8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 23, 2011 3:07 AM by Bernd Alheit

Need help opening pdf files

Brockflock

I have a cd, which I have had for several years, and was able to use until the last year.  Suddenly, Adobe Reader (I have tried several versions, updates, fixes, whatever!) says that each and every pdf file on the disk is damaged.

This is a cd that used to be able to start up on its own, and had various menus to get to the final pdf pages.  I cannot open the files through windows explorer, nor by going through the menus.  Each time, the error message tells me the file(s) was damaged because it was sent via e-mail or some other method that caused the files to be damaged.  The problem with that is that the files and the cd were never altered, as the cd is not a rewritable one.  It is also not pirated, if anyone is going to ask that question.

The cd is a manual for my vehicle.  It has a parts manual, and a workshop manual along with other items.  When the cd is put into the drive, it starts automatically, but cannot get a single file open.  I have tried this in two different systems, and I get the same results.  The strange thing is that I have files made under earlier Reader versions that still work.  So why not this one, and why isn't someone at Adobe available to help me straighten this out?  Shame on them!

• 1. Re: Need help opening pdf files
          ~graffiti Adobe Community Professional & MVP

CD's DO have a shelf life. Could be that the CD itself is damaged (try cleaning it).

But one thing you can try. Instead of opening the PDF's from the CD, copy a couple to your hard drive, open Reader and use File>Open to try and open them. Let us know if it works.

What version of Reader do you have and how old are the PDF's?

• 2. Re: Need help opening pdf files
            PraveenAggarwal

I am facing the similar problem. Not able to open some PDFs. Was able to open till 2-3 months back. Did some analysis that not able to open the files created with version older the 9.0 of Adobe Reader. Also tried to open the same PDFs in my colleagues' Laptops and my home PC. No Success.

NEED SERIOUS ATTENTION FROM ADOBE.

• 3. Re: Need help opening pdf files
              Claudio González Most Valuable Participant

PraveenAggarwal wrote:

I am facing the similar problem. Not able to open some PDFs. Was able to open till 2-3 months back. Did some analysis that not able to open the files created with version older the 9.0 of Adobe Reader. Also tried to open the same PDFs in my colleagues' Laptops and my home PC. No Success.

NEED SERIOUS ATTENTION FROM ADOBE.

You are in a user to user forum. If you want attention from Adobe, you'll have to contact Adobe and pay for the attention, as they don't provide free attention for problems related with the free Reader.

Adobe Reader cannot create PDF files, only open (read) them. If you cannot open some PDFs from within Reader in your machine and others, most probably they are damaged. Are you receiving any error messages when you try to open them? "Not able to open" doesn't say much, really.

• 4. Re: Need help opening pdf files
                Brockflock Level 1

The reader isn't free if I paid for items that must use it.  The creator of those items paid Adobe, and I paid them.  Thus, I contributed, albeit unwillingly, to the revenues of Adobe.  They broke the trust when they created updates to their software that eliminated my ability to use items for which I have already paid.  Again, SHAME ON THEM! 

In the meantime, what is fascinating is that I have finally found an even older version of the disk, with a 4.x version of Reader, and it works.  No thanks to the flunkies at Adobe.  And I am sure they have my attention - they run this forum.  It only goes to show they couldn't care less, and they are not trustworthy enough to try to solve the problem.  Maybe that is why Apple doesn't use them?

• 5. Re: Need help opening pdf files
                  Brockflock Level 1

Thanks, but the disk looks pretty darned clean and undamaged.  I keep it in the original case in which it came, and it is not subject to abuse from anyone. 

• 6. Re: Need help opening pdf files
                    ~graffiti Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Did you try copying one from the disk to your hard drive and opening it? If so, what happened?

• 7. Re: Need help opening pdf files
                      Brockflock Level 1

Yes.  And same sh$t.  Nothing.  It's Adobe.

• 8. Re: Need help opening pdf files
                        Bernd Alheit Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Brockflock wrote:

Yes.  And same sh$t.  Nothing.  It's Adobe.

Adobe can't help when the files are damaged.