6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 14, 2011 10:48 PM by shooternz

Creat a new sequence from IN & OUT points on timeline

77mrd Level 1

I have a timeline with 6 hours of footage from an event. I want to be able to  go into that timeline and, say, pick out a section of 30 minutes and copy it into a new sequence. Is there a way I can mark the in and out points on the timeline, and then copy whatever lies on the timeline into a new sequence?

Hope this makes sense!

Thanks,

MrD

• 1. Re: Creat a new sequence from IN & OUT points on timeline
          Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You can mark the timeline with in and out and use that as a reference to copy.

• 2. Re: Creat a new sequence from IN & OUT points on timeline
            Jim_Simon Level 8

Open the 6 hour sequence in the Source Monitor.  You can then set In/Out points as desired and add to a new sequence as you would any other clip.

• 3. Re: Creat a new sequence from IN & OUT points on timeline
              77mrd Level 1

Yeah, Jim, that should work. The only issue I have with that, is I can't see the clips on the timeline as a visual of the in and out points.

If I set the in and out points first and then open in source monitor, can I create new sequence from it like that?

And lastly, I'm wondering if that will just nest the current timeline, or copy the clips to new timeline to edit in itself and not change the original timeline. The reason for this is because I want to leave the 6 hour timeline in tact, like a pool of clips I can draw from. It is a visual representation of the 6 hours shoot I can pull footage from into different timelines and not affect the originals.

I did find a way to do this, basically I razor cut it from the in and out points I want, and then copy all the clips into a new sequence, but then I have to have razor cuts all around my original timeline. Not the most ideal, but will do for now, if there is no other work-around.

Thanks,

MrD

• 4. Re: Creat a new sequence from IN & OUT points on timeline
                Stephen_Spider Level 3

The source monitor is basically a timeline, so what is the advantage of browsing the clip in the Timeline window? After dropping your 6 hour source sequence into the source monitor, you should be able to view all of your six hours and select in and out points for new sequences. This won't change the original six hour sequence.

And as Ann said, if you add timeline markers to the 6 hour sequence, you will see them as clip markers when you drop the sequence into the source monitor.

• 5. Re: Creat a new sequence from IN & OUT points on timeline
                  77mrd Level 1

The advantage of browsing in timeline window is that I have visual representation of the clips. However, I think as you just said, I can just make markers or I can just copy and paste the timecodes and use that for in and out points!

On my way to do some of it now

Thanks guy!

• 6. Re: Creat a new sequence from IN & OUT points on timeline
                    shooternz Level 6

Not sure why you need to use the Razor  for this.

Just  Select the  section of the timeline you want to create a new sequence from and then Cut and Paste...to the new one.

Alternatively... duplicate the sequence and then delete what you dont want in it.

Tip : You can select multiple clips by lassoing them all and that is key to this..