11 Replies Latest reply on Jan 2, 2012 4:08 PM by Glitchdog

Scratch disks are write protected or unavailable?

Glitchdog Level 1

I've searched this all over and have not found a clear answer. In PP 5.5 on Snow Leopard I've been doing some tests with a firewire 800 drive. All has been fine. Then today I switched to another drive, set the scratch disks, etc to new drive and it gives me the scratch disk write protected... error. Just for kicks, if I select a current project that is on the original drive I started with it gives me the same error. I do have admin priv. and external drive is set to "ignore ownership on this volume". Any thoughts?

• 1. Re: Scratch disks are write protected or unavailable?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Then today I switched to another drive, set the scratch disks, etc to new drive and it gives me the scratch disk write protected...

My guesses:

New HDD is write-protected

Permissions for that HDD to not allow you to write data

The new HDD is networked, and is not being seen by the OS properly

Not being a Mac person, I do not fully understand the ins & outs of HDD management on the Mac OS, but those are the areas that I would rule out first.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Scratch disks are write protected or unavailable?
            Glitchdog Level 1

Thanks Bill,

I had read another post where you had a similar comment. Thanks for taking the time to post here too. It seems other users, even on PCs, have had this issue.

The different firewire drive that PP doesn't want to work with reads/writes fine with other software. I can drag/drop footage...any files. Permissions are completely open and it is not on a network. It was directly connected via firewire 800 to my laptop. I have full admin rights. Funny thing too, its' the exact same drive enclosure as the other drive I was using that worked fine.

This is a test drive that I used when we were evalutating FCPX and I had just been using it with that software on another brief test before I closed FCPX and opened PP. I did log out and back in just in case there was some leftover strangeness.

What I'm wondering is if there is some bug in PP where it's used to connecting to one particular drive and a sudden switch and boom, error message.

• 3. Re: Scratch disks are write protected or unavailable?
              davidbeisner2010 Level 3

I just completed a full reinstall of my OS and Programs drive, and when I started up PrPro CS5.5.2 just now I got the same message (both on opening an old project, and on creating a new one). HOWEVER, after loading the project and going into the settings, I discovered that it was still referencing the correct location for my scratch disks, and hadn't actually changed it to use My Documents as it had said... strange.

FYI, I'm on a PC...

• 4. Re: Scratch disks are write protected or unavailable?
                Glitchdog Level 1

Anyone, please try this test on any/all for your other drives. Make sure you are in an admin account and the drive is not write protected, on a network, etc. I'm on a Mac, but I think this is a BIG Premiere Pro bug, Can anyone verify? I could greatly apprecaite it!! And others will benefit if there is a workaround for now.

Here's the test. Unmount/turn off the main drive/RAID that you are using with Premiere Pro. Plug in another drive. I chose an archival firewire drive. (Not the one I was using yesterday). Open PP (I;m using 5.5.2 on Snow Leopard) and choose to create a new project in the opening window. Set all your scratch drive to the new drive. I bet you get an error that the drive is either write protected or unavailable. I'm still hoping this is my user error, but I don't think so.

Also, ADOBE staff, are you out there? Thoughts from anyone please.

Now, if you try the same exact test and you keep your main drive turned on, you'll have no problem creating a new project. Wow, we are setting up a mobile system and this is a big concern. I won't be able to do that in the field. Adding to that, I'm totally confused. I just turned off my test drive and tried again to create a new project w/scratch disks on my main PP RAID drive and I'm getting the same message.Scratch disk error.jpg

• 5. Re: Scratch disks are write protected or unavailable?
                  Glitchdog Level 1

Hey David,

I'm sorry to read this. I was in the middle of posting when I saw your post. I'm afraid I'm pretty brain dead when it comes to PCs. I used to know my way around back in the Windows 98 and before days. It would be nice to find out a good resolution for all of us.

BTW, most of the posts i read last night here and on Creative Cow were related to PC users have similar issues.

• 6. Re: Scratch disks are write protected or unavailable?
                    davidbeisner2010 Level 3

can you go back into your project and see if it actually did reset your scratch disks, or if it just threw the message?

Cause I know for a fact that my disk is not write protected, it has full permissions, and I am an admin account... PCs are significantly different than Macs, and (AFAIK) it's easier to figure this stuff out on PCs... Unfortunately PC users cannot simply "unmount" drives as you can on a Mac, either... either it's there or it's not, and the only way to take them out is to unplug them... something that I would venture to say most users of computers with internal drives are not willing to do, so us PC folks can't test what you're asking.

• 7. Re: Scratch disks are write protected or unavailable?
                      Glitchdog Level 1

I just found one work around.   This is definately a bug.

1. I can switch drives and create a new project (no error messages) as long as the previous drive I have just used with PP is also turned on/connected to the Mac.

2. I cannot even open a current project on my main drive if I have switched drives and the secondary drive is turned off.

Note that I have tried this on two different Macs w/four different drives ALL playing fine with other programs, not networked, admin rights, etc, etc, etc.

I"m going to submit a bug report if I can find the link.

BUT, I'd be keen to see a post from ADOBE here. This cannot be something that is not already known by Adobe based on earlier posts I have seen.

• 8. Re: Scratch disks are write protected or unavailable?
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Adobe Bug Report.

Good luck, and thanks for stepping in. At least David knows more about Mac's, than I do.

Hunt

• 9. Re: Scratch disks are write protected or unavailable?
                          Glitchdog Level 1

Thanks David, thanks Bill! Just submitted the bug report.

Regarding going back into a project. At one point in the tests I couldn't even get into any project after I had turned off/unmounted my test drive.

All the best guys!

• 10. Re: Scratch disks are write protected or unavailable?
                            socalboarder

I had a similar problem whith my MacBook Pro. I had just got a new MBP and merged the info g=from the old MBP to the new one. Then I installed my Adobe products, and when I ran Premiere Pro 5.5, it gave me the same message. I had to make sure I had read and write privileges on the drive, and then apply the settings to the enclosed items. This can be done by clicking on the gear wheel at the bottom of the sharing and permissions section and then clicking on "Aplly to enclosed items...". After that, everything worked as its supposed to. Hope this helps.

• 11. Re: Scratch disks are write protected or unavailable?
                              Glitchdog Level 1

I did try that but it didn't work for me. All permissions were fine anyway, did it just in case. It seems to relate more to the last drive being used by PP as mentioned above. Thanks!