4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 14, 2011 10:04 PM by MrsC60

Export to epub discards styles

MrsC60

I am trying to create an ebook using Export to ePub.  While it works reasonably well, there are a few frustrating issues:

1.  Page numbers appear over my text.

2.  Line spacing is discarded.  Regardless of whether I use extra line returns (and do not select to discard when exporting) or use a style with extra space above and below the type, the space is discarded when in the ePub files.

3.  Text that I centered is not centred.  (I centered by using a style.)

4.  The finished file displays as very large pages and in a 3-page spread. I can't figure out why or how to fix.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

• 1. Re: Export to epub discards styles
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

We need more details.

What version of InDesign? How are you viewing the Epub?

1. Sounds like you're viewing Adobe Digital Editions which is pretty much the worst choice you can make.

For 2-4 I need more info and I also need you to be aware that even with CS5.5 the likelihood of getting a useable EPUB without diving in and editing the HTML and CSS is very slim.

I'll give you the standard advise:

1. Buy Liz Castro's Epub Straight to the Point: http://amzn.to/v1ox3J

2. Watch some of Anne-Marie Concepcion's courses on Lynda.com. This link will get you a free one week trial: http://bit.ly/fcGpiI

Bob

• 2. Re: Export to epub discards styles
            MrsC60 Level 1

Thanks for your reply Bob. I am using InDesign CS5.5 and yes, viewing in Adobe Digital Editions, as it is supplied with InDesign. I guessed I would have to edit the HTML and CSS and did so with some success. I was able to fix the page width so page numbers didn't overlap and to insert the missing spaces between lines, and even replace the drop cap that screwed up on export.  I couldn't find a way to insert author (which shows as Unknown) or to change the permissions, and while editing the CSS worked, I was kind of hoping someone would tell me it was unnecessary as ít's time consuming.

I'll look the references you mentioned. Thanks

• 3. Re: Export to epub discards styles
              BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

I recommend viewing your EPUB in iBooks. There is no substitute for viewing on the target device.

If you’re going to use ADE, at least check out the newest preview version: http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/digitaleditions1-8/

Bob

• 4. Re: Export to epub discards styles
                MrsC60 Level 1

Hmmm!  Thanks Bob. I downloaded the latest edition. The book looked okay in the old version, but it is a complete mess in the new. Not even readable.  I'll have to look into iBooks I guess. Is there an emulator for Windows PCs?  I'll investigate.