5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 14, 2011 10:41 AM by Rick Gerard

Frame Blending Problems in AE 5.5

ColoLeff

I'm very new to Adobe Premiere and After Effects.  Just made the switch from FCP to Premiere because the newer Macs don't support FCP anymore.

In AE, whenever I do anything that I use frame blending and/or pixel motion, I get, for lack of a better term, "ghosting" and strange distortions in the back ground or on the edges of the subject.  For example, I have a shot of several roller skates going by, when I do a time-remap to slow down part of the clip, some of the skates get a ghost image trailing them.  Not like a little on the edge but like a faded full extra skate.  Plus the background kind of distorts like looking through water.

I've spend days looking online for help and have even talked to Adobe and an Adobe ambassador here in town.  Anyone else having issues like this.  The things I'm doing, I've done dozens of times using Motion in FCP with no problems.

Here is an example:

http://vimeo.com/33057661

It's password protected. Password is stillslow

Software:

Adobe Production Suite 5.5 for Mac

Hardware:

MacBook Pro Dual Quad 2.2Ghz Intel Core i7

8GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6750M

Intel HD Graphics 3000

750GB Serial ATA 7200rpm Drive

High-Res Glossy Wide-Screen Display

Thanks for any imput

• 1. Re: Frame Blending Problems in AE 5.5
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Well, by how much do you slow down? There are limits to even the smartest algorithms. That aside, based on the patterns showing a certain regularity in their timing I get the impression that something is not right with your footage interpretation, which would affect the result if frames are skipped...

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Frame Blending Problems in AE 5.5
            Dave LaRonde Level 6

The IT guys refuse to update my version of Flash, so I can't see the video.  How did you do this stuff previouslyin FCP?

You might give a combination of Time Remapping and Timewarp a shot:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/aftereffects/cs/using/WS641C5190-1DAD-4150-B17F-F339C6DF1FB2a. html

There are a ton of controls in Timewarp, plus downloadable instructions, implying it takes a while to tweak it.

Ramping speeds isn't the easiest thing in the world to pull off in the first place.

• 3. Re: Frame Blending Problems in AE 5.5
              ColoLeff Level 1

Exporting the clip to Motion and then using the time-remapping function within Motion.  I'm only slowing things down a little bit.  After I rendered from Motion I would export the clip separately and then re-import it to FCP as a separate clip then replace it on the timeline.

Mark Leffingwell

Photographer

Camera, Boulder, Co

markleffingwell.com

dailycamera.com

• 4. Re: Frame Blending Problems in AE 5.5
                ColoLeff Level 1

It's not much of a slow down.  It's an effect using a series of stills to emulate motion.  I export the 12 or 13 frame shot while moving around the subject in Photoshop as a sequence to a folder.  Then import the sequence in to Motion, slow it down a bit by time remapping and frame blending and have a nice motion portrait. I don't have my previous computer anymore because I updated all my gear.  Trying to recreate the effect has been frustrating.  Also building a ramp to slow down part of sequence a little does the same weird ghosting and warping.

Mark Leffingwell

Photographer

Camera, Boulder, Co

markleffingwell.com

dailycamera.com

• 5. Re: Frame Blending Problems in AE 5.5
                  Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I export the 12 or 13 frame shot while moving around the subject in Photoshop as a sequence to a folder. 

12 frames to 10 seconds, that's slowing down a bunch. That's the root of your problem. The other problem is that there appear to be a big difference between the frames and the frames are very blurred. Without detail in the frame it's very hard for the software to calculate the difference between frames and come up with a good blend.