3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 27, 2011 3:14 PM by Mcshifty

Dreamweaver or CMS?

EasyEdE Level 1

I apologize in advance if I'm in the wrong forum but I didn't know where else to go. The question is either philosophical or political - I'm not sure which!

I took over the updating of a website for a small charity. It was built with tables nested in tables nested in tables - thee levels in some places. It was a nightmare to edit so I didn't try to fix it but started from a blank page and rebuilt it using CSS and floating elements. Nobody liked the aesthetic changes so I changed it so it looked exactly like the original. Then I was advised they wanted to use CMS so "anybody" could edit content ;-(. Then they wanted each page length to be the same so the user wouldn't have to scroll. Then they wanted it to function on a mobile device which I think eliminates the use of dropdown menus and other limitations perhaps. I feel a page length should be dictated by content and if you want it to work on an iPhone build a separate layout for mobile use - don't cripple the main site for the sake of the mobile users.

Am I correct in that all CMS uses tables and therefore their desire to stay with tables?

Am I also correct that the use of tables to design sites is going (gone?) out of use?

From my point of view the tables add a ton of excess HTML. OTOH we hope to replicate the site to use in other countries with each site's content changed to suit the local language. My feeling is that using DM and CSS the site can be built so that modifications can be readily made by a relative novice using an HTML editor. I'm am a novice myself so maybe I'm overlooking important issues.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Ed

• 1. Re: Dreamweaver or CMS?
          MurraySummers Level 8

Am I correct in that all CMS uses tables and therefore their desire to stay with tables?

No, definitely not.  In fact I would guess that NO CMS uses tables any longer.

Am I also correct that the use of tables to design sites is going (gone?) out of use?

Yes - you got that one.  Tables are so 90's.

OTOH we hope to replicate the site to use in other countries with each site's content changed to suit the local language.

It's possible but you are rapidly crossing the Rubicon here into full-out CMS usage, and a rarified atmosphere not particularly suited for novices.  But it sounds to me like you are needing to look at Concrete 5 or Expression Engine for your CMS....

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Dreamweaver or CMS?
            EasyEdE Level 1

Thanks Murray. You've helped a lot by setting me straight on CMS and the suggestion of CMS applications. I'll take a look at them this evening.

Ed

• 3. Re: Dreamweaver or CMS?
              Mcshifty

Hi Ed,

You may want to check out Konductor—it supports any HTML/CSS code that you can put into a Dreamweaver template, ideally without tables as well.

http://www.konductor.net