2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 15, 2011 12:04 AM by Mylenium

Bizarre Issue regarding rendering?

DanGau156

Hi there,

I'm new to this software and my first project has created a bit of an issue.

For this work I wanted to give a lighting effect akin to a candle to a static image. I found a tutorial for the wiggle expression and applied it so. As far as I could see, everything seemed to be working in the large preview window.

ts1.jpg

However, when I rendered the project, the movie came out looking like this:

ts2.jpg

The wiggle effect works just perfectly, but the image is now skewed, almost like it isn't positioned correctly. I don't know if this is actually an issue of rendering or format even.

Has anyone had this issue? I haven't been able to find an adequate solution to this.

EDIT: Here;s a screencap of my render settings too: ts3.jpg

Thank you.

• 1. Re: Bizarre Issue regarding rendering?
          Dave LaRonde Level 6

Well, I'll just quote myself from the Creative Cow!

There aren't any effects applied to your still, so you couldn't have inadvertently used the Skew effect. I'm left with concluding that you have Open GL acceleration enabled for rendering, which is almost always a bad thing.

Adobe employees don't use it, so you should turn it off if it's on.

But if you're really new, and you're trying to go it alone, there is help available and you really should take advantage of it:

http://blogs.adobe.com/toddkopriva/2010/01/getting-started-with-after-eff.h...

You might be able to dope out how to insert a table into a Microsoft Word document just from the Help section. But as surely as day follows night, trying to learn AE without good training materials -- plus beginning at the beginning -- is a sure recipe for wasting time, frustration, and overlooking valuable features.

• 2. Re: Bizarre Issue regarding rendering?
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

This kind of skewing is a CoDec issue in the final output or a hardware issue in whatever player software you use. The long and short of it is, that a discrepancy between the timebase info and the actual pixel data leads to wrong decoding. There is/ was also a known bug with some Quicktime stuff, where AE would wrongly add an extra pixel at the end of each line, but not account for this pixel in teh file's resolution info, thus leading to the skewing because the pixels accumulated an increasing shift per line. Might even relate to meta data in the file. I can't remeber the exact specifics. in any case, use anotehr output format and experiment with your settings and aslo do check your player software's hardware acceleration options for potential issues.

Mylenium