2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 19, 2011 11:28 AM by jjtaylor06

How to load content from the application directory?

jjtaylor06

I'm currently working on an AIR desktop application that will be distributed on OSX and Windows. The main applicaiton SWF will load a child swf that has been packaged. When I've attempted to load the child SWF via loader.load() with a URI of "app:\\TheChildContentSWF.swf", the load has failed with an IOError. If I force a copy of the the SWF (in OSX) to the MacOS directory where the executable resides, the child SWF would load. I was a little stumped by this so I decided to check what the nativePath of the application directory was via File.applicationDirectory.nativePath (it turned out to point at the Resources directory). Does the "app://" URI point to different paths when using Loader vs File?

If so, is there a way to package content so that it is installed in a directory that Loader can recognize without hitting security sandbox issues?

Visual of the OSX app directory structure (simplified)

MyApp.app\

Contents\

Frameworks\

MacOS\

executable

Resources\

TheAppSWF.swf

TheChildContentSWF.swf

... // other content

Thanks for any help!

Josh

• 1. Re: How to load content from the application directory?
          DonMitchinson Level 2

When loading application, move the swf to the applicationStorage folder if it doesn't exist already.

Something like ...

private var swfDistribute:File = File.applicationDirectory.resolvePath('ResourcesChildContentSWF.swf');
          private var swfLocal:File      = File.applicationStorageDirectory.resolvePath('TheChildContentSWF.swf');

private function onCreationComplete():void 
          {
             if (!swfLocal.exists) {
                if (swfDistribute.exists) {
                   swfDistribute.copyTo(swfLocal);
                }
             }
          }

Then you should be able to call your loader.load() URI with the variable (swfLocal)

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How to load content from the application directory?
            jjtaylor06 Level 1

I ended up resolving the path of the ChildContentSWF.swf in the application directory and checking the uri, e.g.

var childContent:File = File.applicationDirectory.resolvePath('ChildContentSWF.swf');

trace(childContent.uri);

This resulted in 'app://ChildContentSWF.swf' so I believe I was attempting to load via an incorrect URI format.