2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 15, 2011 7:15 AM by the_wine_snob

Adobe Premier Elements 9

Granny.50

I purchased Elements 9 about 8 months ago, but have been unable to use it until now. I am trying to import a video that was taken with a Kodak EasyShare M340. It is giving me an error message that states "The importer reported a generic error". What is that supposed to mean and how do I correct it. I am on a time constraint and need to have several of these completed by the end of the weekend for a client. Please help as quickly as possible. Thank you in advance.

• 1. Re: Adobe Premier Elements 9
          ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Can you play the Kodak files on the machine you’re trying to import them on?  This error message has to do with Premier not understanding what it is seeing in the video file.  Sometimes this is due to some sort of DRM encryption or copy protection but that would be unlikely in this case. 

Is Premier Elements 9 up-to-date?  You might download the PE 10 trial version and see if it works in that, instead, and then decide if you want to buy it. 

There may be software that came with that camera that would supply the proper codec.  You also might try posting this message in the Premier Pro forum because importing should be about the same.

• 2. Re: Adobe Premier Elements 9
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

Can you give us the full specs. of the files from the Kodak camera? This ARTICLE will give you background on file formats, CODEC's and also tell you how to determine the makeup of AV files.

Also, this ARTICLE starts with a checklist of things to do, to get PrE running the best.

Good luck,

Hunt