4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 14, 2011 10:37 PM by John Hawkinson

Exporting PDF's out of InDesign CS5.5?

NewsAdmin

I have a bunch of users in my newsroom that are having various different issues (yes we have 3rd party extensions and no we can't disable them and put out a paper that way...kind of between a rock and a hard place there!).  One of the issues is exporting pages out as PDF's.  It's crashing fairly regularly. 

It appears to me that there are 3 different ways to put out a PDF for printing (systems admin for a newspaper).  Is there a right and a wrong way to get a PDF out of InDesign?  Perhaps a less likely to crash option?  As of my count there's 3 different ways that a PDF can be created from InDesign:

File - > Adobe PDF Presets

File -> Export

File -> Print

The computers they are running are Windows XP (all updates applied), 4 Gigs of RAM, Dual monitors set vertical (read something that this might be an issue?), Quad Core systems. 

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Exporting PDF's out of InDesign CS5.5?
          John Hawkinson Level 5

What's the exact version of CS5.5? 7.5.0? 7.5.1?

There have been some known issues with PDF export.

You should be able to isolate the problem by saving your INDD file before PDF export time and re-opening without plugins. Think of it it as a diagnostic, not as a cumbersome workarond. THat will help clear your 3rd party extensions.

There is definitely a right and a wrong. File > Adobe PDF Presets and File > Export do exactly the same thing, one is just one step faster.

Using File > Print is strongly disrecommended by Adobe and others, because it ignores InDesign's PDF export capabilities. On the other hand, it might avoid some bugs, but at the risk of producing a far less "good" PDF file.

Since you're running XP, you should be looking at the stack traces from your crashes.

Check out http://indesignsecrets.com/guide-to-interpreting-indesign-crash-reports.php for instructions.

Post a stack trace here, or an entire crash log to http://pastebin.com/ and we'll take a look at it for you.

• 2. Re: Exporting PDF's out of InDesign CS5.5?
            NewsAdmin Level 1

John,

Thank you for your quick reply.  I had not thought of what you mention about the pages.  I'll look and see what the logistics of that are and see if we can give it a try. 

As for what your looking for here you go.

InDesign version: 7.5.2

Stack Trace: http://pastebin.com/T8LRNDDv

Looking at that trace there is something about Symbols...which to mean is something to do with Word (which we do have "hooks" for on our 3rd party Extension).

Thanks again,

• 3. Re: Exporting PDF's out of InDesign CS5.5?
              [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

(A 'symbol' is what programmers call any given name to a function or other interesting address. These messages only serve to let you know the stack dump could not find a valid name for the names of the functions in this dump, they have n't to do with Symbol-the-font or anything else in your document.)

(Just ta let you know. John probably Eats Symbols at Lunch.)

• 4. Re: Exporting PDF's out of InDesign CS5.5?
                John Hawkinson Level 5

Stack Trace: http://pastebin.com/T8LRNDDv

Sorry for the delay. As Jongware suggests, the messages about symbols are normal and not indicative of a problem. I try to eat symbols for breakfast but not for lunch, if that's OK. Your first frame:

*----> Stack Back Trace <----*

WARNING: Stack unwind information not available. Following frames may be wrong.

ChildEBP RetAddr  Args to Child             

0012f6fc 065a1c70 63ccb5e0 00000000 0012f74c APPFRAMEWORK+0x67777

0012f788 065a1fb6 0012f830 0012f800 0012f810 APPFRAMEWORK+0x71c70

00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 APPFRAMEWORK+0x71fb6

Is not encouraging. It doesn't look anything like PDF Export, and it also appears to be rather incomplete.

Was this crash, from 8:26pm on Monday, truly in pdf export?

7.5.2 is certainly the version to be on. Do you know if your problems occurr with CS5?

Which of the 3 (well, 2) methods of obtaining a PDF produce the crashes?

Have you taken special steps to disable background (async) PDF exports?