6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 15, 2011 8:28 AM by the_wine_snob

Pre downsizing jpg's and other speed considerations

Wesley1240

I am running PE8 on an old XP box and find it slow but would like to find ways to speed it up before I buy the next box.

I have 3GB ram, system is on C:, files are usually on E:, both HD. For my last project, I resized the jpgs to another directory with max size of 1600. My thinking was that PE had to downsize anyway and it made things go MUCH faster. When displayed, I didn't see any degradation of the image.  The original were around 4k wide from Nikon D90 raw to jpg.  Does it hurt do have source pics on a USB drive or should I have then on E:  Any comments on best file location and resizing would be great.

• 1. Re: Pre downsizing jpg's and other speed considerations
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You must be reading our forum, Wesley! You're doing everything we would recommend!

As long as you're happy with the performance you're getting working off your external drive, there is no reason not to use it.

I work off a second internal SATA drive on my PC and off an USB 2.0 drive on my Mac.

• 2. Re: Pre downsizing jpg's and other speed considerations
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Personally, I often locate my media on a separate physical HDD, for performance, but with two considerations: migrating Projects between computers, and then final housekeeping, when I am finished. In this first instance, my OS and programs are on C:\. My Projects are on D:\ and my Virtual Memory file on E:\, along with possibly my media files. All are internal SATA II's.

When I am dealing with my original Still Images, I keep those on a NAS in RAID 1. I always ONLY work from Copies of those. I may place those Copies onto E:\, but if I plan on migrating the Project to another computer, I will use one of my FW-800 externals, for the Project, the media (only Copies, except for Captuer from miniDV tapes) and my Scratch Disks. This then allows me to fully migrate the Project w/ everything needed, and also helps when they are done, with cleanup. If using externals, one big tip - set the drive letter in the OS, of every computer to the same one.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Pre downsizing jpg's and other speed considerations
              Tom Cat 1953

Bill: Thanks for the information on work flow. I have usb 3 card, usb 3 card reader, and usb 3 external drive and they go as fast as the road runner!!  Your suggestion says to me to work off the external drive usb 3, and my work will go faster.  Should I also use it for scratch disks and any virtual memory.  Also have been useing ready boost in win 7 with my usb 3 card reader and a high speed SD card. Helps from running out of memory.  I have 8gb of memory, and still the programs close out, when useing photoshop CS5, Premier Elements and Bridge all at the same time.

• 4. Re: Pre downsizing jpg's and other speed considerations
                the_wine_snob Level 9

If you do NOT need to migrate Projects between computers, then the ultimate performance will be gained by separating the I/O load over many HDD's. The more that you can separate the I/O load, the faster it can go.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Pre downsizing jpg's and other speed considerations
                  Wesley1240 Level 1

I have just been using these cheap 1TB drives for the originals and putting them in safety deposit from time to time or when I am on trips.  Some of my friends just keep buying more SD cards and never delete them. Is that safe for the long term?  No one answered about my resizing stills and if it changes the final movie? Look ok to me, but then I am an old retired guy.

• 6. Re: Pre downsizing jpg's and other speed considerations
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

I do not recall seeing any long-term studies on the longivity of SD media, but there are probably several on the Internet.

Recently, a power-user posted some sad stories on using BD for archival uses with video files. Considering how new (relatively) BD's were, I was surprised that he encountered problems so soon. I still have CD's w/ images and video, that play as well today, as they did, when created many, many years ago.

Good luck,

Hunt