11 Replies Latest reply on Dec 15, 2011 5:23 PM by Peter Spier

Changing facing pages to single pages for output

lindy ritter

I am really hoping some one will be able to help me.

I have been working on a 96 page booklet in InDesign 5.5 using facing pages and master pages.

I have a definite left and right hand page set up in these master spreads.

For output, I need the PDF to be in single pages, but if save the PDF as single pages, the bleeds

along where the gutter would be don't appear.

To enable full bleed and trims on each page, I have tried to go back to single pages in the document set up.

When I do this, only the left hand master page is used throughout the document including graphics built into master spreads

(which should appear on opposite outer edges of pages as well as page numbers) they are all on the left now

as are the margin set ups.

Is there a way around this that does not involve resetting margins and masters to each individual page?

I would be grateful for any assistance to resolve this.

Kind regards,

Lindy.

• 1. Re: Changing facing pages to single pages for output
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Do NOT go to non-facing pages. It willonly make things worse.

How many pages actually need a bleed at the gutter? All, or just a few?  You do this by breaking the spread apart which you accomplich by turning off page shufling for that spread, then dragging the pages away from each other. That's fine for one or two, but if you need to do the whole file, use a script. You'll find complete directions, and the script buried in the comments, at InDesignSecrets » Blog Archive » Breaking Pages Apart to Bleed Off a Spine

• 2. Re: Changing facing pages to single pages for output
            lindy ritter Level 1

Thanks Peter,

tried script and got it to work,

though encountered another problem

and that was on some pages things moved from the margin,

whilst others were fine.

This is a bit scary.

Do you know a solution to this?

I used the Java script

SeparatePages.jsx

Is there a newer script that overides the movement problem.

I look forward to your response.

Kind regards,

Lindy

• 3. Re: Changing facing pages to single pages for output

Lindy,

Please remove your personal info from email responses. Everything is posted on the web.

Can you post a before/after screen shot? I haven't heard of the shift problem before. In my testing I do see objects that cross the spine remain on one page or the other, depending on which page has the larger piece. That would be normal. You can deal with that by copying these objects, then pasting in place on the opposite page. or by pasting in place before you split the spread and cropping one to the smaller area.

• 4. Re: Changing facing pages to single pages for output

been thinking more about this, and my last answer might not really be all that helpful, but I'm not actually sure at this point that you'd want to split the spread if there are objects that cross the spine. I would only split a pread, I think, when there are objectst that need to touch, but not cross, the spine and you want them to bleed. In other cases, adding an inside bleed to the document bleed settings should pick up the necessary additional area from the other side of the unbroken spread.

Any chance you could post a screen shot of a typical situation?

• 5. Re: Changing facing pages to single pages for output
                  lindy ritter Level 1

Hi Peter,

I hope this has removed my details.

I am reasonably new to Forums, so did not realise until too late that my

details appeared.

I have attached some screen shots of what is happening, including a screen

shot of the pages in there current double page spread format.

You will notice a curved graphics, logo and page no. at the outer edge of

each page in the spread and 10mm outer margin and 30mm gutter (15mm for

each page). Refer "Current spreads 10mm outer 15mm gutter.tiff"

What is happening:

1: Out of 96 pages, for some reason 4 double page spreads are not

separating. Refer "Not all pages separate.tiff"

They also appear to assume the left hand master page for both pages. Refer

"Unseparated pages are both RH pages.tiff"

2: The spreads that do separate, seem fine on left hand spread, but text

and pics have moved to the right 5mm

througout these right hand pages. Refer "Information RH page out of

margin.tiff"

Though I have been a designer for over 25 years, Indesign 5.5 is quite new

to me and so am learning as I go.

I am loving the experience, but do get stuck on a few details.

I am presume what is happening, is a result of my checking or not checking

the correct boxes some where along the line.

When I have run the 'separate pages script', I have unchecked the "Allow

document to shuffle" and "Allow selected spreads to shuffle".

I look forward to your response and am grateful for your assistance.

If worst comes to the worst, I can pull pages apart in Pages pallet

manually, but feel there must be a better way of achieving this.

I hope this is enough information. If you require any more information, do

not hesitate to contact myself.

Kind regards,

Lindy.

• 6. Re: Changing facing pages to single pages for output

Sorry, should maybe have been a little clearer about screen shots. You can't attach anything, even from the web page. You have to come back tothe web and use the camera icon to embed your images in a post like this:

CameraIcon.png

• 7. Re: Changing facing pages to single pages for output
                      lindy ritter Level 1

Hi Peter,

I have embedded screen shots and blanked out logo for your perusal.

You are right, I probably only have to separate a few pages where images bleed into the gutter.

I do have full bleed around the individual pages in the document set up, but when saved as a PDF in single pages,

the bleed encroches on the wrong page. So I can get around this problem in this file, by simply hand separating the afftected pages.

Information RH page out of margin.jpgNot all pages separate.jpg

Unseparated pages are both RH pages.jpg

But I would just like to know how to do this anyway, as though this particular document does not bleed throughtout, I may come accross this in the future.

I hope I am not wasting your time, as getting to this stage via this forum has given me the knowledge of how to get around the problem for now.

Thank you again for your assistance.

I hope the images refered to in the previous email clearly show my concerns.

Kind regards,

Lindy.

• 8. Re: Changing facing pages to single pages for output

I can't tell what's causing the shift. Are you patched to 7.5.2?

Tell us more about the spreads that didn't split. Were there three-page island spreads at some time? Could you possibly have re-enabled shuffling for these spreads and answered yes when asked about keepinghte page count?

• 9. Re: Changing facing pages to single pages for output

Also, I don't see anything in the example pages that has anything on the inside edge that bleeds, so I'm wondering where the need to split the spreads come from? Is the probelm that when you export to PDF you are gtiing spreads instead of individual pages? If that's the case, I would guess you are exporting to Interactive PDF rather than Print. There are two types of PDF in the dropdown in CS5/5.5 and the default is PDF(Interactive), so you need to change it in the dialog.

• 10. Re: Changing facing pages to single pages for output
                            lindy ritter Level 1

Sorry I didn't see the email below.

There is only a couple of pages at the beginning of the document that

require bleed.

I am exporting as a press optimised PDF in single pages and the few pages

that need the bleed have the bleed on their facing page, rather than the

page it is supposed to be on.

I have been working with PDF's for years and can fix this by replacing the

pages in the PDF, but feel you shouldn't have to do this.

As mentioned, I can work around everything that is failing, for the output

of this job, but feel the program should be able to do these tasks that are

often required for print output. I would like to think a solution can be

found as future jobs may not be so easily to fix, especially if they have

bleeds thoughout.

I look forwards to your response.

Kind regards,

Lindy.

• 11. Re: Changing facing pages to single pages for output

Can you post a shot of one of theose spreads for me? If I can see waht the spread looks like I can give better advice about how to handle it.