3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 15, 2011 10:23 AM by Petteri_Paananen

Searchable Text in SWF file

arellaa4

I am creating an interactive document in InDesign and exporting it as a SWF file.  I would like the text in the SWF file to be searchable text.  Do I need to set up the document a certain way to achieve this?  Can I create a search button within InDesign that will allow this to happen?  Is there an add-on you can use to have the search option available within the flash player?  I would greatly appreciate any knowledge and help regarding this issue.  Thanks!

• 1. Re: Searchable Text in SWF file
          Petteri_Paananen Level 4

No, there´s no such feature in InDesign. Actually the text InDesign exports, if use SWF as a format, is quite a mess. Words are splitted to separate characters and it´s not even closely in searchable form.

3rd party finalizing tool for SWF files exported from InDesign - eDocker - can however create a simple keyword search for you document. Search is still in beta feature but it works if you just need to have a textfield where end-user can write a word or phrase to search for. After clicking search button, he/she will receive a list of search results, which are also links pointing to those pages where actual results are.

Check for instance this link:

http://www.nypa.gov/AR09/annualReport09.html

Try word empire and you will get few results to pages where that word can be found.....

You will find eDocker here>>

• 2. Re: Searchable Text in SWF file
            arellaa4 Level 1

Thank you very much for your feedback!

I thought since in the swf export options you could choose Flash Classic Text to output searchable text that there may be a way to add that feature to the document.  I am going to look into the options you suggested, but off the top of your head do you know if eDocker allows the interactivity features a swf file that a pdf doesn't (ie. animation)?

• 3. Re: Searchable Text in SWF file
              Petteri_Paananen Level 4

Yes, eDocker supports all the interactivity that InDesign can create to SWF files; animations, multistate objects, hyperlinks, buttons, videos.

Check this interactive sample:

http://www.edocker.com/_demo/edocker-online-demo/index.html

-slideshow made with multistate objects at page 2

-video and hyperlinks at page 3

-animation that user have to trigger at page 4 (touch the edge of image on top-left corner)

-animation that starts on page load at page 4-5