4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 14, 2011 7:51 AM by the_wine_snob

PE8: How to export as mp4 with xvid codec?

the.brandy

I want to exort a clip in mp4 format and use the xvid codec.

In the export options i can choose "ipod/iphone" to get the mp4 format. but I can't change the codec. I'm sure, the codec is installed on my computer.

See Screenshots:

basic_options.jpg

video_options.jpg

Thx for help.

• 1. Re: PE8: How to export as mp4 with xvid codec?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Why not export the MP4 as an H.264 MP4? That's the codec that built the MP4.

If you want to output Divx or Xvid, you'll find options under the Advanced button under Share/Computer/AVI.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: PE8: How to export as mp4 with xvid codec?
            the.brandy Level 1

Hi Steve,

thx for your answer. Unfortunally my digital photo frame wants xvid.

I exported the clip, but the frame is still unable to play it. I think, I have to try other options...

• 3. Re: PE8: How to export as mp4 with xvid codec?
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

As I said above, you can export Xvid in the Advanced options for an AVI.

• 4. Re: PE8: How to export as mp4 with xvid codec?
                the_wine_snob Level 9

I have never been able to get any Adobe program to Export/Share to Xvid. I always get crashes. Now, DivX is another matter. It is the commercial version of Xvid, which is the open source version. They should be almost 100% identical, but there appears to be a difference, at least where Adobe software is involved. I can also use my DivX Encoding program, which is commercially available, with excellent results. In my case, I use the AVI wrapper, and DivX works fine.

Now, wrappers aside, I am not sure if photoframe will handle DivX (though by all accounts, it should), but as Adobe programs crash on me, with Xvid, there are obviously some differences.

Does the photoframe accept AVI as a wrapper?

The DivX CODEC is free, and only the Pro Encoder app. costs money, about US$ 39, IIRC. I would try with DivX, and see if the photoframe will decode that.

Good luck,

Hunt

[Edit] Am I correct that you already have the Xvid CODEC downloaded and installed? If so, and as Steve says, it should appear in the Advanced Tab, but possibly only for AVI. If you get a crash, as I do, download and install just the DivX CODEC, and try that.