4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 14, 2011 3:11 AM by Eugene Tyson

Scale Objects to also scale Effects?

Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Have an object that is on a print page - but I'm resizing objects for the web - at different sizes.

When I scale the image it inherently doesn't scale the effects. I already know why it doesn't do it.

But I'd like to be able to scale objects that have effects so that all the Effects also scale by that percentage.

Example

Untitled-1.jpgUntitled-2.jpg

Any way to script a Scaling so that if I insert a percentage all the effects also Scale by that much?

• 1. Re: Scale Objects to also scale Effects?
          Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hello, Eugene!
          Not exactly what you want (scale the effect while doing the scaling), but you could do a scaling of the effect afterwards with the following script by Gerald Singelmann:

http://www.indesign-faq.de/files/2008/02/scaleEffects_jsx.zip

Select the scaled object, run the script, a dialog will pop up and you can apply a scaling percentage to the effects.

It's in german, so:

"Effekte skalieren" means: "Scale effects"

"Waagerecht:" means: "Horizontal:"
          "Senkrecht:" means: "Vertical:"

You could edit the script accordingly…

Uwe

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Scale Objects to also scale Effects?
            [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

I suppose it's remotely possible to go over all of the parameters of Shadow, Glow, and Bevel & Emboss (etc. etc.etc.) and change everything metric by a same percentage; but I seriously doubt that's guaranteed to give the same overall effect-at-any-size.

For this case, I'd probably copy to a new document and save as PDF, to make it a real scaleable imported image, rather than a bunch of live effects. (Oh I s'pose you could also save as a separate INDD and place that.)

• 3. Re: Scale Objects to also scale Effects?
              [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

Tip o'the hat to Gerald

Seems he got them all: satinSettings, bevelAndEmbossSettings, outerGlowSettings, innerGlowSettings, featherSettings, directionalFeatherSettings, innerShadowSettings, dropShadowSettings, and that for each of object, fill, stroke, and content.

I'd still rather make it a separate image in your case.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Scale Objects to also scale Effects?
                Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Yes it's not really working how I imagined it.

Photoshop seems to scale effects no problem - so I'm thinking there must be an algorithim for that... but I don't know I'm just guessing.

I think I'll have to go with seperate images and files. Which is a lot more work than I wanted to do.

Thanks for trying though.