8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 17, 2011 3:36 AM by Rick Gerard

How to replace text with vector image in 3d space

tdsilk Level 1

Hello,

I want to replace the text in this template http://vimeo.com/15026094 with a vector image logo.

Any ideas would be helpful. Btw, I have CS4.

Thanks,

td

• 1. Re: How to replace text with vector image in 3d space
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Parent the layer to the text, turn off the visibility of the text or simply copy&paste whatever keyframes and effects are applied to the text to your new layer.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: How to replace text with vector image in 3d space
            Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Select the text layer in your timeline then select the logo in the project pannel, then hold down the Alt/Option key and drag the logo to the timeline. It will replace the text layer. You may need to tweak position or scale.

Any of the above techniques will work.

• 3. Re: How to replace text with vector image in 3d space

Actually trying to replace in the timeline would trigger the notorious "Layer has no source" warning...

Mylenium

• 4. Re: How to replace text with vector image in 3d space
                tdsilk Level 1

I tried both methods and get the Warning: Layer does not have a source. Any other ideas?

• 5. Re: How to replace text with vector image in 3d space

Sorry about the miss information. Didn't read your question very well.

Here's what I'd do:

1. Select the layer you want to replace, text, shape, whatever.
                  2. Reveal all of the animated properties that you want to transfer to your new layer. Usually pressing the U key will suffice.
                    • Note: Text animations and shape animators will be ignored unless the new layer is a text or shape layer.
                  3. Select these properties in the timeline.
                  4. Go to Menu>Animation>Save Animation Preset.
                  5. Move your replacement layer to the timeline.
                  6. Move the CTI to the first frame of your composition.
                  7. Go to Menu>Animation>Apply Animation Preset and pick the one you just created.

Everything, including any effects you may have applied will be transferred to the new layer. I find this easier than trying to reveal all animated keyframes in the project, copy them, and paste them to the appropriate properties.

• 6. Re: How to replace text with vector image in 3d space
                    tdsilk Level 1

@Rick

I tried your suggestion, but the effect wouldn't apply. Does it matter that my vector image is an Adobe Illustrator (.AI) file?

I even tried to create a Shape layer and apply the preset and it wouldn't take. However, when I created a new text layer

the preset applied. What I'm I missing?

Thanks for all the help

Troy

• 7. Re: How to replace text with vector image in 3d space

I'm not sure what you are saying here, but if you are trying to use text animation presets on anything other than text layers, then it won't work. Only text layers have text animators and that's pretty much what drives most of these presets in combination with additional animation and masks, possibly. You wil lhave to animate your vector artwork the hard way manualyl, I'm afraid.

Mylenium

• 8. Re: How to replace text with vector image in 3d space

I finally took a look at your Vimeo example and I'd guess that the animation of the text was created with Text Animators and range selectors. As Mylenium said, and as I said

Reveal all of the animated properties that you want to transfer to your new layer. Usually pressing the U key will suffice.

• Note: Text animations and shape animators will be ignored unless the new layer is a text or shape layer.

You need read up on Text Animators so you can understand them.

Type a question in the search field at the top right corner of After Effects.

Screen Shot 2011-12-17 at 3.32.36 AM.png

And you'll find all of these resources. (providing you have the Adobe Help preferences set to search the web)

Animation presets will save all animated properties applied to a layer, but they will only apply the keyframes to properties that exist on the layer. Text Animators only exist in text layers so you'll have to animate your logo by hand or grab yourself a font creation tool and recreate your logo as a font.