4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 17, 2011 10:08 AM by GSIDesign

newbie question. How to insert equal spaces between clips?

GSIDesign Level 1

Hi forum,

I haven't used After Effects for about 10 years and now I'm back with baby steps So be patient and gentle if I don't get it quickly.

I created a simple composition with a bunch of clips one after another. They come all on different layers which I guess is how it is suppose to be. I want to put an equal time space between each clip and I want on that space to have a transition between the last and first frames of the adjacent clips.

I spaced the clips by dragging and eyeballing the gaps between them trying to be equal but would like to know if there is some distribution function that does this easier and better.

• 1. Re: newbie question. How to insert equal spaces between clips?
          Dave LaRonde Level 6

My browser is pretty old, and doing some of the fancy cuttin', pastin' and insertin' this forum allows doesn't always work.  So I have to careful when I establish a link to a page in AE's online Help.

First thing to do: establish the time space between clips.  For example, 1 second at 29.97, 30 frames.

Enable time remapping on your clips.  You can now extend the out-point for each by 2 seconds, which hasn't changed since AE 3.1. 

Highlight the Time Remapping property, which highlights both keyframes.  Grab the first, move it one second ahead in time.  The also-highlighted second keyframe follows along.  You now have a one-second freeze frame at the head & tail of that clip.  Repeat this process as necessary.

Arrange the layers in the order they should appear, from top to bottom in the timeline.  Put all the clips' in points at 00:00 if they aren't there already.  The easy way: highlight a layer (or multiple layers) and hit Option-Home (Mac).

Select ALL the layers, Command-a (Mac), and use the Sequence Layers command.  With this command, you can specify the amount of overlap (1 second or 30 frames in our example) PLUS a transition... like a dissolve, running the duration of the overlap.

Read all about this handy command here:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/AfterEffects/9.0/WS3878526689cb91655866c1103906c6dea-7e8ba.htm l

Slicker'n snot on a doorknob.

• 2. Re: newbie question. How to insert equal spaces between clips?
            GSIDesign Level 1

Thank you  Dave,

Is there some an automated way to space each clip 1 or more frames apart? I created a text layer 1 second long and moved it as a snapping helper between clips but it will be great if there is an easier way.

• 3. Re: newbie question. How to insert equal spaces between clips?
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You can adjust the overlap with sequence layers to a negative number or a positive number. I keep my timeline set to frames. Just follow this movie and you'll see how to sequence your layers. BTW, layer length doesn't matter, but they must all be arranged so that they start at the first frame of the timeline for the overlap to be accurate.

• 4. Re: newbie question. How to insert equal spaces between clips?
                GSIDesign Level 1

Thank you, very much appreciated

edit: Dave thank you to you too, by some reason the Helpful button in your message is not working.

Message was edited by: GSIDesign