13 Replies Latest reply on Dec 15, 2011 6:07 PM by TDToomey

File size conundrum

TDToomey Level 1

Snow Leopard, ID CS5

I have one 887.1MB. I need to divide the pages to reduce the file sizes. When I delete pages from a file, the size remains the same in Finder and in Bridge. Another file with the same number of pages and images shows 12.8MB while comperable files are approx 350MB. Any ideas what's going on? (Yes, I trashed prefs.) Any suggestions on how to get the correct files to show in the metadata?

Is there somewhere here where I can upload an ID file that has 2 pages with 48 embedded 3MB images. Metadata says it's 845.MB, the next file has 2 pages with 46 embedded image 3MBeach. Metadata shows 126.92MB.

Thanks in advance.

Toni

• 1. Re: File size conundrum
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

How long has it been since you did a Save AS on the file?

• 2. Re: File size conundrum
            TDToomey Level 1

Good point. In Finder, I Alt-dragged the original files to a new folder, and changed the file names . . . .

. . . WOW! Worked like a champ. Thanks!

Toni

• 3. Re: File size conundrum
              Joel Cherney Adobe Community Professional & MVP

???

I thought that alt-dragging in OS X generated a copy of the file. Dunno what you are doing here, but if you are within InDesign and do a save-as, then the file history gets eradicated. The InDesign save format retains stuff (like layers of undo) that accumulate in the saved file, but are not useable once the file has been closed and re-opened, so it's advisable to do a save-as periodcally to clean the file out. Whatever you did by alt-dragging was not what Peter suggested you do.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: File size conundrum
                TDToomey Level 1

Joel,

The Alt-drag comment was my abashed way of saying that rather than doing a Save As in order to create duplicate files, I copied then renaimed them in Finder. (We're talking about bunches and bunches of files). Very quick and convenient, but digitally speaking, quite wrong headed. Thank you for explaining  what the Save As does for the files.

File size wasn't an issue for the print service bureau. But for Look Inside, Amazon wants PDFs not to exceed 300MB. I'll have to go back and redo most of my work from yesterday. But getting the files the right size will be worth the effort.

Thanks you!

Toni

• 5. Re: File size conundrum
                  [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

Only FYI, but an inflated InDesign file size ought not have an effect on the PDF you send to Amazon. The size of ID vs. PDF files are not really related, except in the very broadest sense.

• 6. Re: File size conundrum
                    TDToomey Level 1

It shouldn't happen, but it was happening to the PDFs proportional to the skewed sized of the ID files. I think (hope) that it all goes back to the fact that the last time I had done a Save As was over a year ago (if ever) when I first started work on the book. I'll let you know if all this saving as helps the situation with the PDFs, because the author is really anxious to get the Look Inside up on Amazon.

Thanks, Toni

• 7. Re: File size conundrum
                      TDToomey Level 1

Jongware, regarding the PDFs, Amazon wants the images to be 300ppi or greater, but they don't care which PDF preset is used when they OCR the files. Which one would you use?

Thanks,

Toni

• 8. Re: File size conundrum
                        [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

Since you seem to have quite some imagery: one that keeps the file size down :)

Amazon's 300 dpi is enough to do professional printing with, so you might want to ask yourself, do you want to have your readers print your doc on professional repro equipment (300 dpi), or is a desktop printer enough (200 dpi or so, tops), or don't you care and is it just for viewing on-screen (then 96 dpi is close enough, if you don't intend your readers to zoom in).

• 9. Re: File size conundrum
                          TDToomey Level 1

This isn't for printing. Amazon's Look Inside feature displays parts of the book online to help the consumer decide whether they want to buy the book. They display 20% of the pages, but they want the entire book. The OCR makes the text searchable. Oceanic Graphic Printing ripped and printed and printed the ID files. I would take then on their word that the Preset doesn't matter, except that some of the Like Inside books are pretty fuzzy.

Cheers,

Toni

• 10. Re: File size conundrum
                            John Hawkinson Level 5

Jongware, regarding the PDFs, Amazon wants the images to be 300ppi or greater, but they don't care which PDF preset is used when they OCR the files. Which one would you use?

So, Jongware said:

one that keeps the file size down

But I would say the opposite! Choose the largest file size possible that still fits under your maximum. Because you want the best quality possible, at least assuming you trust Amazon's DRM. Some people might choose deliberately-fuzzy to confound the pirates.

• 11. Re: File size conundrum
                              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Can someone explain to me why OCR is even a factor here? Is not the text in the PDF already live and searchable?

• 12. Re: File size conundrum
                                John Hawkinson Level 5

I think it's just the generic advice from Amazon's system. They will OCR your document if need-be, because sometimes scanned PDFs are submitted rather than PDFs from an editorial system.

• 13. Re: File size conundrum
                                  TDToomey Level 1

John Hawkinson wrote:

I think it's just the generic advice from Amazon's system. They will OCR your document if need-be, because sometimes scanned PDFs are submitted rather than PDFs from an editorial system.    

Actually, they have very speific instructions that they want PDFs from the book files. For of any length that would call for a Look Inside, it would be a lot easier for the publisher or designer to save the book files as PDFs rather than scanning the pages. This should have been a quick job if I'd done Save As at the appropriate times.

Also, color in the photos and illustrations is a significat factor in the book. I asked if they recomment converting to RGB, I got this response,

Amazon said: "CMYK tend to fail in our ingestion process when trying to OCR files.

So that added more time to the task. 

Uploading the files to Amazon promises to be its own little nightmare, because following their instructions is a sureal experience in itself.