9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 23, 2011 11:02 AM by Glitchdog

Best practices for archiving edited avchd videos?

Stephen Pickering122 Level 1

Hi there,

I have some AVCHD projects (.mts files from Panasonic HMC40) which were edited in prpro cs5 with sequence settings matching the footage.  I mostly upload to youtube and vimeo or put on DVD.  What's the best format to export as for archiving?  Eventually the will be put on bluray, so should I just compress for that now or is there another format for maximum options in the future?

Thanks!

-stephen

• 1. Re: Best practices for archiving edited avchd videos?
          joe bloe premiere Level 5

I use a lossless codec like Lagarith or UT for archived masters.

That makes it simple to go back and re-compress or burn if needed.

• 2. Re: Best practices for archiving edited avchd videos?
            LluisV Level 1

I have two external usb hard disks that I use as final archive.

I save two copies of the full project, and iso files of rendered DVD an BD. One in each hard disk.

I use to work with 10 projects a year.

External Hard disks are unexpensive now. When it are full I will buy two more.

• 3. Re: Best practices for archiving edited avchd videos?
              Glitchdog Level 1

We are currently archiving to ProRes HQ (we're Mac based) from our previous format HDV and our new format AVCHD (AG160P). I would like to try out the free Avid DNxHD only because I'm not sure how/if  Apple will cont. to develop ProRes. My guess is yes, but I'm suspicious.

Our general rule for archiving (masters and source) and our IT department does the same, is short-term archive on hard drive and long-term on DLT (160gb tapes). I'm interested in blu-ray but have not had the time to research long-term stability. I know that DVD media had a dye shift issue for some years where a disk would suddenly become unreadable. Mitsui/MAM-A have a really nice gold DVD that has a 100 year rating. Unfortunately that's too small for what we do, as you know. I'd be keen to know if others have done some current research on long-term archives on a budget.

• 4. Re: Best practices for archiving edited avchd videos?
                Toomany3 Level 1

Glitchdog wrote:

We are currently archiving to ProRes HQ (we're Mac based) from our previous format HDV and our new format AVCHD (AG160P). I would like to try out the free Avid DNxHD only because I'm not sure how/if  Apple will cont. to develop ProRes. My guess is yes, but I'm suspicious.

That's smart.  My guess is Apple will NOT continue development.  They, IMO, are getting out of the pro business all together.  I mean, have you SEEN Final Cut Pro X?  What a joke!

Regarding DNxHD, that's what I use.  I love it.  It's my favorite codec.  I use it every day and haven't experienced ANY problems.  What's also nice about it is it can also save alpha chanels.

• 5. Re: Best practices for archiving edited avchd videos?
                  Glitchdog Level 1

Toomany3, is there any chart/list on the web that lays out the various strains of DNxHD? I haven't been able to find anything in a casual search that gives me a quick idea how different DNxHD compressions might relate to, say ProRes HQ or ProRes Proxy.

BTW, we did give FCPX a spin, edited one simple project. I guess it's the tiny bit of maverick in me with so many ripping it apart. It's not for us at this stage, but I like some aspects of it and you can edit really fast once you get your head wrapped around it. It's just such a different beast than any non-linear I've worked with and it feels so consumer-ish. I think you're spot on about Apple getting out of the pro biz, but I'm hope we're both wrong. I may be editing on an iMac in a few years.

• 6. Re: Best practices for archiving edited avchd videos?

Thanks for the info.  I tried out DNxHD today but I'm curious about why this would be used over Lagarith.  I understand Lagarith is lossless while DNxHD is not.  I know Lagarith has no codec for Mac but I'm mostly using PC hardware (at least for my workstations).  I read that DNxHD is smaller size but its not THAT much smaller.  Visually I do not see a difference.

I do archive to external harddrives (2 seperate drives) and hdd space is not a huge issue (within reason).

Because I'm using PC I don't have ProRes.

So is there a real good reason to choose one over the other or is it just personal taste?  I suppose if there's ever a chance of my switching to Mac hardware in the futre then DNxHD might be the best option even though it is "Lossy," right?

Thanks!

-Stephen

• 7. Re: Best practices for archiving edited avchd videos?

Alright, I had forgotten to thange the Lagarith frame size to HD (I had it still set for an earlier project which was SD 720x480).  After changing that setting the Lagarith file is almost twice the size of the DNxHD file.  I think I'll try this DNxHD for a while to see how it works.  I was however disapointed to find that Encore couldn't compress the DNxHD files when I dropped them in, but I can always compress to m2v prior to importing if needed.

Thanks again,

-Stephen

• 8. Re: Best practices for archiving edited avchd videos?
                        Toomany3 Level 1

is this taken? wrote:

Alright, I had forgotten to thange the Lagarith frame size to HD (I had it still set for an earlier project which was SD 720x480).  After changing that setting the Lagarith file is almost twice the size of the DNxHD file.  I think I'll try this DNxHD for a while to see how it works.  I was however disapointed to find that Encore couldn't compress the DNxHD files when I dropped them in, but I can always compress to m2v prior to importing if needed.

Thanks again,

-Stephen

I can't even see the difference between DNxHD and QT/Animation/100 or Lagarith.  The quality appears to be the same TO ME. I'm sure others will say they see the difference, but I don't. What I can't see won't hurt me, right?  But the biggest thing to me, even if there is a 1 or 2% quality loss, If it's half the size of a Lagarith or Animation and I can get real-time playback in Premiere (unlike Animation), it's well worth it to me.

• 9. Re: Best practices for archiving edited avchd videos?
                          Glitchdog Level 1

Ditto what Toomany3 says. I know that's at least one reason why ProRes was created and no doubt DNxHD. If you're a purest I would always do a brief comparison on the scopes (waveform/vectorscope) to see any differences on that level along with visual. With ProRes (and I bet DNxHD) the difference on scopes in my casual testing is very very minimal.

I think you should be able to compress anything in Encore if the codec is installed on your computer. On the Mac it would be under Quicktime, not in an Encoder preset until you create one.