5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 24, 2011 11:05 AM by mikeklar

Areaca boot time

Frédéric Segard Level 2

Is there a way to speed up the Areaca FW boot time? The actual Windows boot time is faster then waiting for the damn Areca.

• 1. Re: Areaca boot time
          wonderspark Level 1

Not sure. I'm happy with it as is, because I had an Apple Mac PRO RAID card in my Mac before getting the Areca 1880ix-12, and my boot time was cut in half. From my perspective, it's an improvement!

• 2. Re: Areaca boot time
            JEShort01 Level 4

Frederic,

My Areca also seems to add lots of seconds to a cold boot, however it handles the Windows 7 64-bit OS "sleep" perfectly. Bottom line, I don't turn the PC off any more, I just put it to sleep. Try it, you may like it!

I tried hibernate too, a mode that works really well for my laptop, but it was slower on my system than a cold boot.

Jim

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Areaca boot time
              Baz R Level 3

Hi,

The Areca FW, checks all the connected HD's and if you have a few HD's it will take some time, I have an areca 16 port and takes aprox 30 secs or so.

Baz

• 4. Re: Areaca boot time
                Gazzaspi Level 1

Also, bear in mind that the 'stagger on power control' which you can set from 0.4 seconds to 6 seconds has a direct relationship on how long the card takes to boot. I tried my on 6 seconds and you have time to make yourself a sandwich and a cup of coffee!

• 5. Re: Areaca boot time
                  mikeklar Level 1

Good point, I tried it at 5 seconds when first installed the card and it took almost 30 seconds to boot up with 8 HDs in raid 3. 

Setting it at 0.4 seconds the FW takes between 3 and 8 seconds to check all connections.

Merry Christmas,

Michael