10 Replies Latest reply on Dec 14, 2011 7:09 AM by Rick Gerard

3D Shape Layer Stroke Animation

fhxfhx Level 1

Hi, I have created a 3D shape layer with a circle to animate a stroke on it. Now the shape layer comes with a stroke already, which has no start / end point to animate though, so I *** effects / generate / stroke ... now thing is I only see the stroke the shape layer comes with, but not the effect / stroke yet ... how do I get my animate able stroke turned on ? Just turning off the 1st stroke doesn’t help.

http://my.jetscreenshot.com/10418/20111213-xbpw-25kb.jpg

http://my.jetscreenshot.com/10418/20111213-o9lf-41kb.jpg

Any hint appreciated.

Regards,

Frank

• 1. Re: 3D Shape Layer Stroke Animation
          markerline Level 4

I can't quite remember but I think you have to change the "All Masks" parameter to something different than the "Off" setting.

• 2. Re: 3D Shape Layer Stroke Animation
            Dave LaRonde Level 6

What happens if you animate the stroke's end from 0% to 100%?

• 3. Re: 3D Shape Layer Stroke Animation
              fhxfhx Level 1

Hi Dave, thx for reply. animation also didn't bring up the 2nd stroke

• 4. Re: 3D Shape Layer Stroke Animation
                Dave LaRonde Level 6

So make a square-pixel solid, in equal horizontal & vertical dimensions.  Cut a circle-shaped mask by highlighting the solid, then double-clicking on the Ellipse mask.  Add the stroke effect to the solid to the mask. Animate the effect.

• 5. Re: 3D Shape Layer Stroke Animation
                  fhxfhx Level 1

ya this way it's working, I had seen with another example that solid layers accept the stroke animation on their mask path. Bummer that shapes not play along with stroke ani. Another question, is there a way to define the normal of a path in AE so that the stroke is rotated on the path itself, I want to use it stand up rather than lay flat ...

http://my.jetscreenshot.com/10418/20111213-b1xn-25kb.jpg

• 6. Re: 3D Shape Layer Stroke Animation
                    Dave LaRonde Level 6

That gets trickier.  Trapcode's 3D Stroke MAY be able to do it; I don't know for sure.  You could do it with an animated precomp then apply CC Cylinder, but it wouldn't be 3D.

• 7. Re: 3D Shape Layer Stroke Animation
                      Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Another question, is there a way to define the normal of a path in AE so that the stroke is rotated on the path itself,

You're confusing things, I'm afraid. You rotated the layer in its entirety, not the path. A layer is always flat, so even if such an option existed in one of the stroke generating effects, that wouldn't do you any good. AE does not have 3D geometry, not even something mundane as a path and that is that. As Dave already suggested, Trapcode 3D Stroke or CC Cylinder might offer an aleternative, but matching it to the scene yould become fiddly. Similarly, using Trapcode Particular and animating a 3D light on a circular path to be used as a motion Path/ emitter might work. Also Freeform with a suitable texture might get some of that done...

Mylenium

• 8. Re: 3D Shape Layer Stroke Animation
                        fhxfhx Level 1

thought so that AE probably has just semi 3D in background. have set the stroke width to 1 and duplicated it on y, but get the gaps (which probably is ok as an result). do you know if there is 3d echo effect that duplicates it without the gaps ?

http://my.jetscreenshot.com/10418/20111214-ruiv-26kb.jpg

smaller increments make it even good, but echo would be easier to handle

http://my.jetscreenshot.com/10418/20111214-ijde-29kb.jpg

• 9. Re: 3D Shape Layer Stroke Animation
                          Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Rather than use Stroke, you could create your line with a 3D text layer.  Create a text layer made up of of lots of periods/full stops (.) and set it's Animator settings to 3D-per-Character.  Apply a spherical Mask and set that as the text Path property.  Adjust the tracking so that the dots become a singular line.  Rotate the character's (not the layer's) X setting to 90 degrees.  Write on and off by animating the opacity or the tracking.  Use a font with square edged period for straight-edged stroke, or round period for round edged stroke.  Or experiment with other characters like arrows etc.

• 10. Re: 3D Shape Layer Stroke Animation
                            Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

fhxfhx wrote:

Another question, is there a way to define the normal of a path in AE so that the stroke is rotated on the path itself, I want to use it stand up rather than lay flat ...

This is not possible, but it is possible with plug-ins or with multiple copies of a stroked layer offset by no more than one pixel in Z using an expression. The camera would have to move to the top and look down on the extrusion.

Using Free Form, now included with AE. Animate a stroke on a layer, then use the mesh controls to bend the layer in a semi circle. A spotlight and some ambient light sell the 3D and AE's camera interact perfectly with the shape.

Screen Shot 2011-12-14 at 7.01.14 AM.png

Another option is Particular. You can use a light as an emitter and then fly the light around the path streaming particles that create the line.

Another option is CC Cylinder, but it will take a bit of trickery through expressions to integrate camera movement and the other 3D objects.

Still another option is Canoa, or Borris FX and their cylinder tools. They integrate with AE's 3D camera. The only option that isn't viable is just using a shape layer or a stroke on a solid.