3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 1, 2015 9:23 PM by Bilal Ansari

Spacing is introduced between the letters when copying and pasting text

dge_010

I use Adobe Reader X 10.1.1 on Windows Vista, but this issue applies to all other Reader users I have tested regardless of their set-up:

When opening text-under-the-page-image pdfs in Adobe Reader and then copying and pasting the text, spacing is introduced between the letters:

For example, the word "testing" shows as "t e st i ng" in the output text document, but as "testing" on the original pdf.

This affects 50% of the 100,000 pdfs in the collection, with between 10% and 90% of the words within those showing this phenomenon.

The affected pdfs themselves are therefore unsearchable for the terms in question.

This does not occur when viewing and searching the pdfs in other viewers such as FoxIt or NitroPDF.

Nor does it occur when using File | Save As | Text or viewing the RTF or XML version.

I can consistently reproduce this phenomenon on specific files or across the entire collection, on both my own system and with anyone else who opens the pdfs in Reader.

Any suggestions much appreciated.

• 1. Re: Spacing is introduced between the letters when copying and pasting text
          MichaelKazlow MVP & Adobe Community Professional

You are trying to use Reader in ways unintended. The text behind the image of the pdf exists for searching purposes not for copy and pasting. If you had Acrobat you could try to use the OCR capability and then save the document as a word or rtf file. When this is done, the output is sometimes usuable sometims not worth the effort. Each version of Acrobat has improved its OCR capability. If you have images you wish to convert to text, you are best of using a dedicated OCR program.

• 2. Re: Spacing is introduced between the letters when copying and pasting text
            dge_010 Level 1

Many thanks, Michael.

On the face of it, yes, but in fact I had turned my email around to show effect before cause; the phenomenon actually means that Adobe Reader is unable to search the pdf yet searching is the intended purpose of Reader, as you say.

In contrast, other readers such as Foxit and NitroPDF are able to search the pdf.

Yet, behind the scenes, Reader has correctly picked up all the words as demonstrated when it outputs into the other formats I mentioned.  I do have a range of dedicated OCR programs but in this case I do not wish to convert my images to text, merely to view and search them.  I was "exposing" the text, specifically copying and pasting, to show the cause of Reader not picking up the search terms.

Please do let me have your further thoughts, Michael and/or others, and just let me know if you require any further information.

• 3. Re: Spacing is introduced between the letters when copying and pasting text
              Bilal Ansari Adobe Employee

Hi Andrew,

This issue is already fixed in Acrobat 11. Unfortunately, we are unable to resolve it for Acrobat 10.