3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 14, 2011 7:54 AM by djanke

Premeire CS5 on HP EliteBook 8460w

djanke

Would it run on machine with these specs.  I have installed the trail, which runs, but I am new to this and not sure what would or would not work. I do have a spare Gtech drive I can use via esata.

2nd Generation Intel® Core™ i7-2620M Processor, 2.70GHz (Turbo up

to 3.40GHz), 1333 MHz, 4MB L3 Cache

Intel Core i7 vPro Label

Mobile Intel QM67 chipset

Estar Label - if anyWindows OS is selected, then label is required.

Intel® vProTM Technology Enabled (IF MSOS is selected MUST

select vPro processor label)

14.0-inch diagonal LED-backlit HD+ anti-glare (1600 x 900) with

Camera

Integrated 720p HD Webcam

AMD FirePro™ M3900 w/1 GB gDDR3

4 GB 1333 MHz DDR2 SDRAM (1D)

160 GB Solid State Drive (SSD)

• 1. Re: Premeire CS5 on HP EliteBook 8460w
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Yes, it runs. Sorry, let me rephrase that, it crawls like a snail that brakes before cornering.

Not enough memory, wrong video card, no second internal SATA 7200 disk, small display, a crippled G-Tech connection over eSATA, at least for G-Tech raids, etc.

• 2. Re: Premeire CS5 on HP EliteBook 8460w
            RjL190365 Level 4

I'm sorry to say this, but it would run even slower than an i3-2100 desktop with an equal amount of system RAM and integrated Intel HD Graphics 2000. Here are the reasons why:

1) That laptop is using only one stick of memory. As such, the memory controller is running only in single-channel. In addition, it has only 4GB total of RAM (but I think you misstated that it uses DDR2 memory when that RAM really is DDR3; none of the modern systems use DDR2 RAM any more).

2) The laptop is not equipped with an Nvidia GPU at all - and the GPU cannot be upgraded whatsoever. Thus, CS5.x will run only in MPE software-only mode, which can be as much as 10 to 20 times slower than the MPE GPU accelerated mode in renders. (And yes, in CS5.5, the slower timeline renders will also affect encoding performance somewhat.)

3) That laptop cannot accommodate multiple internal fast hard drives. Plus, since your Gtech drive is an external RAID, its RAID performance is limited by the single eSATA port that it's connected to, making it suitable only for aid0 arrays with no more than two disks. A RAID array with more than two disks will be bottlenecked by that single eSATA connection.

• 3. Re: Premeire CS5 on HP EliteBook 8460w
              djanke Level 1

Thank you for the responses.