6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 14, 2011 9:06 AM by davidbeisner2010

Mixed Audio Problem and Dark Video

Pturano Level 1

Hello Everyone,

I have a question regarding how to isolate the the channels of audio recorded in my Canon. I have the camera mic to record nat sound on channel 1, a stick mic into channel 2. When I bring in the clip from the hard drive I recorded to, the clip comes in in mixed. In other editing software I have used, it would come in with a video clip, and 2 audio clips, 1 for each channel. When I turn the balance I can iso the stick mic, but it will only play on the right channel.

I guess what I am asking is how can I get what I recorded from the stick mic on channel 2 to play on both channels? I am sorry if this doesn't make sense, but I am still refreshing my Premiere skills.

Also, I have noticed that the footage I have recorded in some test shoots is coming in much darker than what I am seeing in the viewfinder of my camera. Any thoughts on that?

Thank you.

• 1. Re: Mixed Audio Problem and Dark Video
          joe bloe premiere Level 5
          ...how can I get what I recorded from the stick mic on channel 2 to play on both channels?

Fill Left effect, Fill Right effect

Effects>Audio Effects>Stereo>Fill Left / Fill Right

• 2. Re: Mixed Audio Problem and Dark Video
            davidbeisner2010 Level 3

The above will work well, but I prefer to take set the clips to import two mono tracks... that way you can mix the two as you prefer. Using the fill left/fill right command will simply do a replace, and if you decided later you wanted some of the sound from the other channel, you are out of luck.

BEFORE you place the clips on the timeline, right click on the clip in your bin and select "Modify > Audio Channels" and then select "Mono." That will bring your footage in with each channel broken out to its own mono track.

In regards to your darker video clips, I'm not sure... All screens will show stuff differently, and it could be that your camera monitor's brightness is turned up too high. Also, FWIW, having under-exposed footage (too dark) is always better than over-exposed, as you can always bring up the brightness, but if you're clipped, you can never recover the lost information.

• 3. Re: Mixed Audio Problem and Dark Video
              Jim_Simon Level 8

coming in much darker than what I am seeing in the viewfinder of my camera. Any thoughts on that?

Chances are your viewfinder's brightness is set too high.  That's why zebras and a waveform monitor are such useful tools when setting exposure.

• 4. Re: Mixed Audio Problem and Dark Video
                Pturano Level 1

Hey Jim,

The viewfinder settings were ok. I wish we had the money for a waveform monitor when shooting. I work at a community college and money is tight. Zebras looked good too. I used them for this experiemnt, but normally hate shooting with them. Is there a waveform/vectorscope in Premiere? I have been cutting on DPS Velocity for the past 2 years and there is a built in waveform and vectorscope. Thanks everyone!

• 5. Re: Mixed Audio Problem and Dark Video
                  Jim_Simon Level 8

OnLocation has a waveform/vectorscope built in.  (So does PP, but you can't use it during capture.)

Cameras are also now starting to come with waveforms in the LCD.

• 6. Re: Mixed Audio Problem and Dark Video
                    davidbeisner2010 Level 3

Sure is... on your program monitor you can click on the little tri-colored wheel thing (top right icon in the control panel... right next to the safe guides) and select what kind of monitor you want to look at. Or, you can go to "Window> Workspace > Color Correction" and you'll get the reference monitor brought up at the bottom, where you can then change the reference monitor to use any one of the scopes you want, and that way you can see both scopes and your program monitor. I personally prefer the later...