Collection must be ready at the same time for market introduction.

With all these complications and the limited resources, priorities have to be set. How critical is a bug, is there a workaround, how many are affected? Of course the currently sold version has a higher priority than a version no longer sold. It might even be an enticement for many to upgrade to the current version.

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Fixing bugs in earlier versions
                        cjacs987654 Level 1

Hi Harm

Thanks for your reply, and I do take your point.

Regards

Chris

• 9. Re: Fixing bugs in earlier versions
                          Richard M Knight Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I had a similar problem with 4 track EX files that Adobe support could not fix with V5.0. I had to upgrade to 5.5

Perhaps Adobe should offer a free upgrade for those of us with a Support case number.

Just a thought....

Richard Knight

• 10. Re: Fixing bugs in earlier versions
                            cjacs987654 Level 1

Hi Richard

Thanks for your reply - I agree offcourse -

Chris