6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 17, 2012 3:55 AM by pgauba

Project won't fit on DVD disc?

C J Maud

Hello,

Just wondering if anyone can help me please?

I videoed my niece's wedding which was in the avchd format.  I've now compiled the video for her which is 51mins 52 seconds long with quit a few effects/transitions in, but when I go to Share/Disc the bitrate is 5.89mbps when fitting to a DVD disc (4.37GB), apparently it needs 5.93GB of disc space for it to burn in the best quality (8mbps) in SD.

So my question is, is there a way that I can burn this project to a standard DVD disc as it is without losing SD quality, unfortunately BD isn't an option at this time?

I'm currently using  APE 7.

Thankyou

• 1. Re: Project won't fit on DVD disc?
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>burn in the best quality (8mbps) in SD

2 Options

1 - lower your bitrate to shrink the output

2 - use Dual Layer discs

• 2. Re: Project won't fit on DVD disc?
            C J Maud Level 1

Thankyou for your quick response and answer!

I didn't know if there was a workaround or not- guess not. This took me by surprise (not fitting) as I'd done other videos slightly longer  and burnt at the full bitrate for SD, but then maybe there wasn't as many effects etc, I presume the more effects/transitions/titles etc etc the more space it takes up on the disc, I'll have to watch for that in future!

Thankyou

• 3. Re: Project won't fit on DVD disc?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Well, you are going from HD to SD, and there are two good ways to do that:

Follow Jeff Bellune's HD2SD TUTORIAL, using freeware to down-rez the material.

From PrE, Export/Share your Project to DV-AVI. Then Import that into a DV Project for the authoring.

Personally, I like John T's rec. to use DL (8.5GB) blank media, and I always ONLY use Verbatim DL's - DVD-9's.

If you still have problems with the size, and do not want to go much lower in the Bit-Rate, you might be able to "squeeze" the files a bit, with a program, like DVD Squeeze. To do that, you would choose the DVD-9/DL option, but then Burn to Folder. With DVD Squeeze, you would then process the resultant VIDEO_TS folder with the IFO, BUP and mainly the VOB files. You might be able to keep a good Bit-Rate, and get the size down to fit onto a DVD-5 (4.7GB).

Any DVD player with the "DVD" logo, is certified to play both DVD-5's, and DVD-9's, but with one big caveat - no DVD player is certified to play ANY burned DVD, though most do just fine. A few, mostly older ones, balk at any burned DVD-9's, but are certified to play all replicated DVD-9's. Most titles from Hollywood are replicated onto DVD-9 discs.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Project won't fit on DVD disc?
                C J Maud Level 1

Thankyou for your help, I will look into this and see what I can do!

• 5. Re: Project won't fit on DVD disc?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Sorry, but Ilisted the program incorrectly. It is DVDShrink (not "squeeze").I knew that something did not sound right, but could not figure out what it was.

Apologize,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Project won't fit on DVD disc?
                    pgauba Adobe Employee

The better option is to use Dual layer dvd disc with high bit rate(8 mbps).

Thanks,

Pankaj Gauba