11 Replies Latest reply on Dec 15, 2011 8:37 AM by Peter Spier

Do I need to uninstall CS5 prior to installing CS5.5?

Randy Kady

We are currently running CS5 and are thinking of upgrading to CS5.5. Our IT dept. is saying that the upgrade is not simple and that we will need to install CS5 as well as double check to make sure several preference files are deleted prior to installing CS5.5. I was wondering if this was true and if any one else has encountered this problem. Thank you for your time.

• 1. Re: Do I need to uninstall CS5 prior to installing CS5.5?
          Daniel Flavin Level 4

You can install CS5.5 and leave CS5 installed without conflict.

It is NOT recommended to install CS5 after installing CS5.5

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Do I need to uninstall CS5 prior to installing CS5.5?
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Your IT department is spouting nonsence. The CS5.5 installer is completely independent and will not affect your installation of ID CS5. Some common files may be overwritten with newer versions, but this should have no effect on existing installations.

Since CS5.5 files are not backward compatible, if you still need to collaborate with other users who have not updated, it's very important to keep CS5 installed and to use it, rather than CS5.5, on those projects. In addition to Daniel's advice regarding installing out of order, DO NOT uninstall any older version of InDesign AFTER you install a new one or you will remove or damage common files used by the new version and will find you have to reinstall. If you absolutley, positively want to remove the old version (and I strongly recommend against this), do it first.

Prefence files probably will work if copied from CS5 to CS5.5, and other things like find change queries, workspaces and shorcut sets should work too. Shortcut sets from CS4 or earlier will not work, and will cause problems.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Do I need to uninstall CS5 prior to installing CS5.5?
              Randy Kady Level 1

Peter, I just want to make sure I am understanding you correctly. If we are upgrading to CS5.5 it doesn't overwrite CS5, it just install CS5.5 so both applications are available?

• 4. Re: Do I need to uninstall CS5 prior to installing CS5.5?
                Daniel Flavin Level 4

In that order, yes. Upgrade to CS5.5, CS5 need not be removed and as Peter stated, there are valid reasons to leave the CS5 installed.

• 5. Re: Do I need to uninstall CS5 prior to installing CS5.5?
                  Randy Kady Level 1

Thank you! You guys have been most helpful!

• 6. Re: Do I need to uninstall CS5 prior to installing CS5.5?
                    John Hawkinson Level 5

Also, the ordering dependency was a real issue for CS3, I'm under the impression that it is not such a real problem as of CS5, at least on the Mac. Perhaps there is anecdotal evidence to the contrary though?

• 7. Re: Do I need to uninstall CS5 prior to installing CS5.5?

John Hawkinson wrote:

Also, the ordering dependency was a real issue for CS3, I'm under the impression that it is not such a real problem as of CS5, at least on the Mac. Perhaps there is anecdotal evidence to the contrary though?

My position on this is that the problems were most likely caused by overwriting support files with old versions when installing out of order, and that's not likely to have changed, and that ther really is no good reason for doing it, anyway.

If you have to install two versions, just do it in order. If it's just an upgrade to a newer version, leave the old on alone and avoid the problem entirely.

• 8. Re: Do I need to uninstall CS5 prior to installing CS5.5?
                        BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

+1

I have machines with CS3, CS4, CS5 and CS5.5. I don’t typically uninstall older versions though if there is an occasion to reinstall an operating system I may well leave out old versions.

Case in point. Built a new machine a few months back and started with CS5. I simply have no real need for anything earlier and CS3 and CS4 are still installed on my laptop if I ever do need them in a pinch.

Bob

• 9. Re: Do I need to uninstall CS5 prior to installing CS5.5?
                          John Hawkinson Level 5

I think there's a bit too much FUD about this.

The Adobe installers don't write files willy-nilly.

They have a very complex versioning and interdependancy architecture to make sure that any shared files (of which there should be very few common to two different versions of the program -- but many common between, say, AI CS5 and ID CS5) are of the proper version, and are not in conflict, and there are lots of checks before overwriting files.

Check out the PDApp.log and the voluminous installer logfiles for a taste of this.

It's possible that it sometimes breaks (and I believe the liklihood of breakage is increased with prerelease software, if any of that is in the mix), but my experience is that installing versions in any order is OK, so I don't want to encourage unnecessary hoop-jumping...

Some logs from a recent CS5-then-CS5.5 installation that give you an inkling of the dependency calculations:

______ Verify Dependency Subscribers ______
                          [       0] Wed Dec  7 05:11:55 2011  WARN
                          DS013: Payload {298CF0B0-8B47-46DF-B726-8E4BFAD5432E} AdobeHelp 1.0.0.0 is already installed and the session payload {0175676F-8C92-49F2-9131-D0D6AD654B41} AdobeHelp 
                          3.4.0.0 has no upgrade/conflict relationship with it.
                          DS013: Payload {A8798E04-96FF-4564-9157-0D4C89CB794C} DynamiclinkSupport 5.0.0.0 is already installed and the session payload {1A1E5FF9-D0FD-42A3-8E18-E5E7E95E1AB4} D
                          ynamiclinkSupport 5.5.0.0 has no upgrade/conflict relationship with it.
                          DS013: Payload {66173EC7-974E-4652-9468-4A93D2481BF0} CSXS Story Extension 1.0.0.0 is already installed and the session payload {3450d4c5-a82b-4428-a512-842ee1555a14}
                           CSXS Story Extension 2.5.0.0 has no upgrade/conflict relationship with it.

and then:

Successfully installed 92 components:
                           - AdobeHelp

- AdobeColorEU CS5.5
                          Successfully repaired 13 components:
                           - Adobe WinSoft Linguistics Plugin CS5
                          - Recommended Common Fonts Installation
                          Successfully removed 2 components:
                           - HIL Help Search
                           - Suite Shared Configuration CS5
                          -------------------------------------- Summary --------------------------------------
                           - 0 fatal error(s), 1 error(s), 10 warning(s)

• 10. Re: Do I need to uninstall CS5 prior to installing CS5.5?
                            macinbytes Level 4

Honestly even with that the order isn't important unless you need SING Gaji. I had to install CS3 over CS4 and CS5 awhile back and that was the only issue I had and the only issue I've ran into with any InDesign installation so far.

I just delete SING from all my installations, which has no consequence to me since I don't work with Asian languages in InDesign.

When InDesign doesn't work and you spend an hour trying to figure out why and it ends up being SING it is a real headscratcher though. I've had SING ball up even on machines that didn't do upgrades out of the recommended order.

• 11. Re: Do I need to uninstall CS5 prior to installing CS5.5?

You guys can believe waht you want about installation order. I'm quite sure we still see an occasional problem report that is traceable to an out of order install, and there's pretty much no reason for it to happen. Is it that much more work to uninstall new versions if necessary to reinstall in order the first time compared to having to do it over after a failure of some sort, especially if document integrity could be compromised? FUD or not, I still opt for chronology, and I keep a spare tire in my trunk even though I haven't needed one since 1972.