3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 14, 2011 4:34 AM by nealeh

"Sort by" options in media pane

mfowler80

Unless I've missed it, in Premiere Elements 10 there's no longer an option to sort media by oldest or newest.  Instead there's a "Sort by" button with options to sort by duration or name.  Why not also have the option to sort by oldest or newest?  I edit lots of videos that will have about 150 clips imported from DV tape using the get media option in Pe10.  This method names the files in the format "name_xx" where "xx"  increments to 99 then starts with 3 digits.  When the only options are to sort by name or duration it's not possible to list the files in the correct order which makes grabbing the clips in order much more difficult.  How about a patch to put this back?

On a related subject - I also miss the option to filter by tag from the media pane although it's possible to do the same thing with Organizer.

• 1. Re: "Sort by" options in media pane
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

These would be good things to submit as feature requests to Adobe. Have you done that yet?

• 2. Re: "Sort by" options in media pane
            nealeh Level 5

Did it work in previous versions ? I don't recall seeing it in PRE7 or PRE9.

There is an older discussion in these forums about PRE changing the date/time stamp on files. The difficulty is that there is no META data in video clips, unlike stills where there is tons of stuff. So the only date available is the standard date/time feature of Windows. And these Date/Time stamps change as the file is accessed.

Now sometimes the software provided by the camcorder manufacturer does show shot date/time. I think they do this by creating a separate datafile recording the date/time stamp on the clip as it is imported from the camera, and so is always available within that software, but unavailable when viewed in other software.

As Steve says - raise a feature request. I did some months back and hope that we see it in a future PRE release. Note that in the feature request dropdown it is under 'Adobe Premiere Elements', unlike Photoshop Elements (where it is shown as 'Photoshop Elements').

Cheers,
            --
            Neale
            Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 3. Re: "Sort by" options in media pane
              nealeh Level 5

As a workaround there are many fine utilities available to batch rename large numbers of files. Some of these are quite sophisticated so you can move your _XX at the end of the name to become XX_ at the start of the name and/or imbed the timestamps in the file name. These utilities usually allow you to preview what the rename will look like before you commit it.

Here's a link to the file renaming section of my favourite safe freeware site: Nonags Free File Renaming Tools. The first one on the list should do the trick for you.

Completely free although registration allows you to download directly from the Nonags servers and other benefits. Details here: http://www.nonags.com/nplus.asp

Cheers,
              --
              Neale
              Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children