• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can you set Lightroom to "Delete after import" ?

New Here ,
Dec 13, 2011 Dec 13, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm just starting to use lightroom, and one of the features I'm looking for is the option to automatically delete the images from my flash card after they have been imported. Is there a hidden option to do such a thing?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is not a way to do this in LR. It's been the subject of several, sometimes heated, discussions. Here's just one to look at:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/1434331#1434331

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.  I guess that means I have to feature requests: this, and a better search algorithm for these forums 😉

I suppose I'll just make a batch file and put it on my desktop to wipe the card when I'm done.  Once it's off the card, it gets backed up to three locations locally and one remote location, all within 6 hours at the absolute worst case.  I might do 250 shoots a year, so not having to manually go to the card and delete the shots after import every time can add up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most people just format the cards in their camera the next time they use them. Some discussions say its the recommneded way to erase images. Seems easier than dealing with batch files, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Nov 04, 2012 Nov 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The reason this feature doesn't exist in LR is that it can cause problems in the long run. It's not a good idea to let the computer mess with the file system created by the camera.

It's much better to format the card in your camera. That way you get a clean slate every time. For the same reason you should also never use a memory card that has been formatted in a different camera model.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 08, 2012 Nov 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hallo Martin,

my opinion is opposit - since 2003 I use different cameras an I always format my cards on the PC an I had never a problem! In this way I can name the card - in cameras impossible!

An I don´t want, that Lightroom erases the imported files without any question! What I want is a feature that I can say in the options

- dont erase after import

- erase after import

- import, verify the files an than erase <-- this would be my choice.

If my choice is "erase", the Program prompts me bevor the final erasing an I can say "Yes, erase" or "no, don´t erase".

This is as Photoshop Elements works and it is good!

I can´t believe, that in Photoshop Elements (I think, more used by leymen than LR) this feature is dangerouse! I uses PSE since 2.0 an still in the new 11.0 it is implemented. If it would be dangerouse, this feature would be deleted since long time! I don´t want to be domineered by a software/software engineer!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 08, 2012 Nov 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not so sure Adobe has *ever* said it's dangerous, or bad for your card... - I've only heard users say stuff like that, speculating about Adobe's motivations...

OttoImporter supports delete after import.

Yeah, that's right... .

Rob .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, there is no option for that. The philosophy is that before any deletion from a card files should be backed up first for safety and the files should be checked for possible corruption as well, this usually requires rendering previews rather than relying on camera ones.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the past I used PSE in different versions (more than 20.000 fotos imported). I had never had a problem with automatically erasing the files after import. In Elements-Photodownloader I use the Option "Verify and erase" (I am using a german version and dont know, how the option is called in english). Elements asks in an questionbox bevor erasing to do that.

I am not amused, that software designed in one firm is so different! And I saw LR4 on a Mac with this feature...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

kthe_hn wrote:

And I saw LR4 on a Mac with this feature...

This feature (delete after import) is not part of LR4...you must have seen something else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've seen so many threads here and on other bulletin boards along the lines of "I've copied files from my card and it said it worked but now I can't access them.  Oh, and I've wiped my card".  And so on and so on.  And yes, I've lost files through (my) user error.  Anyone that hasn't lost data through user or other error is either very young or very lucky. 

There's a useful mantra that I recommend anyone to follow: treat data as extremely fragile unless there are two (or more) copies.  I don't wipe the memory card until it's been copied to the PC, I've checked the data is OK, and I've backed it up. 

It creates very heated debate, as has been pointed out.  Some people reckon they have a basic human right to be careless with their data.  There are some rights not worth fighting for. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My import plugin deletes photos from card after import. - that may very well be my favorite feature of it.

I've been using it for years - no problems whatsoever.

I'm working on a newer version of it now, which will also include that feature (standby for "Otto Importer").

My computer knows how to delete files in a fashion that is perfectly acceptable to the camera...

My take:

* It doesn't "hurt" the card, or do anything to it that the camera doesn't like, or adversely affect reliability or longevity...

* The computer, coupled with human judgement, is far more capable of deciding whether images can be safely deleted from the card, than this human alone... - I've lost more pictures (and other files stored on the card) by formatting a card when I shouldn't have (very few), than I ever have by deleting after import (as of this date: exactly zero (0)).

In my opinion, delete after import (and imported copy + backup validation...) should just be implemented already! (disable by default to satisfy the superstitious, er I meant for backward compatibility).

Reminder: the request is to delete imported files, *not* re-format card. - as an option - not to be foisted on those who would prefer not to use it...

Final thoughts: Deleting after import is *not* "being careless with your data". The photos *must* be deleted, and after successful import, backup, and validation -its the right time to do it. Not deleting after import is riskier...

PS - I could even go along with mandatory approval - i.e. user must approve prior to deletion. Thus user could peruse the imported photos/files that are being considered for deletion, make sure there are no "faulty squares" on any of them, and then click 'OK'..., although even that should be user's perogative, in my opinion.

It's just more convenient to delete while they're loaded in the reader, than to put back in the camera after importing, and reformat. Having experienced it both ways, delete-after-import is like removing a pebble from your shoe - ya never realize how much it's been bothering you until it's gone...

Sorry - enough said already............

Cheers,

Rob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 28, 2016 Sep 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 12, 2018 Nov 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Calvin1509 yours looks like the best option by far for deleting after import to Lightroom. I'll definitely give it a try. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines